News GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile Kicks Intel's Arc A730M Around

peachpuff

Estimable
Apr 6, 2021
It's definitely competitive, intel just needs to use some good ol' intel tactics (refunds/kickbacks to oems) and they'll easily increase their market share...

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
It's definitely competitive, intel just needs to use some good ol' intel tactics (refunds/kickbacks to oems) and they'll easily increase their market share...
:ROFLMAO: Too bad those “tactics” won’t work against Nvidia and the mindshare of intel in terms of GPU is just terrible, this isn’t “Pentium”.

:ROFLMAO: Too bad those “tactics” won’t work against Nvidia and the mindshare of intel in terms of GPU is just terrible, this isn’t “Pentium”.
I don't think OEMs give a single flying duck about any of that, if an OEM makes a model that is for office work or general productivity or whatever and intel gives them gpus for cheap they are going to be all over that, nobody needs an nvidia for general stuff.
As long as it works well enough for them to not have too many returns.
Obviously gaming branded OEM stuff will be a different story.

Reactions: spentshells

wcbhkids

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
I don't think OEMs give a single flying duck about any of that, if an OEM makes a model that is for office work or general productivity or whatever and intel gives them gpus for cheap they are going to be all over that, nobody needs an nvidia for general stuff.

No one really needs discrete video card for general stuff.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Then you’re wrong, OEMs want to sell stuff and not keep it on the shelves because Intel has a terrible rep when it comes to GPUs. Must be hard for Intel fans to bear, but they failed hard with their plans this year. Wasn’t the original plan beginning of the year? Hahahaha. Now it’s not even mid year. Let’s see if it will be 2023 then.

Then you’re wrong, OEMs want to sell stuff and not keep it on the shelves because Intel has a terrible rep when it comes to GPUs. Must be hard for Intel fans to bear, but they failed hard with their plans this year. Wasn’t the original plan beginning of the year? Hahahaha. Now it’s not even mid year. Let’s see if it will be 2023 then.
Look at current and past OEM models... I don't even have to say anything.
Also the delays can just as well be because of tsmc not producing enough, not everybody does paper launches like amd and nvidia.
If it takes until 2023 for intel to get a gpu out that will have a lasting stock and won't be scalped then so be it.

Reactions: KyaraM

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Look at current and past OEM models... I don't even have to say anything.
Also the delays can just as well be because of tsmc not producing enough, not everybody does paper launches like amd and nvidia.
If it takes until 2023 for intel to get a gpu out that will have a lasting stock and won't be scalped then so be it.
That sounds like a hard cope, and by the time the intel stuff is really out (if ever), it’s too late. Every day that passes it’s more likely for them to scratch the plans and throw them out, cause their stuff isn’t competitive with current GPUs and much less next year, when we have RX 7000 and RTX 4000. Intel and GPUs = a endless meme.

That sounds like a hard cope, and by the time the intel stuff is really out (if ever), it’s too late. Every day that passes it’s more likely for them to scratch the plans and throw them out, cause their stuff isn’t competitive with current GPUs and much less next year, when we have RX 7000 and RTX 4000. Intel and GPUs = a endless meme.
Oh yeah, OEMs are going to line up for $7-800 GPUs, they aren't going to use anything else ever again.
OEMs have systems out right now with a GT1030 and even older GPUs or with a CPU of ivy bridge or older with only the iGPU, intel can come out in two years with their new line and OEMs will still gobble them up if they are cheap enough.

Reactions: KyaraM

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
I think it's too early to say as some of the results were ok. It could be with some driver optimizations that some of those scores double - but honestly if the price is similar or you're hoping to play games just get the nvidia system.

The only thing that concerns me with Intel and system builders is Intel can convince them to use their dGPU over anyone else's for an Intel platform. Why bother talking to yet another company when you can get the other major component you need from the same company?

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's already doing the same thing.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Oh yeah, OEMs are going to line up for $7-800 GPUs, they aren't going to use anything else ever again.
OEMs have systems out right now with a GT1030 and even older GPUs or with a CPU of ivy bridge or older with only the iGPU, intel can come out in two years with their new line and OEMs will still gobble them up if they are cheap enough.
And the competing GPUs all have one thing in common: they work. Something that can’t be said about intel. Do you know what people think about Intel GPUs? Nothing. It’s worse than the rep it has with nerds. I will also tell anyone to not buy a Intel GPU, here you go. As with your predictions, you’re living in 2005 or something, too bad 2022 isn’t 2005. Intel will have to give out the GPU for a crass discount if they want OEMs to use that trash. Intel can abolish their GPU line, I don’t think it’s worth it. Raja, what a guy, a lot of talk, and 2 big failures. AMD can be so happy that he’s gone.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
And the competing GPUs all have one thing in common: they work. Something that can’t be said about intel. Do you know what people think about Intel GPUs? Nothing. It’s worse than the rep it has with nerds. I will also tell anyone to not buy a Intel GPU, here you go. As with your predictions, you’re living in 2005 or something, too bad 2022 isn’t 2005. Intel will have to give out the GPU for a crass discount if they want OEMs to use that trash. Intel can abolish their GPU line, I don’t think it’s worth it. Raja, what a guy, a lot of talk, and 2 big failures. AMD can be so happy that he’s gone.
I don't even recommend Intel CPUs to anyone, much less any Intel GPUs. A lot of a GPU depends on driver quality, something Intel lacks.

BTW, I owned an Intel i740 and that was a baaaad choice back then.

Reactions: KananX

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
intel can come out in two years with their new line and OEMs will still gobble them up if they are cheap enough.

if the drivers and compatibility are crap, it wont matter what intel charges for it, oems i doubt would touch it due to the headaches they will get from all the angry customers complaining about it.

OEMs use some CPUs without igpus and there any 'ol GPU (within reason) will do, and in general the cheaper the better.
But how cheap can Intel go on a GPU that uses a 406 mm2 graphics chip built on TSMC's "6nm" process? That's larger than the chips used in a desktop 3070 Ti or a laptop 3080, and may also be more expensive to produce than on Samsung's "8nm" node. I can't see a manufacturer putting something like that in a laptop designed for "office work or general productivity" when simply paying $20 or so more for a processor with integrated graphics would better fulfill that need. So gaming will likely be the focus of these cards, and if they can't compete there, Intel may need give them away for less than what it costs to make them.

Perhaps this architecture will scale a bit better on the desktop though, where heat and power are less of a limitation. These results seem indicative of Intel's cards being less efficient than AMD or Nvidia's current offerings. It's possible that Intel could release a desktop lineup comparable to what AMD's RX 480/580 series was relative to Nvidia's 10-series a couple generations back. A bit power-hungry relative to the competition, and unable to compete at the high-end, but also priced lower to compensate.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
CSGO result says some power saving plan is mucking the scores. Everyone knows that isn't close to beating a 3060 in Metro like this GPU did. Wait for a reviewer that knows how to change power savings settings gets it. I don't see this erratic behavior with my Intel igpu. A tflop acts like a tflop in that thing.

InvalidError

Titan
Intel ARC is meeting my expectations so far: fails to deliver anything worth paying any sort of premium for. We are likely two years away from Intel sorting out most of its major performance issues. Potentially great news for people hoping that ARC will get massive price cuts to clear inventory if Intel actually pushes driver development until they perform within expectations for the raw compute the cards are capable of.

KyaraM

Admirable
I don't even recommend Intel CPUs to anyone, much less any Intel GPUs. A lot of a GPU depends on driver quality, something Intel lacks.

BTW, I owned an Intel i740 and that was a baaaad choice back then.
If you are not recommending Intel CPUs at all, your advice is bad, especially if the reason is a super old CPU from over 12 years ago. They had some of the best CPUs on the market for the past decade, and still do. Disregarding them is as dumb as Disregarding AMD would be.

Reactions: logainofhades
especially if the reason is a super old CPU from over 12 years ago.
The i740 is the first GPU intel made, basically that was the time both amd and intel where planning on including an iGPU in their CPUs and in parallel intel tested the waters in releasing it as a dGPU, it was terrribad because it was a iGPU on a dGPU board.
At least this time around they released those to OEM exclusively and requiring a special bios so people don't make the mistake of using them in normal systems expecting dGPU performance.

KyaraM

Admirable
The i740 is the first GPU intel made, basically that was the time both amd and intel where planning on including an iGPU in their CPUs and in parallel intel tested the waters in releasing it as a dGPU, it was terrribad because it was a iGPU on a dGPU board.
At least this time around they released those to OEM exclusively and requiring a special bios so people don't make the mistake of using them in normal systems expecting dGPU performance.
Apologies, for some reason my brain read i7-950 there, not i740...

Still, I stand by the rest of my post, disregarding Intel CPUs is as bad as disregarding AMD since both make excellent CPUs.