GeForce 2 Ultra vrs the Voodoo 5

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am very interested in a comparison between the GeForce 2 Ultra and the Voodoo 5. Not just in speed but specifically in: image quality, stability of driver/hardware (I don't mean overclocked stability), and features.

Anyone have some good hard facts about the two? Anyone have both, and actually KNOW a lot about both? Unbiased (as possible) please.

If you read this Tom Pabst, I was wondering when your next high-end graphics card review/ comparison might be. :)

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not to slam you but this topic was discussed about 15times
before with the gforce2gts and the voodoo 5
only diff in ultra is its faster, memory and processor

you might want to look back in the pages before making up a topic that has been freq discussed.

Bored,Certified Tech

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Tom doesn't review 3Dfx stuff anymore.

The Voodoo5 has better image quality, but the GF2 Ultra absolutely SMOKES the Voodoo5 speed wise. It's about 3 times faster in higher resolution stuff.

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's just a question.

Sorry if it is annoying, but I have heard about a gaaazzzion peoples opinions on these two cards and they really aren't what I'm after. Only occasionally will you hear from someone who can give an accurate picture. Thanks for your suggestion.

To grizely1:

Thanks! that was a short answer but sounds accurate from what I can gather. (P.S. Battlezone rocks, I agree).

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Where did Tom say he didn't review 3dfx anymore?
I must have missed that.

I have heard techs that work for 3dfx say that the Voodoo 4/5 etc. will scale their power with proccessor speed (by using your cpu) thus increasing their usable life span (sounds lame).

I have also heard the other side say that that is why Voodoo 5 is inferior (I like the cpu NOT having the processing load, myself). 3dfx may have a point as far as DX8 adds support for T&L thus making the Voodoo more versatile for the future.

I think that when the "future" comes the GeForce will still be ahead (with updates to hardware T&L as it matures), and 3dfx is using lame excuses. The Voodoo does have the compatability for now though, as far as I've seen. But I think that they will fade away and the Geforce will gain the compatability advantage.

That's my OPINION, but I would like to hear from people who know more than me. ;^)

Thanks!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well he doesnt' review 3Dfx anymore because he and 3Dfx had a little quarrel about something a couple months ago (like in May or something), and now 3Dfx refuses to send him free boards to test out. They told him he has to go out and buy their products like everyone else, and he didn't like that, so he's not reviewing their stuff. Hehe.

And I'm glad to see a Battlezone fan! :)

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL!
It's a good thing 3dfx didn't get a shotgun last Christmas because then they would have had more firepower to shoot themselves in the foot! I think snubbing Tom may be just a <i>little</i> bad for their business- not that they are struggling, or anything like that... :wink:

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile:

TRENDING THREADS