Question GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC 8G is overheating in a Phanteks Shift 2 Air case ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2022
Hey all,

Been trying to narrow down an issue i am having regarding my GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti GAMING OC 8G hitting 80+ degrees in a Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air case.
Wondering if anyone else here is using this particular case with a 30 series Graphics card, i mainly ask about 30 series because i assume the overheating issue is because of the vents on the backplate and that the hot air being exhausted from there is getting choked from the PSU mounted within an inch behind it.

Previous case i used for it was a MSI Sekira 500x which is famously known as a hotbox and the temps i was hitting on Final Fantasy XIV as a test was 60/65 at max settings - Whereas in the Shift 2, it would stay at 80+ regardless of low or high settings of the same game and this was with the case side panels open. (Which doesn't matter too much anyway as the panels are mesh, not glass.)

If anyone has any ideas about why this is happening, i would appreciate any advice or response!
Thanks and bear with me for asking such a specific question!

View: https://imgur.com/a/kRCOEV6
<----The backplate of my GPU

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hey all,

Been trying to narrow down an issue i am having regarding my GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti GAMING OC 8G hitting 80+ degrees in a Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air.
Wondering if anyone else here is using this particular case with a 30 series Graphics card, i mainly ask about 30 series because i assume the overheating issue is because of the vents on the backplate and that the hot air being exhausted from there is getting choked from the PSU mounted within an inch behind it.

Previous case i used for it was a MSI Sekira 500x which is famously known as a hotbox and the temps i was hitting on Final Fantasy XIV as a test was 60/65 at max settings - Whereas in the Shift 2, it would stay at 80+ regardless of low or high settings of the same game and this was with the case side panels open. (Which doesn't matter too much anyway as the panels are mesh, not glass.)

If anyone has any ideas about why this is happening, i would appreciate any advice or response!
Thanks and bear with me for asking such a specific question!

View: https://imgur.com/a/kRCOEV6
<----The backplate of my GPU

1. Try to remove pcie plates from the case.

2. Make good case airflow.

3. Add one case fan under gpu.

4. Undervolt gpu.

Here is the way how to do that, but don't touch the memory clock.

Edit: I Just saw your case. I think there is a problem bad airflow - such a small case.
Also, could be dried gpu thermal paste.

Feb 20, 2022
Hey Vladkv! Thank you for the reply and suggestions, airflow could be the main issue i agree! I actually have a fan already under the GPU, i'm not sure how much you have seen of the case but when the GPU is mounted into it, the backplate of the GPU is very close to the mounted Power Supply behind it which makes me think that is the reason it is overheating as the hot air from the GPU gets vented out not only the PCIE Plate area but also the backplate of the GPU itself where there is a vent built into it. This problem only persists in that particular case, when i installed it back into my MSI Sekira 500x, it performed as expected which was normally without overheating. I was hoping someone else experienced this issue with the same case but it might be too niche of an issue and i might just have to accept the fact that this case is not suited for this GPU in mind.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hey Vladkv! Thank you for the reply and suggestions, airflow could be the main issue i agree! I actually have a fan already under the GPU, i'm not sure how much you have seen of the case but when the GPU is mounted into it, the backplate of the GPU is very close to the mounted Power Supply behind it which makes me think that is the reason it is overheating as the hot air from the GPU gets vented out not only the PCIE Plate area but also the backplate of the GPU itself where there is a vent built into it. This problem only persists in that particular case, when i installed it back into my MSI Sekira 500x, it performed as expected which was normally without overheating. I was hoping someone else experienced this issue with the same case but it might be too niche of an issue and i might just have to accept the fact that this case is not suited for this GPU in mind.
Exactly. I guess we solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.