Gaming moniter @ <$300

Dreforian

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: in time for memorial day savings!

Budget Range: $300 or less Before Rebates

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, watching internet video (HD content), surfing the internet

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Brand Preferences: I'd prefer to avoid LG (more on this below); currently very happy with my Samsung HDTV so I'm disposed toward trusting them more.

Physical Size (Diagonal): something similar to my 19" 1280x1024

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: new computer coming with nvidia geforce 570 GTX, DVI and HDMI preferred.

Panel Type(s) Desired: TN?

LED Backlight: Indifferent / Avoided - from what i read I'd prefer CCFL over LED but I could settle for LED if other needs are met/ performance hit is low

Speakers: Indifferent - wont use them

Wall-Mount: Indifferent

Stand Functions: tilt, hight depending on size of stand

Additional Comments: some obvious things: quick response time, low input lag are desired since this will be primarily for gaming.

About my setup: I currently own a 40" 1080p Samsung HDTV and a PS3 so I don't need another solution for Blu-ray. I also have an (aging) Dell with a geforce 210 in it. I will be replacing this within a week or two with a new system that has a geforce 570 GTX. I was considering hooking up the old PC to the Samsung to watch internet tv and the like with it, while the new rig would get a new monitor.

My current monitor is an LG Flatron L1970HR. Pros: I like this aspect ratio for gaming, it was advertised with 2ms response time, and I was going from a bulky Dell CRT at the time. Cons: bought it at best buy and later looked it up on newegg; reviews said it handled small text poorly and soon after acquiring it I somehow managed to bend the neck/base assembly so that it could no longer fold up again. Pro-tip: if it wont go, don't force it! had some dead pixels early on, some went away, some got comfy and wont pay rent.

Response time and input lag are obviously important since I play a lot of computer games, especially WoW. I'm very sensitive to even the slightest difference in input lag due to graphics setting, latency, etc. So responsiveness is paramount. That said, I don't know if the GtG response time translates directly to input lag. Would I notice a difference with a 5ms monitor with a gaming feature vs a 2ms moniter with the same feature? I don't know the stats of my Samsung well but I did notice that with the gaming mode turned on that input lag was much more reasonable even when it was hooked up to my 210 card.

Resolution is something I'm iffy on. I like the aspect ratio of my LG and I wouldn't want a widescreen moniter of the same (19") size. A widescreen equivalent might be acceptable (meaning I would get slightly more horizontal space). The other option would be a 1900x1200 24" monitor since the aspect ratio is closer to my old 4:3, but at that size it might actually be too much screen for my desk and I.

Some samples of things I've looked at that reflect different features I may want:

- HP LA2405wg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176141

- ASUS VH236H (as well as the 24" version with slightly better viewing angle)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

- Acer S231HLbid
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255

- SAMSUNG BX2231 (larger wouldn't hurt, but again I don't know exactly what size I need)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001444

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Hi, I'm not new to the site but I am to the forum!

That links to the Asus VW246H.

This is the link to the Asus VH236H:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059&Tpk=VH236H

You can read my review for the Asus VK246H / VW246H in the following thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat-panel-monitor-reviews-thread

Based on price alone the Asus VH236H would be the better choice of the above mentioned Asus monitors.

That may be difficult, since many other brands get the LCD panels from LG, and add their own electronics and enclosures.

Input lag is generally separate from response time, but the LCD monitors considered to have zero input lag usually have no response time compensation (RTC), and thus a higher response time.

As far as widescreen equivalent, a 19 inch 1280x1024 monitor has 86.3 pixels per inch. I think the closest you'd get in a recent widescreen monitor is 25.5 inches and 1920x1200, which is 88.5 pixels per inch. Many such monitors would be out of your price range, but you might be able to find the Asus VW266H within (or almost within) your price range. If that's too big, you might look at the Samsung P2450H or P2370.

Dreforian

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
@jaguarskx, woops! I had both open in tabs and I copied the wrong link.

@MauveCloud the thing that made me most leery of LG was actually the base. I was trying to unfold it to set it up in my dorm and it wouldn't move past a certain point. I couldn't figure out what was locking it up so I forced it and of course, bent some piece of metal in the neck. I got it opened up enough to use, but I never got it to go back. Mostly my fault, but I'd like something with less physical fuss. Oh, and I couldnt just remove the stand because the ports and power run through the base.

Good to know that response time and input lag aren't intrinsically connected. That makes me feel better about considering a 5ms display and I've learned it doesn't make a perceptible difference between 2ms and 5ms.

The display size information confuses me a little. What I was trying to say was that if I go with a 1920x1080 monitor, how big would it have to be diagonally to minimize the height loss going from a 4:3 aspect ratio to a 16:9?

also, the SAMSUNG P2370HD you suggested (I think) looks nice

Here's a comparison of panel heights (not counting the bezel or stand):
A 19 inch 1280x1024 monitor (which btw has a 5:4 aspect ratio, rather than 4:3) has a panel height of about 301 mm.
A 23 inch 1920x1080 monitor has a panel height of about 286 mm.
A 23.6 inch 1920x1080 monitor has a panel height of about 294 mm.
A 24 inch 1920x1080 monitor has a panel height of about 299 mm.
A 24.6 inch 1920x1080 monitor has a panel height of about 307 mm.
A 22 inch 1920x1200 monitor has a panel height of about 296.4 mm.
A 23 inch 1920x1200 monitor has a panel height of about 309.6 mm.

In TFT Central's panel parts database, I see there is also a 22.5 inch 1920x1200 panel, which would probably have a panel height of about 303 mm, but it's only available on the Eizo CG232W, and the lowest price I find for that monitor is about $9306 :eek:

Dreforian

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Precisely what I wanted to know, thanks for digging it up for me! and in such detail! Yeah that 22.5 panel can go jump in a lake for that price, I'm not that desperate for the resolution. Also shows how much I know about aspect ratios, I didn't do the math and assumed it was 4:3 because I don't see 5:4 very often at all.

I doubt I'll seriously miss less than 2cm of my panel height so I'll probably try to pack as much quality into a sub $300 23" 1920x1080 monitor as I can.

Dreforian

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
And of course as soon as I narrow down the field, I find the Asus VG236HE.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236104
Outside of my ideal budget but grossly featured. If there were a way to buy this monitor without paying for the extra 3D feature I'd snap it up. 3D (and mostly any eyewear) makes my eyes hurt unfortunately. Things I like: size, response time, refresh rate, contrast ratio (I know dynamic doesn't really count but low numbers make me wary of quality).

Technically I can afford a more expensive monitor but I'm trying not to go spend crazy after having thrown 2k at my new rig. Still, it might be worth it to match quality with quality.

Dreforian

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Thought of another question that might weigh heavily on my final decision:

How would you rate the customer service of the major brands? I'm looking most closely at Asus, Acer and Samsung but if there are other companies with good reps, feel free to add them.

Thanks again and again.