GeForce GTX 580 And GF110: The Way Nvidia Meant It To Be Played

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I loved the article. Including Adobe Premiere cs5 MPE was great and welcome addition.

I would like to see gtx 4xx and 2xx included in the test of MPE.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
What is up with the gpu cloth / gpu particle poor 5970 performance ?
Another AMD driver issue as usual ?

Still a mixed bag even though AMD5970 looks like it has more real power provided you can get a working AMD driver for it + some tuning needed the NV580 looks very good performance wise.

Might be a good bet to wait for both rev a2 of both AMD5970 and NV580 or get a decent aftermarket cooler.

Imagine 4x 580's or 4x5970's in one box = 2kw PSU needed min. ?
Power consumption + heat is extreme and we thought ATI5870 had issues this pushes the limits of issues to a new level.

Will there be a "NV580 X2" or only a "AMD5970 X2 (AMD5990)" ?

PS> is it just my crappy win7 "no Adobe flash" or is there some data missing from some of the NV580's bar graphs ?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Anyone else think, to save confusion in the naming scheme and having to have nvidia re-release other parts as 5 series, they should of just called this the GTX485?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]scryer_360[/nom]Anyone else think, to save confusion in the naming scheme and having to have nvidia re-release other parts as 5 series, they should of just called this the GTX485?[/citation]Everyone thinks that EXCEPT for Nvidia.

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
hell yeah new 5xx series from nvidia is coming soon but i hope soon if they gonna release the new GTS 550 they should make it 256bit. same to the old GTS 250 unlike to GTS 450 i dont know why they make it 126bit and the performance is not so well compare to gts 250 .... GTS 250 is the best budget gaming card i hope for the next generation of GTS 550 it has more power compare to GTS 250.....

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Curious why this article compared the HD5870 to the 580 in CF/SLI and didn't include the 6870 and 6850 which scale much better? I'm confused, since you already found results from that in your other review: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,review-32028.html.

Was it simply to bolster this statement?
We’ve established on more than one occasion that Nvidia’s scaling in SLI, employing two graphics cards, is superb. That remains the case with its GeForce GTX 580, and we ran each of the games in our benchmark suite just to demonstrate the firepower available through two of these cards.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]AMD stopped by in Bakersfield before taking back off to Markham, but only left a single 6870 and a single 6850. [/citation]

When the CF stuff's being done, could you please try a crossfire setup with these two different ones, and see if they match 6850's or what actually happends? And what happends if you add a lowcost adapter extra for extra outputs like I have at home?

I'm not sure furmark's reliable, but it would seem that if my system has my 5450 active while I'm running furmark, it reports my gpu's being clocked at 650mhz or whatever the slow card runs at - with it disabled it runs 750 or 790mhz or so. Maybe it just reports wrong, but I noticed that disabling the 5450 resulted in a 1-2fps increase in furmark. Also enabling crossfire x didn't seem to improve fps in furmark.

See my profile conf for specs if you're interested.

But bottom line - try a less crossfire setup with unequal cards and tell us what actually happends.

ps. nice article (except for the falcon ad page)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's official, the HD6970 and HD6950 will be delayed by about three weeks. The NDA on the cards will lift on December 13th.

http://guru3d.com/news/amd-radeon-6900-series-officially-delayed/

But the delay might not be caused by low yields like many have speculated. Instead, insiders have pointed to supply issues with an integrated driver-MOSFET produced by Texas Instruments as the primary cause of the delay. The DrMOS is apparently brand new, and was first used on the HD6800 series. So any supply issues with this component would be shared by the HD6870 and HD6850 as well. Check out the link below for more information.

http://guru3d.com/news/amd-radeon-hd-6970-delay-due-to-component-shortage/

I can't help but wonder if the performance figures of the GTX580 also had something to do with the delay. It's strange that AMD has withheld the final BIOS from its partners so close to the intended launch. While it's looking like this isn't the main cause for the delay, AMD is almost definitely using this additional time to tweak their performance figures in light of the GTX580 release.

G

I think the only reason ATI is taking so long with Cayman is because power consumptions might be to high...

nate007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Where is the 6870/6850 crossfire reviews ?
I'm thinking Toms (Cris)? is not interested in this as this would have been up now. Oh well No point doing the article now anymore as there is more then enough coverage on this on other sites. It's a shame ,Toms used to be the 1st place to come get the Low down, not so anymore.
Guru3D has the BEST review so far as to where things stand on the GRAPHICS land using SLI and Crossfire.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/1

Just picked up my 2ND 6870 today and I;m very happy in knowing I have a Video Card setup that lays the BEAT DOWN on all the other cards including the 5970 & GTX580 for allot less money , of which is going towards a new Samsung Galaxy Captive S :)

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]nate007[/nom]http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] i-review/1Just picked up my 2ND 6870 today and I;m very happy in knowing I have a Video Card setup that lays the BEAT DOWN on all the other cards including the 5970 & GTX580 for allot less money , of which is going towards a new Samsung Galaxy Captive S[/citation]
I'm surprised to see the 6870CF beat some dual card configurations that are supposedly more powerful (gtx 470sli, 5870CF).

shobits1

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Also I think nVidia just screwing up, better than 580 it is just an 480 with +1 activated streaming processor so 485 sound right, also I can't wait and see the 570 -may be they'll never manufacture it or just do 470 with 32nm process-

shobits1

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
There arent any useful ones, as far as i know. HD video editing in real time is more then just a useless number cruncher.

nope, opencl -just like cuda- is open computing language intended for parallel programming using moderns cpus and gpus which it'll display the computing performance of the graphics card not actually the gaming performance

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]shobits1[/nom]nope, opencl -just like cuda- is open computing language intended for parallel programming using moderns cpus and gpus which it'll display the computing performance of the graphics card not actually the gaming performance[/citation]

You didn't get it I think? He didn't say it opencl was meant for gaming, he said there aren't any useful benchmarks to assess their performance.

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Well I'm pretty happy with my GTX 470 anyway! Best card I've ever owned (most expensive, too.) I and I don't think I'll upgrade for some time. For me, it's not bad because I live in a cool place and have a lot of airflow in my case (Coolermaster HAF) so my card idles at 40c.

jv_acabal

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I also witnessed the GPU throttling to max when attaching a monitor with different resolution to the Quadro FX880M of my laptop. I'm running on latest drivers. I'm wondering what's causing this and when will they issue a fix..

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jv_acabal[/nom]I also witnessed the GPU throttling to max when attaching a monitor with different resolution to the Quadro FX880M of my laptop. I'm running on latest drivers. I'm wondering what's causing this and when will they issue a fix..[/citation]

Can't fix your issue, but at least I can tell you that amd has problems too! I don't know which part of my system combo causes it, but if I use a monitor attached to the vga output of my 5450 card, windows will keep resetting the monitor positions at boot and every time you run a fullscreen directx application - effectively disabling the vga output as an option.

G

I'm so excited for Nvidia. The radeon hd 5970 is basically two cards put into one and the gtx 580 was pretty damn close in all of the tests. If Nvidia made a two-in-one video card it would completely dominate the 5970. Now about that power and heat problem...

edward396

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I rather ignorantly decided to buy a new VIDEO card on Friday 11/12/10 It was an ASUS NVIDIA ENGTX470 1280MB GDDR5 card I got it to use in my new supa puta which I am going to dedicate for CAD use AutoCAD r11, Sketchup and a couple other CAD programs etc. I have an AMD Phenom II 3.4GHZ cpu in a Gigabyte MB , currently with two 1GB 1,333 Ghz dimms and two 2GB 1,333 dims but I am going to swap out the two 1GB dimms for a pair of 4GB dimms instead. Any ways enough of that crap I am going to return it tomorrow and just wait to bust a Black Friday assualt and get a more powerful card for a better deal.
!!!! What would any of you suggest for a good video card I should get for the Gigabyte motherboard primarly for CAD use and other high end graphics work, photography etc?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]edward396[/nom]What would any of you suggest for a good video card I should get for the Gigabyte motherboard primarly for CAD use and other high end graphics work, photography etc?[/citation]
I don't think it matters too much if you pick a gigabyte, msi or asus board for this use. If you're going overclocking or want osx, go gigabyte, but in general pick whichever has the features you want for the price closest to what you want.

As for graphics though - a quadro 600 or 2000 (depending on budget) would be better suited, as they're natively supported by the applications and supposedly performing better than gaming cards.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
edward396,

what ever you do DONT get a quadro card. GTX 470 is plenty fast, but obviously GTX 580 is going to be faster. If it costs too much, maybe wait and get 570. I doubt you'd be able to get gtx 480 for the price of gtx 470 you got recently, but you might be able to get a better deal for the 470 later on.

As you may know, Autocad switched to directx primary fro 3d a while back, opposed to OpenGL and as such is no longer artificially limited when using a non quadro card.

Sketchup and other openGL apps may or may not perform well depending on how restrictive openGL limitations nvidia put in place. You would be wise to check each individual app you're planing to use and check if its OpenGL or not. If it is, google long and hard for any FACTS on how restrictive nvidia openGL limitation is. 99% of "facts" are going to be people telling you how quadro is great without ever comparing it anything. DO NOT LOOK AT SPEC view cheat test. As its name applies, it cheats to artificially make quadro cards look good. You're only chance at finding how thing work are independent sites or actual users.

As a general rule of thumb, high end 8800+ series of cards will manipulate at least 1 million polygons in real time, even when severely artificially limited.

good luck.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]edward396,what ever you do DONT get a quadro card. [/citation]

Can you please explain a bit more in detail why not to get a quadro card?

At my company I'm in charge of autodesk licenses, and sort of stopped recommending getting cheaper gaming cards a few years back when I did real world tests to see the effect.
In inventor 2009 professional rendering a short video took 2 minutes and 3 seconds in software, and a whopping 2 seconds less with a geforce card in.
Later we got new geforce 9600gt cards (instead of the aging 6600gt ones), and while some features stopped stuttering, overall the performance increase was only visible on the aircondition and background noise. Not the system performance.

Getting old quadro cards changed the game a bit. They're slow, but actually being utilized by the software.

ps. we use : autodesk autocad, revit, showcase, inventor, 3ds max (all 2011 versions except showcase in 2010), adobe cs4 & arcgis 9.3.

How many of those would benefit from geforce cards and not only quadro?

ps. last year we tried using ati hd4000 series cards instead of geforce (price), and saw a similar lack of performance boost....

Status
Not open for further replies.