GeForce GTX 680, Part 2: SLI, 5760x1080, And Overclocking

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hiredhelp

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
People forget gtx 680 has boost overclocking soo it already a edge over 7970, so kinda dont like benchmarking both these cards unless they both overclocked to the max.

silicondoc_85

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
LMAO ! Music to my ears !
Cangelini: " In light of a lower price tag and fewer driver-related oddities, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy two GeForce GTX 680s instead of the two Radeon HD 7970s I purchased (and for $100 less), given an opportunity to choose again. "

YES ! HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA FINALLY JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE, THE RED HAS BEEN STUCK !

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]I'ma wait 2 months for Ivy bridge to arrive... I'm thinking by that time both AMD and Nvidia will have finished there pricing war and I'll pickup a HD 7970 for $350 that can OC to 1300 using CCC out of the box. Can some one email me when this happens: videocardpricewar@gmail.com[/citation]

ROFLMAO. And on that day pigs will fly.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I find there's something really fishy about this 680GTX card.I wonder if the image quality is exactly the same from one camp to another even with no AA.Plus, IMHO FXAA is total garbage. It does miracles for jaggies but seems to compromise the sharpness of textures in general. May as well look at your monitor through a foggy window and retain your FPS than activate useless FXAA.[/citation]
you don't k now what you are talking about...nVidia's programers know how to make the software work with the hardware....i would like to add that they are very good at it :)

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]you don't k now what you are talking about...nVidia's programers know how to make the software work with the hardware....i would like to add that they are very good at it[/citation]

bluekoala is right about what FXAA does, although it might be a little exaggerated for just how blurry it makes the picture. Also, whether or not Nvidia has good software programmers doesn't seem to be relavent at all to the comment that you replied to.

This does say something (and Chris' thoughts on this are similar to mine), but it's sad. AMD seems to have completely capable hardware, but with crossfire, it's just always waiting month to month to get a driver fix for this or that and crossing your fingers with hope that something else doesn't go wrong with each month's driver release. Perceivable microstutter in crossfire (with super high framerates in FRAPS, of course) always seems to be an issue with these cards as well. High framerates mean nothing when microstutter ruins the experience. It's always been my experience that AMD takes care of their single-GPU customers. This is the majority of their customers, so it's probably not bad from a business sense, though the minority that decide to go with the crossfire tech don't get the same driver support.

While in some cases Nvidia's SLI driver support is a little behind when new cards are introduced, I haven't had an issue by which a driver release introduced new issues like I experienced with the AMD crossfire driver support. You can also count on their next driver release to fix performance issues with the new cards.

Since I started running SLI instead of crossfire, I never have felt the SLI option was any sort of risk or that I know I'll have to deal with driver issues or performance issues. The stuff just works. On my multi-GPU setups, I consider the higher price tag for equivalent performance with Nvidia cards as the premium I'll willingly pay for not wasting my time with junk drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.