GeForce 2 MX + DVD TV Out?

G

I'm interested in buying a GeForce 2 MX w/ TV out capabilities. I want to play DVDs on a TV screen and I figured since I already have a DVD drive on my computer, I could just spare me the cost of getting a separate DVD player and upgrade my computer while I'm at it. However, after reading a few of the articles available about GF2MX cards, I'm curious as personal experiences with the quality of the TV out. Furthermore, I've read disturbing posts that say that when you try to play DVDs and put it on the TV, it only shows a black overlay with no movie. Is this true?

One other question, what type of TV-out connector should I be looking for? I have an S-Video input on my TV, so I figured I should get a S-Video output, but is there any other type of input/output jack that I should be aware of that might offer better/lesser quality.

BTW, I'm also going to be running under Windows 2000. Would that have any effect on the features of the card? Thanks.

If you have any other recommendations or a specific brand of the GeForce 2 MX that I should look into, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for any help you can provide.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Asus has a Geforce2 GTS video card, V7700 Deluxe, with built in S-Video in/out.
I have an Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS card and then bought the Video in/out module. I had to complain to Elsa to get the software DVD decoder (ElsaMovie) for the card and upgrade to DirectX 8.0 to get it to work, but it looks great!
I am using two 12 foot S-Video cables with connectors and a 24 foot audio cable running from my computer to my TV in the other room. I can tell you the image and sound quality is better than anything I get from my VCR.
Recently I bought a dedicated DVD player, I don't think the image quality is superbly better (limited by my 5 year old TV) but it is easier to use than the PC with a radio remote mouse.

James

TRENDING THREADS