Gaming pc build- need some help

marcel8090

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my pc in next 2 weeks, my budget is £600, can you have a look at what I have came up with ?

Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C10 1866Mhz (£90- used)
GeForce GTX 1060 Jetstream RGB 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (£260)
ASUS H81M-Plus Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard (£50)
Intel Core i5-4690K 4690K 4GHz Unlocked PC CPU 4690 K LGA1150 (£150-used- 2 years warranty)
ATX 500B power supply (already have)
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB (already have)

My questions are:
What kind of cpu cooler should I buy ?
Does the current power supply is enough ?
And.. does all of those parts are gonna be compatible and work well ?

Thanks

Solution

5% difference maybe between the 1300x & the 4690k at stock speeds.
Overclocked the ryzen will match or maybe beat it on some titles.

Honestly they're pretty closely matched.

Just

1.The ryzen is cheaper
2.It comes with a decent cooler
3,Its overclockable
4.It puts you on a new upgradeable socket.

Just a hands down better choice,then take into account you can get say Destiny 2 &...
The 4690K and the H81 aren't supposed to be paired with each other. You would need to use a Z97 board,which I can't fin over at Amazon UK. They will work just fine with each other. The issue is the K. That's an overclock friendly CPU in a non-overclock friendly motherboard.

I use a 212 Evo with a second fan with my 4690K. I use a MSI Z97 PC Mate with my 4690K. The 212 Evo with one fan is enough for the 4690K I just prefer it to be cooler and when I OC I want the extra bit of air. The 212 Evo comes with its own thermal compound(not pre-applied). It also includes extra mounting brackets if you want to add a second fan.

THe EVGA 500B is enough power. I use the 500W+ 80 white with a 970 FTW from EVGA which needs more power than the 1060. Neither PSU's are that great as far as quality is concerned. A Seasonic 520W S12ii is an option.

Makes little sense to buy components that old now IMO unless you're getting a real bargain

A 4690k for £150 & 16gb ddr3 for £90 just isn't particularly cheap at all.

That PSU ?? Don't think its good enough at all , you'd have to post the full model number to be sure

The ryzen is about on a par with that i5 but puts you on a current socket with proper upgradability

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£103.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£67.20)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£139.26 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Palit - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card (£248.48 @ CCL Computers)
Other: Corsair cx450 (£41.97)
Total: £600.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 20:05 GMT+0000

Board is from aria too

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/ASUS+PRIME+B350M-A+-+AMD+RYZEN+MATX+Motherboard+%28GAME+OFFER%29+?productId=67249

With that you get the Asus promotion which means. Everspace +2 brand new AAA titles free.

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/promo/rog-ryzen-reloaded

marcel8090

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I found MOBO similar, or the same as yours:
MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s
Does this one is gonna work ?
The only problem is, my current motherboard is mATX and this one is ATX.
I think that I've got enough of space in my case, but how is it looking like with installing it into the case ? Can I 'pin on' the ATX in place of mATX normally ?

madmatt30 I think I'm gonna stay with my choice of CPU, I'll get you more information about PSU later on today. Just one question about the video card, what is the difference between the one that you have chosen and the Jetstream one ?

I'm not positive about your case(I don't see the name) so I can't be sure where the stand-offs are located. I couldn't tell you even if I knew but the case is usually ready for mATX and ATX among others depending on the case. All I can say is probably.

Yes the motherboard will work.

While the price is a little high it does come with a two year warranty. How well the company honors that is something idk.

Where I do agree with Matt is with upgradeability. You are spending more on that 4690K than you would on the 1300X or the 1400 depending on your location and their pricing. Where will you go from here when it's time to upgrade? While the 4790 is better it's not going to touch something like the 1700. By the time it comes to upgrade(3 years?) the 16, 17 and 1800 Ryzen CPS will have fallen in price. You have a long way to climb to the top of Ryzen's Totem. There is more value in a Ryzen build than that discounted one.

The Jetstream model has a few differences. For one the Jetstream describes the cooling feature's name. Does a different cooling design mean cooler? Maybe.The Jetstream also has a slightly higher core clock. The Jetstream also has RGB lighting. Is one better than the other? The Jetstream might be but I wouldn't pay more for the Jetstream over the regular Palit. They're both manufacturered by Palit(thanks to Capt. Obvious for that:D)

I can't see your insistence on sticking with a haswell platform.

I could understand if you already owned a board or ddr3 ram (or both) but if youre buying from scratch for me it makes no sense at all.

Not disputing the 4590k's performance , its still very very good but the prices you're paying for second hand stuff are not cheap at all.

The ryzen will perform exactly the same on a 60htz screen , all brand new with warranties & the 3 free games are a massive bonus IMO.

If you really must go haswell the the 4690k is £125 from cex with a 3 year warranty

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI54690K

The i7 4770 is £135

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI74770

So £150 for the 4690k is too much.

If the reason you're dismissing the ryzen is because its amd (which is a mistake) the a new i3 8100 still makes more sense than haswell.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£104.99 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£99.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £204.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-10 06:56 GMT+0000

Much the same price new for CPU & mb & it outperforms the haswell i5's by a decent margin.

marcel8090

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
madmatt30, yeah, you are right,I had some bad experience with AMD. How the difference in fps is gonna be looking like on Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz in games like battlefield 1 ?
And will I be still able to record or stream while playing with maybe lower graphic settings with the decent fps ?
I'm worrying because the benchmark comparison is not looking good.

5% difference maybe between the 1300x & the 4690k at stock speeds.
Overclocked the ryzen will match or maybe beat it on some titles.

Honestly they're pretty closely matched.

Just

1.The ryzen is cheaper
2.It comes with a decent cooler
3,Its overclockable
4.It puts you on a new upgradeable socket.

Just a hands down better choice,then take into account you can get say Destiny 2 & COD ww2 free with it.

Streaming ?? If youre using the nvidia twitch streaming feature built into the card/software there's about a 5fps performance deficit while using it.
Net connection upstream tends to be more of an issue than anything when ingame streaming multiplayer titles in all honesty.

If you must go haswell intel then at least go for the i7 4770 over the i5 4690k,its a better all round cpu.

If you're serious about streaming then you should be looking at the ryzen 1400 or 1500x in all honesty.

Solution