GeForce GTX 690 Review: Testing Nvidia's Sexiest Graphics Card

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]Remember follow the money, Price your flagship high enough to make your lower end more valuable. I do think we will see a 660 or maybe a 650 Ti with a cut down 104, how good can there yields be[/citation]

Those would probably have GK107. The cut down GK104s would be the 670, 670 TI (if it is real), and maybe the 660 TI.

[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]wait the gk107 is the replacement for the 108 so that would be the entry level gfx620, not midrange 670 660 ti.[/citation]

I clearly stated that the 670 TI, 670, and probably the 660 TI would have the GK104. Nvidia isn't going to cut the GK104 down into half or so for anything below these cards, so the next few cards down would have to be a different GPU.

I meant to say GK106, not GK107, it was a typo.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/45612-cheaper-nvidia-geforce-600-cards-coming-with-gk107-and-gk106.html

GK107 will probably be the GTX 650 and GT 640, along with the cards that it is already in.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
There's just not enough games to justify this card, or even 680. Looks like I'm gonna stick with GF570 this year, unless something crazy happens.

[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]There's just not enough games to justify this card, or even 680. Looks like I'm gonna stick with GF570 this year, unless something crazy happens.[/citation]

All modern games can make use of this card. Just grab a 120Hz 2560x1600 monitor, 3D 2560x1600 monitor, or three 1080p monitors; you'll start wondering why the $1000 card is struggling.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]All modern games can make use of this card. Just grab a 120Hz 2560x1600 monitor, 3D 2560x1600 monitor, or three 1080p monitors; you'll start wondering why the $1000 card is struggling.[/citation]

Good point, in that case.

[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Good point, in that case.[/citation]

Also keep the following in mind: We are supposed to be getting significantly more intensive games (look up Samaritan) and unless you have the GTX 570 2560MB, it will struggle with even 1080p in these games. 1280MB is just not enough VRAM for the GK110's performance, even though it is cut down in the 570.

So, it might not take something amazing for that 570 to show weakness caused by it's VRAM.

Avenger762

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
According to the article, the card has 3 dual-link DVI's and a mini display port connector. According to the picture it is 2 dual-link DVI's, 1 DVI-D, and a mini display port connector.

G

Just wanted to point out that the 6990 did not use an axial fan, rather a center mounted centrifugal fan. That is most likely the reason it was so loud in comparison to the GTX 590, while dissipating a similar amount of heat.

I wonder if this is going to be another Nvidia mystery card. Looks great but not available to the consumer. At least that's what happened with the mystery gtx 680. People have seen them on the net, but where do you purchase one?

[citation][nom]Why_Me[/nom]I wonder if this is going to be another Nvidia mystery card. Looks great but not available to the consumer. At least that's what happened with the mystery gtx 680. People have seen them on the net, but where do you purchase one?[/citation]

Every now and then, one or two models will be in stock for an hour or so or some sites. They are also easier to get if you go to a physical store, but that doesn't mean that you will get one even if you do that.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rglaredo[/nom]Very nice card ...is there an mmog game that will use that much power ?? LOL ...[/citation]

But can it play Diablo III? :p

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]A Radeon 6570 can play Diablo 3 excellently at 720p with the quality settings and AA maxed out and a 6770 can do 1080p.[/citation]

It was a Crysis joke, but nevermind... :/

suerayii

Honorable
May 9, 2012
So, is it just me or is nVidia really gouging on the price here

Try buy one in Australia. ONLY $ 1,600 here.....bargain, NOT

[citation][nom]HeavyHunter19[/nom]I think it can beat crysis, but not sure[/citation]

Ramp it up to a 4K display and we'll see if Crysis can still win... If not, then three 4K displays and then Crysis is sure to win against even the GTX 690! Just don't ask me to pay for this stuff.

G

I've been checking Newegg constantly for 3 weeks and the all GTX 600 models are literally always sold out. :-(

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Maaaaan...why the fuck would someone need 100+ fps in their screen? what i see here is that there are NEW monsters that are so hungry for data AND they are never pushed hard at their limits (even at those extreme high resolutions) cause whatever you throw at them, they eat it and they are STILL hungry. I think GPU industry has come to a point that is far beyond the software. Most people, and i mean at least 90% of us will never need this much raw power even for gaming oO I think game makers should work more to put much more eye candy to satisfy the needs of these "beasts"

[citation][nom]technoholic[/nom]Maaaaan...why the fuck would someone need 100+ fps in their screen? what i see here is that there are NEW monsters that are so hungry for data AND they are never pushed hard at their limits (even at those extreme high resolutions) cause whatever you throw at them, they eat it and they are STILL hungry. I think GPU industry has come to a point that is far beyond the software. Most people, and i mean at least 90% of us will never need this much raw power even for gaming oO I think game makers should work more to put much more eye candy to satisfy the needs of these "beasts"[/citation]

Considering that the software can run at far higher resolutions and AA than even quad SLI 680s or quad Crossfire 7970s can run playable, the software is by far ahead of the hardware. Go ahead and try running any of the most intensive games of today at triple 2560x1600 in 3D with maximum SSAA and tell me how it goes. The software can do it, but the hardware CAN'T do it acceptably. Two 690s probably wouldn't even manage 1FPS in such a situation. Heck, if anything out today can manage even 1FPS in such situations, I'd be surprised.

Also, there are practical situations for the GTX 690. It would be great for 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 on either 120Hz or 3D displays in the most intensive games (both in some less intensive games).

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Considering that the software can run at far higher resolutions and AA than even quad SLI 680s or quad Crossfire 7970s can run playable, the software is by far ahead of the hardware. Go ahead and try running any of the most intensive games of today at triple 2560x1600 in 3D with maximum SSAA and tell me how it goes. The software can do it, but the hardware CAN'T do it acceptably. Two 690s probably wouldn't even manage 1FPS in such a situation. Heck, if anything out today can manage even 1FPS in such situations, I'd be surprised.Also, there are practical situations for the GTX 690. It would be great for 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 on either 120Hz or 3D displays in the most intensive games (both in some less intensive games).[/citation]
Is it the resolution that makes a game realistic? I mean is it the new trick of the game makers to stretch image size instead of programming a more "intelligent" software with more realistic eye candy/deeper level of detail? Screen resolution is a part of it but not all of it. Nahhh i don't think the software is there yet. And optimization is software's work. I don't think those engineers optimize their software enough to use this hardware's full potential. Sorry but i do not think so

[citation][nom]technoholic[/nom]Is it the resolution that makes a game realistic? I mean is it the new trick of the game makers to stretch image size instead of programming a more "intelligent" software with more realistic eye candy/deeper level of detail? Screen resolution is a part of it but not all of it. Nahhh i don't think the software is there yet. And optimization is software's work. I don't think those engineers optimize their software enough to use this hardware's full potential. Sorry but i do not think so[/citation]

Sure, the code is not as efficient as it could be, but that doesn't matter. The software can use much higher quality than the hardware is capable of putting out. Even if you use a perfectly optimized game on the best possible graphics solutions available today, the software would still be ahead, although it would be a little closer.

SuperAxilla

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Awesome card. Expensive. GPU wars are getting weird. AMD with the 7970, then two GTX cards right after? I hope they do come up with a stock water cooler. I'm just not sure about the one centered stock cooling fan. Two of these would rock my socks off, but I think I'll wait to see if AMD "fires back".

G

What the hell man,is this card necessary for a 21.5" lcd.
I mean way overkill.

G

Any idea how it will perform with four monitors and Microsoft´s Flight Simulator X with Window 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.