Nov 1, 2023
Hey folks, just finished my new gaming rig build (specs and software versions [1]), and I'm experiencing disappointing system instability. I'm a longtime computer engineer and deeply technical, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to Windows 11 (or Windows in general, to be honest, I'm a Linux guy). I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to even begin to diagnose or narrow down where these issues are originating from, and try to pin point the root cause. I'm not even certain it's a hardware issue, but it definitely seems like one based on my experience.

I'm experiencing random system issues; I've seen a handful of BSOD, random applications will lock up (Not Responding). When I launch Space Marine 2, it crashes pretty much immediately, although not reliably in the exact same place, during the title screen displays. I also seem to be unable to run other games with crashes. It's more stable when I'm just navigating around the desktop.

I have 4 DIMMs right now from two different packages of identical RAM sticks. I'm also running the "Gaming" profile, set inside of my BIOS. I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version available from MSI, which contains the microcode patch that repairs the known issue with 14th gen Intel chips overvolting and causing system instability.

Right now I suspect it's a bad RAM stick (at least I'm hoping that is the issue). Are there logs or events somewhere that might provide some clues for some more directed verification testing? I'm planning to take the A1/B1 sticks out right now to see if that makes any difference, will swap the DIMM sticks and try to see if that results in better behavior. Ultimately I'm going to end up running MemTest on each stick.

Thoughts?

[1] https://privatebin.net/?e5e39d61f68c6845#FmaD1ajSwfLsRdzTNB7bnnpHr3TrX1ASisqxswAdvZAi

Lutfij

Titan
Note: I believe this to be the Microcode update that addresses the 14th gen overvoltage issue
Correct.

RAM: 4x CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6600 (PC5 52800) Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX5M2X6600C32
Can you look at both ram kits and see if you can identify the PCB revision numbers on them?

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version available from MSI
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed to the latest version? To do so, you should disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins. You could conversely press and hold down the Clear CMOS button on the rear, for 30secs, after disconnecting from the wall and display.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to Windows 11
Did you install the OS in offline mode, later installing all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Nov 1, 2023
Thank you for the quick reply @Lutfij !

Can you look at both ram kits and see if you can identify the PCB revision numbers on them?

I'll fetch this for you now.

Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed to the latest version?

I did not, I didn't know that was required or a best practice. I will do that now!

Did you install the OS in offline mode, later installing all drivers relevant to your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I created the Win11 install USB using Rufus (?), which provided me a few options for the installer. I believe that I installed in online mode, and the machine rebooted several times as it seemed to go through rounds of updates.

Once I was able to log into the Desktop, automatically an MSI launcher was shown that provided me a bunch of options for installation; I don't recall if this installed the drivers or not. To be sure, I went to the MSI support page for the MOBO and downloaded all drivers. I installed/repaired/reinstalled all of them. A couple errored out that I did not expect. Here is the list of completed installs and those that errored (primarily RST & Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt error code from the log would seem to indicate that it's conflicting with an existing driver that has been installed. It's possible that I have newer drivers installed than those hosted on the MSI support page.

Note: I did attempt to launch SM2 after doing this, and I'm still seeing the same crash dumps.

https://dpaste.com//6AQGLSLMT