Question Gaming pc

Jul 8, 2019
Hello, is this good value for £1000, I’m looking for a decent second hand rig to play games like ark survival. Plus want a rig that will keep up with new games that come out. Thanks for you help.
Specification

Case = Lian Li lan cool one (not digital vetsion) but has the front rgb lighting

Motherboard = Msi z390 gaming pro carbon ac Atx
Very good motherboard with in built ac wifi

Ram =Corsair vengeance ddr4 16gb 3200mhz

Cpu =Intel core i7 8700k

CPU cooler =noctua nhd15s with dual nfa15 fans

Case fans x2 noctua nfa12x25 1 x rear noctua nfa12x25

Psu=Corsair sf600 gold rated power supply yes I know this is an sfx psu in an Atx case but I changed from an itx build and reused the psu this is a very good reliable psu

Gpu = Nvidia GeForce rtx 2070 8gb Asus strix oc version

Nvme ssd Samsung Evo 960 250gb

Ssd Samsung 850 250gb

Ssd Corsair force Le 200 240gb

Hdd Seagate firecuda 1tb
Windows 10
Thanks

Pricing it up new would look like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£342.75 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£78.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£159.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£71.67 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Corsair - MP510 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£44.63 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£106.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card (£510.07 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£112.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £1507.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 18:49 BST+0100

Although, I couldn't match every part, it would cost about £1500+ for something nearly identical. For £1000 it's a good deal. However, I'd taper that remark with it being 'second hand'. Be cautious. Do you know the seller. What has it been used for. Have parts been OC'ed (Likley given the parts). If it was OC'ed at what settings and for how long. Can you test it before purchase? Is there a returns policy, if refurbished and from a store or is it buy it as you see it from a private seller.

Otherwise, that's a stonking gaming system, and will rock any games you throw at it up to 1440p high settings and game dependent will give you a phenomenal experience.

Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the replies, the rig is advertised on eBay and the seller does say testing is welcome and that it’s like new, from what I’ve read you can’t tell if it’s been overclocked? It looks very clean and well looked after, it’s just why sell something so new? What should I be looking out for when testing the machine?

If you can test it, make sure you do.

When testing, you can do multiple things to get an idea.

Run a game, run monitoring software. Check for temps while you do stuff with it. Take the side panel off the case, and listen to the fans making sure you don't hear anything that sounds a little funny. Make sure all the fans are spinning. Bring a USB key with you with a movie on it or something. You can then copy the movie file to all the SSD's (do this one at a time) and then look for the transfer speeds as you copy the files.

I would set up HWMon/info on it, and use that as the monitoring tool. It will give you lots of info that happens in real time with your hardware.

You could also run Prime95 or Realbench to stress test the system a little to see if it works flawlessly. (Keep in mind, using stress utilities will make the CPU heat up - hence watch the temps as I mentioned above)

Jul 8, 2019
Thanks Keith for your help. I don’t have the confidence or the experience in running test monitoring software on a pc to be able to do what you have listed. So maybe playing a game and checking fans are ok and no strange sounds will be a good start. Do you think it would be too much of an ask to get the seller to use some monitoring software to show me running temps and loading speeds. After speaking with you I feel more research is needed. Im thinking maybe for a novice like me a new build is the best option or buying second from a computer shop.
Thanks for you help. 👍

Thanks Keith for your help. I don’t have the confidence or the experience in running test monitoring software on a pc to be able to do what you have listed. So maybe playing a game and checking fans are ok and no strange sounds will be a good start. Do you think it would be too much of an ask to get the seller to use some monitoring software to show me running temps and loading speeds. After speaking with you I feel more research is needed. Im thinking maybe for a novice like me a new build is the best option or buying second from a computer shop.
Thanks for you help. 👍

No probs. Glad to help. That not a bad thing to do at all. Think about it a little more, and do some more research for what you want.

I'm not suggesting that buying second hand, is necessarily a bad thing, but for me personally, I'd want to be testing it as I've suggested to have at least a reasonable expectation it won't crap out two weeks after I buy it! :tearsofjoy: But, if the seller is okay with you testing it, then I'm sure he'd be okay if you wanted to run CPU-z, Realbench, or Cinebench R15/20 to test it and see how the system reacts.

Buying new for these things, (pre-built/home build) is better IMO. At least you have some warranty cover, and returns policy should something go wrong. Spending £1000 on a PC is no small out of pocket expense. I'd just want to be sure that's all.

If you need any further help, feel free to PM me. If you have a satisfactory answer to your question, select it as best answer to close the thread.

Have a great day :)