GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
again, no 5970 quadfire in the lineup. WHY NOT? You'll test Nvidia's best card in SLI,, why not AMD's??????

Metro2033 is a joke. Game makers who do this, (aligning with one card maker), are going to find their ass handed to them in lack of sales.

This whole AMD vs NVIDIA has become just like Democrats vs Republicans.

The consumer does not want this!!!!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]TheRockMonsi[/nom]The price right now for this card is way over $500 on newegg. For that price NVIDIA better be giving me a bj as well.[/citation]

NewEgg has been in the scalping arena for a little while now, so I'm not surprised. Of course, once the action dies down they get in line and throw in some good prices.

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]First: Tom's Hardware, you must add 6870 crossfire to the SLI page! This is not a fair comparison; the HD 6800 series are better at Crossfire than the HD 5800 series. And the HD 6800 series IS available.Anyway, this is more or less comparable to what ATI did with the HD 4890 compared to the HD 4870; they took the same chip and optimized it in order for it to be more power efficient and allow for higher clocks. The difference here being that Nvidia had such a complicated initial design on their hands, they actually weren't even able to enable the 512 cores at first (The ATI card always had the full 800 cores enabled).In my opinion this should have been called the GTX 490. But they obviously must try to conceal the fact that this card is a year late, so an artificial generation bump is in order.Anyway, this is objectively a better card all things considered than the GTX 480. I forsee many Nvidia fans going to buy this card. What's important here is that Nvidia is one step away from cleaning up the house (the new GTX 475 based on the full GTX 460 chip is still missing). This is good for the competition.But now it's time for Nvidia to move on, and start working on a new design from scratch.But there is one thing I must say to finalise: I absolutely hate this strategy "The way it's meant to be played games". How do developers embark on this unethical scheme ? Don't they see they are just pissing off their AMD customers with artificially reduced performance ? Do they think I'm going to buy a Nvidia card to play their games ? NO! I'm not buying them in the first place! (Unless they're at a heavy discount on Steam, just like Metro 2033 a few days ago).This is not winning on merit, it's winning by sabotage, by screwing up the competitor. Oh well, it's Nvidia. I'm not surprised.[/citation]

TRUE ! There are Other sites that DO have the 6870/6850 crossfire UP.
Not sure why Toms is resisting putting it up , it has been weeks now.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6870_CrossFire/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/1/

many others.

erafael

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Just got my GTX480 in Japan for 340$ and the shop guy told me that I could get this discount only because of the fact that GTX580 just came up:)
I guess it wasn't a bad deal, assuming that I could also sell my old card to a friend for 70$. So I got a brand new GTX480 for "just" 270$ thanks to GTX580 release and a friend desperately looking for an older GPU. Despite all the critical voices about GTX480, my first impression is very positive.Should I have waited another two or three months to get GTX580? I

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Unfortunately, AMD never sent CrossFire'd 6870s to our main lab, making that comparison impossible. There's a 100% chance that we'll be doing a CrossFire/SLI follow-up in the very near future, though.As far as the game selection, we're representing the latest slew of DirectX 11 titles. AMD came on strong with DiRT 2, BF: BC 2, and AvP back when NV had nothing to show for DX11 hardware. But soon after, NV's dev rel machine kicked into gear, and titles like Metro and LP2 started popping up. Are they not viable games because NV touched them first? No. Is it unfortunate for owners of 5000- and 6000-series cards that they aren't getting as good of an experience? Absolutely. That doesn't make the suite any less representative of today's landscape. Not at all.With that said, you guys know I'm always taking suggestions and rolling your desires into upcoming stories. If there are games you'd like to see added, within reason, we'll get them included! Appreciate the feedback, as always!!Chris[/citation]

Chris, I appreciate your explanation, I even rated it up, but then I remembered - you guys actually had two HD 6870 cards a few days ago in the labs.

Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,2776-20.html

Why on earth didn't you request to keep them for further reviews a few days later ?

username2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
6870 CF vs 580 GTS?
Its ridicules how much cheaper you can get the power of a single 580. As long as you do not plan to use two 580 at least.

Hey, if you want to use a low power setup, how about two 6850? ;-)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Chris, I appreciate your explanation, I even rated it up, but then I remembered - you guys actually had two HD 6870 cards a few days ago in the labs.Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 76-20.htmlWhy on earth didn't you request to keep them for further reviews a few days later ?[/citation]

Ah, but as Chris said: "AMD never sent CrossFire'd 6870s to our main lab"

The 6800 review wasn't done in the main lab. I've still got them, but I've been working on other priorities.

In any case, it'll get done. :)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Chris, I appreciate your explanation, I even rated it up, but then I remembered - you guys actually had two HD 6870 cards a few days ago in the labs.Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 76-20.htmlWhy on earth didn't you request to keep them for further reviews a few days later ?[/citation]

tpi: Don actually did that review for us up in Canada. A little backstory: my wife gave birth to our first little one about five weeks ago. In my absence, Don attended the AMD launch event in Los Angeles, took two boards home, and got some others from HIS to make the CrossFire comparison possible. AMD stopped by in Bakersfield before taking back off to Markham, but only left a single 6870 and a single 6850. They're now shipping duplicate boards to enable CrossFire of both, but as I get back into full swing, I wasn't able to do CrossFire'd 6800s in this one. The 5870 1GBs and 2GBs were still good info to me, though.

Shoot, for anyone trying to match the performance of a single 580 with multiple cards, remember that a pair of 460s is faster than the 480. You can get two 1 GB cards for like $380. A pair of 6850s could do the same thing. There are a ton of dual-card configurations you could come up with to best a 580, really...

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]tpi: Don actually did that review for us up in Canada. A little backstory: my wife gave birth to our first little one about five weeks ago.[/citation]

Wow, congrats Chris, that's huge. Come up with a cool name? :)

Additionally, I'm curious (already posted about this, but really want to know) why overclocking wasn't done on the GTX 580? I'd really like to see how much higher it can clock with this very capable, and quiet, new cooler. How come that wasn't included in this review... could you please run some tests on it for those of us hungering for more power?

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
GeForce GTX 580 SLI review

Price VS Performance.... I would like to see that, from what I'm seeing at Guru 3d the Best BANG for the Performance/Price right now is the HD 6870 crossfire. 2X6870's are Less Money, Consume less power and run cooler then any of the top tier cards , While maintaining a close gap to the SLI 580 and SlI 480

Battlefield Bad Company 2 DX11 FPS

GTX 580 = 108
GTX 480 = 98
HD6870 = 89
Keep in mind the $$$
2x Hd6870's $480
2x GTX480's $860
2x GTX580's $1120
the 6870's 3rd over all performance wise not bad for $480

Im curious to see how 3 6870's $720 would do for a price that is still considerably cheaper.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/6

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
As someone who just slid up in a 470 for an absurdly low price, the 580 isn't for me. At least, not at the moment. But I do feel like with the new 6800 series from AMD, you get something purpose built, not crippled, for it's segment. And there is something to be said for that. Just hacking up a card and slapping a somewhat lower price tag does not a great card make. Its good to see that the 580 is the new apex. We'll just have to see what they do to fill the segments between the 580 and the 460.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Lucciano :)

I hesitate to overclock cards that come straight from AMD or NV. In 9 cases out of 10, we're getting a hand-selected card, and that has always made me nervous. Thomas has already sent out the invitations to do a retail board roundup, and we can request that he include overclocking in that one.

If you'd really like to know what these cards are capable of, shoot me an email at cangelini at bestofmedia.com and I'll free up some time tonight to push the boards I have using stock voltages. :)

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]Kinda pointless article other then the fact that the 580 offers superb performance but until I see power and noise set in stone I honestly don't care.A single GPU nearly outperforming a 5970 is quite a statement. Wonder if AMD has what it takes to answer this as the 6850 IMPO is pretty disappointing other then the price.[/citation]

Tom's lacking the know how i guess. Check this Finnish site article. They have used the older version of Furmark to bypass nvidia's "Advanced Power Management" feature. Also, they are not using "custom" Metro 2033 settings and instead using in-game "high" settings to avoid further bias.

http://tinyurl.com/3xl79wd

mapesdhs

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ph0b0s123[/nom]Article is no help to me deciding whether to upgrade my 285 SLI setup or not, will look elsewhere....[/citation]

If it's of any help, I'm currently running tests comparing 8800GT SLI,
4890 CF and GTX 460 SLI, using old & new benchmarks at low & high res/detail,
so from this you should be able to etrapolate to 285 vs. 580 performance.
PM me for the links or email me and I'll send you the refs once they're
ready

Ian.

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Lucciano I hesitate to overclock cards that come straight from AMD or NV. In 9 cases out of 10, we're getting a hand-selected card, and that has always made me nervous. Thomas has already sent out the invitations to do a retail board roundup, and we can request that he include overclocking in that one.If you'd really like to know what these cards are capable of, shoot me an email at cangelini at bestofmedia.com and I'll free up some time tonight to push the boards I have using stock voltages.[/citation]
-email sent-
Thanks for the info, good to know. Overclocking hand-picked cards isn't an accurate representation, you're right; I'm just curious, I guess. I'll subtract a few MHz mentally from what is achievable from this sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.