GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGA_Gunnman

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
One good thing will come of this. Due to competition AMD will drop the price bomb on nVidia like usual and we how waited will get a discount on our new ATI cards. Thanks nVidia! :p

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
While ATI engineers celebrate a victory, Kitchenaid calls in an emergency meeting. "We must create a more powerful toaster to beat Fermi." One of the engineers: "The only way to beat Fermi is to go Nuclear!"

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
The only thing that I like about the GTX 480 is that it can max out crysis when put in SLI. I haven't seen ANY other GPUs (be it in single, SLI, or crossfire) get over 30 fps in crysis on a 30" monitor with AA turned on.

G

It appears that nvidia needs to hire priests to extort hell out of their new video cards...maybe the temp will become lower after that.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
As regards Noise I have checked a few reviews and the range from 7-9db louder than a 5870, Noise runs on a logarithmic scale so 3db is noticeably louder and 10db is twice as loud. the reviews also state the Fermi cards ramp up to full speed earlier and quicker and so the appearance of being a noisy card is enhanced.

G

Used Nvidia since the FX series. Very disappointed. After this GTX 260 goes, its hello ATI .

jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Too Expensive. Too much power. Gaming real purpose than Crysis full settings? I'll go with a 5870 anyday or else ill just keep my GTX 275

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Boy, i'm sure glad I held off on buying a gtx295 for the past 1-2 years because these cards were going to be SO awesome, they'd blow it away. And I'm SO happy that I HAVE to buy an nvidia GPU to continue using my $1400 3Dvision setup. Nvidia is so awesome. So is sarcasm.

TGA_Gunnman

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shaun_shaun[/nom]Nevertheless Nvidia took the fastest single GPU crown by beating ATi5870..anyway nvidia will come with dual GPU like 5970 soon..then we can discuss the fastest graphics card winner !!![/citation]

Yeah, and also add a new 1200W psu to the bill to get it and your system running. Heck most people will have to upgrade their psu just for one of these things. I was waiting for the GTX 480 before upgrading, this is a big disappointment. Can you imagine the electric bill cost of running a dual GPU GF100.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]swiftsword69[/nom]the ati cards have been on the market for over 6 months now. The GPU segment gets an update of the lineup/architecture every 6-9 months. ATI/AMD has been keeping suspiciously quiet and I can only guess that they are sadistically watching on the side while Nvidia fail epically with the realease of the fermi. I reckon any time soon they are going to release some hardcore that will wipeout Fermi accross the board. The current generation from AMD is already doing well enough for Fermi to be chocking on.However, on Nvidia ground, fermi is a drastic shift to a new architecture. Perhaps they will improve this brand new architecture in their next generation of GPUs. Also Nvidia just dont really seem to be that innovative these days. They copy the idea of triple display from AMD which also had gotten the idea from the old Matrox cards.I know Nvidia is pushing hard on CUDA and GPGPU, however, AMD is the only company with the license and practical experience of making both CPU and GPU. In the future I think the key would be fusion for AMD and if Nvidia wants to survive, they should beg intel to buy them out.[/citation]

they should stop suing Intel first :D....

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]The only thing that I like about the GTX 480 is that it can max out crysis when put in SLI. I haven't seen ANY other GPUs (be it in single, SLI, or crossfire) get over 30 fps in crysis on a 30" monitor with AA turned on.[/citation]

have you tried 5970 Xfire :D

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]shaun_shaun[/nom]Nevertheless Nvidia took the fastest single GPU crown by beating ATi5870..anyway nvidia will come with dual GPU like 5970 soon..then we can discuss the fastest graphics card winner !!![/citation]

a dual GPU fermi.... :pt1cable: .good luck with that

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]kinger1331[/nom]and now watch the 5000 refresh come and eat up these cards even more! +1 ATI[/citation]

Looks like I'm waiting for Fermi2 (or The Revenge of Fermi [or The Refreshening]) or Northern Islands. I was honestly hoping for something that would make me want to switch away from my 5870 CF.

Oh well.

tykus

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I think Nvidia may have been slightly off guard and underestimated what ATI could produce. Maybe that's just my wishful thinking. Not that I'm not so proud of ATI, but as the article said, Nvidia usually has their act pretty well together. Just doesn't seem like them.

boostercorp

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
looks like i'll be keeping my 2 gtx 285's for a while longer ;)
don't understand why they didn't put more memory on the gtx 480 though
ive got 2gb on my 285's
if there 'll be a gtx 485 with watercooling i'll be getting one but the way it's looking now ...

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
My GTX275 stays until next round
since it still provide good frames for 1920x1080 with 4xaa with recent games

Disappointed with the GTX4xx cards, my room is already hot enough, not anymore

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
How Sad.... all my previous GPU's were Nvidia starting with the Fx's looks like Iv'e been holding my breath for nothing, oh well... I'm gonna be seeing red on my next build. maybe AMD will be rolling out the HD6000's before Nvidia get their low range 400's out.... if they plan on making them, or can make them after this blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.