GeForce3 Performance FAQ

G

Here are some Questions & Answers for GeForce3
1. Is GeForce3 genuinely a new generation of video card?
2. What is the shining/buying point of GeForce3 at present for consumers?
3. What are the performances of GeForce3 can be expected in running contents today?
4. Is an Athlon 800MHz powerful enough to exert the capability of GeForce3 completely?
5. What the performance boosts of GeForce3 over GeForce2 Ultra can be expected?
6. Will GeForce3 have a better antialiasing image quality than that of GeForce2 Ultra?
7. With the same video memory speed and lower video core speed, why GeForce3 has better performance than GeForce2 Ultra?
8. How the Lightspeed Memory Architecture boosts the performances of GeForce3?
9. How the HSAA through Multisampling boosts the AA performances of GeForce3?

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/NV20-11.htm" target="_new">here</A>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
1. Yes

2. Programmable Vertex and Pixel Shaders, Lightspeed memory architecture, High resolution Anti aliasing.

3. Todays games - on par with the GF2 Ultra, Way faster on future games.

4. Unlikely. Apparently the memory on the geforce already is a bottleneck.

5. a lot faster.

6. yep.

7. newer technology.

8. allowing much faster memory access.

9. More about quality at performance rather than just performance.

Check toms detailed report for detailed answers.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

OK Grenade... On number 4, are you seem to say 2 things. Is the Athlon 800 fast enough to put a GeForce 3 to good use, or is it not?

I think an Athlon 800 will fully complement a GeForce 3 in almost all situations, at least for the next year. :)

Cheers,
Warden

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
It will put it to good use, but he says:

"Is an Athlon 800MHz powerful enough to <b>exert</b> the capability of GeForce3 <b>completely</b>?"

thats why i said unlikely.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

I see. I could also argue that no matter HOW fast the processor, you could find SOME situation where it held back the graphics card, thereby rendering said processor unable to completely exert the cababilities of the GeForce 3. But that would be splitting hairs :) and I get your point.

But here is the point I want people to get: put your money in the graphics card. An Athlon 800 is enough CPU to at least ALMOST use (and I mean a very close almost) the GeForce 3 to its full potential, and will be for quite some time yet.

Cheers,
Warden

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I agree. I, myself have a AMD Athlon 650, and plan to get a GeForce 3 before I upgrade my cpu.