Get a Free Copy of Mafia II with GeForce GTX 400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
They used to give away new games with a video card when video cards were new tech and not all games needed graphics acceleration to be playable. Today we get free games with our video cards because, even with hot and heavy graphics acceleration, many new games are not worth playing, period.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
LMAO deal only good on the "omlet" series. Obvious attempt at Nvidia trying to blow out their overcooked line of cards to make way for a new line of more efficient chips like the 460.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I love that it's while stocks last for a digital download. Unless Nvidia is seriously thinking it's going to burn through their entire stock of 465, 470 and 480 cards during this promotion.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]theoutbound[/nom]I love that it's while stocks last for a digital download.[/citation]

I think they meant the stock of GPU cards, not the digital copy of games......but that would be funny if you were right!:)

[citation][nom]processthis[/nom]I believe it is given via a code for Steam.[/citation]

Steam is different. nVidia has their own digital distributions through "nZone". I got a free copy of Resident Evil 5 this way, and SHOULD have gotten a copy of Cryostasis this way. Unfortunately, they are supposed to email you with a CD_Key. Got my RE5 key, but the email for Cryostasis as missing the CD_Key. Out of luck there as every time I try to email nVidia through their nZone support email it always comes back as unsendable.

If it was Steam, I'd be happier.

As for "While Supplies Last", that's junk. It's a digital copy. Unless of course they synthetically limited the number of CD-Keys being issued.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]doomdesire86[/nom]Why is everyone hatin on nvidia....each company has their UPs and DOWNs.[/citation]

Yes, that much is true. Even Intel and of course AMD/ATI have had downs. But nVidia has done screw up after screw up after screw up for years. They are now running more on marketing than technology, they are recycling products, they have perhaps the dumbest naming of a product.

Are the GeForce cards are GTX cards? Whats the point of "GTX" is the model numbers won't allow a bottom end "GTX", such as the GTX 310... oops, its a G310 which is are re-labeled G210. Or the GTs250 which is a re-packaged 9800GTX which is an overclocked and updated 8800GT Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!

So the G, GTX, GT, GTS are useless and meaning tags for products. They made more sense if you were referring to the same tech (8800) but differ speeds (GTs/GTX/Ultra). The 9000s should have been 8000s since they were no different than 8000s. So the 9800GTs should have been 8900GTs. Then their DX10-G2xx cards would have made sense to call them 9000 series. With that THE whole new DX11 line could have been the new ### model numbers. What happen to the 100 series? They skipped the 300 "named" series, except for the 310/320 whatever.

They're finally phasing out the geForce 9x00/8x00 series of cards.

ATI has their generation and feature sets clearly defined. the 2000 / 3000 / 4000 / 5000 are in their classes and easily understood.

- Nvidia + Chipgate... ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.