GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
g-thor:

The embargo is in reference to specifications and performance of Radeon HD 6900-series cards. AMD holds its partners to an embargo. This includes the press. So, we have a date for this product (and usually any other upcoming piece of hardware) when numbers and details can be discussed.

What I'm hearing from the guys who build with AMD cards and sell AMD cards is that they won't even be *briefed* on Cayman until *after* AMD's original non-disclosure date passes. If that's the case, there's a strong case for delays, though there's no way to tell how long the cards will get pushed back.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@g-thor : I'm pretty sure he meant a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). it would make more sense.[/citation]

Non-disclosure and embargo are used fairly interchangeably. In both cases, we're talking about a contract binding you to not disclosure or reveal certain privileged details, basically :)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Hi all!

Just updated page three with multi-monitor power/temperature measurements, in case you were wondering what the effect of using both display outputs might be!

Thanks for those who suggested this,
Chris

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
The ATI6xxx and this new GTX580 are all great cards.
I am not to sure why people get all crazy over the amount of power nvidia cards use, they are and always will be that way. + why does it mater? its not like any highend PSU(or highend computer) cant run 2 or more cards.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]Kinda pointless article other then the fact that the 580 offers superb performance but until I see power and noise set in stone I honestly don't care.A single GPU nearly outperforming a 5970 is quite a statement. Wonder if AMD has what it takes to answer this as the 6850 IMPO is pretty disappointing other then the price.[/citation]

i guess soem folksa re total nvidia fanyboys , giving you thumbs down , seriously yuou make a valiud point , seems nvida didnt like future mark's power, heat and noise figures of teh 480 so this tiem aroudn they threw soemthgin in the works that make it impossible to get aread with that program. it';s this sort of underhandiness about nivida that makes me usually run to ATI/AMD. granted not long ago i was on a gf 9800gt , so i'm no fan boy. but still fudgeing your card to not post on a commonly used benchmarking tool is just terrible PR policy if you ask me.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nate007[/nom]Me either, I'm sure Cris will explain.GO NVIDIA !! GO AMD !! ......GO Lower Prices so I can get a 2nd CARD!!Seriouly though ,this is GREAT !!! I can see the price shifting as Cayman come's out and resets the playing field !!The GOLDEN Eggs (IMHOP) are the 6850/6870 & 460/470...these are the cards to get and HOPEFULLY they will continue to go DOWN in price !![/citation]

again another person who seemingly got thumbs down for no good damn reason . can you nvidia fanboys please piss off . what here in his post deserves a thumbs down ??? what he says is true , , who cares what teh most expensive card from tehse companies cost , the main stream cards like teh 6800's and teh gf 450-460's are the ones that the industry should look at they are the biggest sellers , not the beastly only gods can afford cards.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i guess soem folksa re total nvidia fanyboys , giving you thumbs down , seriously yuou make a valiud point , seems nvida didnt like future mark's power, heat and noise figures of teh 480 so this tiem aroudn they threw soemthgin in the works that make it impossible to get aread with that program. it';s this sort of underhandiness about nivida that makes me usually run to ATI/AMD. granted not long ago i was on a gf 9800gt , so i'm no fan boy. but still fudgeing your card to not post on a commonly used benchmarking tool is just terrible PR policy if you ask me.[/citation]

The hilarious part is that AMD did the same thing first.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i guess soem folksa re total nvidia fanyboys , giving you thumbs down , seriously yuou make a valiud point , seems nvida didnt like future mark's power, heat and noise figures of teh 480 so this tiem aroudn they threw soemthgin in the works that make it impossible to get aread with that program. it';s this sort of underhandiness about nivida that makes me usually run to ATI/AMD. granted not long ago i was on a gf 9800gt , so i'm no fan boy. but still fudgeing your card to not post on a commonly used benchmarking tool is just terrible PR policy if you ask me.[/citation]
I'm sorry, but this post is extremely ignorant.

Xvim

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
One thing about Cayman that might be deceiving. Its NOT that 6800 series replace 5700 and 6900 replace 6800. Its more that 6700 will succeed 5700, and 5800 "split" in a bit lower 6800 and a bit higher 6900. I predict following:

a) Cayman will be priced a lot higher then 58xx series - probably around 500$ mark not 400.

b) Cayman is NOT "double barts" the way 5870 was a "double 5770". Dont expect it to be 100% faster. It has 40% more shaders, and even more importantly the 6xxx series seem to be bottlenecked a bit by memory (as overclocking tests show). So given exactly same bus width in cayman, unless it really sports rumored 6Ghz memory (i seriously doubt it, although 5+Ghz is a strong possibility), i wouldnt even count on 40% increase in performance. Hopefully im wrong and lets make it 50% - that will most likely put Cayman at about same performance level as gtx580.

So in the end, i expect pretty similiar performance from both companies for about same price.

Atm i would go with nvidia cause of CUDA/PhysX (i plan on buying 2x580 or 2x6970 or 6990 so ill have enough ports for 3 displays anyway), but of course ill wait a bit.

Why just "a bit" ? Because the whole delay im afraid my turn into few months , if AMD decides to respond to gtx580 and "buff" 6970 to sport 384 or so bit memory bus and maybe more shaders, to actually steal performance crown.

Xvim

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
To say a bit more. I draw those conclusions from AMD talks about "sweet spot". Basically as i understand it, they said 5xxx series "missed the target a bit". 58xx series were a bit too powerful and expensive, and 5700 were too weak for the "sweet spot". In the end 5830 card was the "real deal" for AMD - except that it was badly designed in some aspects, and became the "black sheep" of generally very successful 5xxx serie. Sometimes you do everything right, except the one thing you want done properly the most :)

actionjksn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]yzfr1guy[/nom]Power usage is in-effing-sane for higher end gpu's. What happened to the Go Green effort with pcs?[/citation]

Maybe you just need some male hormone treatments.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Is it just my interpretation of the benchies and specs, or is Nvidia playing tricks on us by rebranding the GTX 490 to GTX 580?[/citation]

And was not naming the naming scheme of the Radeon 6000 a bit of a trick?
"Oh, I got my new 6870, should blow away my 5870....no, no wait it doesn't at all."

I agree the 580 SHOULD HAVE been named the 485, as this really isn't a new generation card, but both sides made errors in naming recently.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]I'm getting a little tired of having "new" cards become obsolete within six months.[/citation]

6 month old cards are not obsolete, they are just not the top of the top. Is your "dirty mind" that makes them obsolete. I have a 5 year old rig that is not yet obsolete since it is still able to fulfill all his duties.

lueszu

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
i do believe that nvidia comparing his only 7months old card, and calling it loud and hot is an insult to the ones who bought it... is like saying "thats for buying our crap, now we made the real deal"... bad nvidia... bad...

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]lueszu[/nom]i do believe that nvidia comparing his only 7months old card, and calling it loud and hot is an insult to the ones who bought it... is like saying "thats for buying our crap, now we made the real deal"... bad nvidia... bad...[/citation]

Where did they say that ?

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]longshotthe1st[/nom]Yawn, I think I'll just get a 2nd 5850. No offense Nvidia, but AMD beat ya to it so they got my business this year.[/citatio[citation][nom]longshotthe1st[/nom]Yawn, I think I'll just get a 2nd 5850. No offense Nvidia, but AMD beat ya to it so they got my business this year.[/citation]

No Idea on what you paid for your 5850 but Newegg.com has them for cheap !!
From $199 to $309 for the Sapphire Toxic OC.
GOD I love competition !!!
:)

cleeve

Illustrious

I think that's a bit of a stretch when you consider the relatively tiny deployment of CrossFire. On a single-card basis, the 5870 is much better than the 6850. Hell, even the 5850 performs closely.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]I think nvidia should have just put 2 x gtx460's on one board. Who cares if they have a faster single gpu, it still uses more power than 2 ATI gpu's.[/citation]

Believe me--we've been trying to talk card vendors into making this happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS