Gartner Says PC Will "Cease to be Important Game Platform"

Status
Not open for further replies.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
i think this stems from a company that knows nothing about gaming
yes there are many many more console gamers compared to pc gamers because consoles are easier (buy console plug console in put game into console and play (more modern consoles you have to install to HDD) and they are cheaper in the short term (in the long run pc gaming is much cheaper than console gaming thanks to pc games just being cheaper things like the humble bundle and of course praise be to gaben - steam sales)

OldSchool84

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Lets just forget about the fact that PC's ALWAYS have the best hardware available to them. Lets forget that PC's are the most upgradable. Lets also forget that PC's run a million other programs perfectly and yet still be the best gaming platform. PC sales may rise or drop but you CAN'T take away their massive strengths compared to consoles just because you "predict" that sales will drop. New consoles come out and take the lime light off the PC but it never makes the PC irrelevant. People like Gartner say things like this to get publicity and now he has it. I would just leave it alone so that more people do not hear his name. Lets make him irrelevant.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah right. Saying this at the point when the PC gaming industry is going through a Renaissance is sort of stupid.

I'm actually disappointed that Tom's Hardware would decide to carry this news.

HallusH

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Researcher = "so i have this opinion which i totally didn't get paid to make and no way a promotion for this X product"
"which i can't even back by any solid facts and for some reason someone pays me to do this. F YEAH!"

Unless time traveling is a thing these numbers are pulled out of his A.
It's if someone would look at number of employees that " Gartner " has and will say that based of the amount of BS they "research" by 2015 it will be closed.

Or the fact they based it of "handheld video games" and "mobile games" going up.
that for some reason will stop the request for big triple A titles or other games.
99.9% of these mobile games are total horse sh*t.

There not even an hint of solid predictions, which at least would give a sense of this isn't a waste of time.

So even if by 2015 there's a 24inc table that gives me 120hz with G-sync at 4k-8k resolution.
that i would be able to place on my desk and connect my mouse, keyboard and headset to.
and play at 120fps in every game. And to which i can connect a rift or play with 3D etc.
But all that would still be a PC in it's smaller form and not change how people use it and what they do with it.

The best part was "US$1,295.00" to buy this full "research" document.

zahan

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Gartner is full of crap, lol probly got there data from same people that said tablets were gonna kill off laptops. Silly lil people!!!!!

GoliathPtXs

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
i supose they think that PC enthusiasts buy extremely expensive hardware, mix match color in builds, spend thousands in awesome builds and more just for the lols...

for tech researchers, they don't know much about who use the tech...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I remember a few years ago that Gartner said there would be a huge increase in marketshare for the Windows OS and that it would put everything else to shame.

Vista came out a week later.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
hes right you knowe, my steam library is almost gone, only 190 games and my new 290x radeon is so out dated i belibe ill go for xbox one, so they can charge me 2x the money for the same game, and so i cant use 50% of the features of the console in sweden.

mvalles19

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Apparently Gartner has been living under a rock for some time now. Major League Gaming is just a small depiction of the PC gaming industries strength.

https://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc/

It is sad that people get paid good money to do research and come up with irrelevant nonsense like this....

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Of course they would say this with new xbox and playstation about to be released!
But truth is pc gaming will get bigger as consoles become more like pc's each gen, Just look at the new ones now more pc than console even the chips inside are no longer dedicated console parts but pc parts.
Until they come up with mouse/keyboard replacement pc gaming won't go away, It is far superior than a controller stick, Dare they want to challenge that in a match to find out mwahahaha. No aim control needed or rapid fire on pc's These anal-ysts need to find another job.
Are they the same ones that say pc's are dead as tablets take over? Try getting anything done on a tablet compared to a desktop pc workwise.

LordHaHa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
In other news, a research firm repeats a tired mantra that's been going around for the last 10-15 years in a desperate attempt at creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS