Mar 17, 2020
Hey guys,

I got 5 recovery discs from my old HP PC that came with Win 7. So I now want to install Win 7 as a 2nd OS on my custom build computer, however, obviously, the recovery only works with my HP. So this is my question: How do I simply install Windows 7 from the HP recovery disks, without any of the Hp driver or other software? Basically I want to get the Windows 7 Installer from the recovery. Is it possible and if yes how do I do it?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thnx,

R.T.

Mar 17, 2020
That's like trying to extract the raw eggs from an already baked cake.

In addition, the Win 7 license that is in there is only applicable to that original HP.

Gotcha. I have plenty of keys to activate on other machines. I like the egg example. I guess I have to resort to ebay.

from my experience with brand name PC's over many years my theory has always been they use a different liscence key on the recovery CD's. i know when i was a tech for HP many years ago HP did have a generec key to activate other versions of windows too.

so my understanding was the OEM key on the sticker that came with PC's that needed one was not used and it was only there for emergencies like HDD failiures or if you ever lost the recovery CD's so you were able to reinstall a stand alone version of windows and still be able to activate it.

but still, using windows 7 on any home PC these days is just asking for trouble. MS will still let you activate a copy of windows 10 with any legit windows 7 or 8 key

Mar 17, 2020
from my experience with brand name PC's over many years my theory has always been they use a different liscence key on the recovery CD's. i know when i was a tech for HP many years ago HP did have a generec key to activate other versions of windows too.

so my understanding was the OEM key on the sticker that came with PC's that needed one was not used and it was only there for emergencies like HDD failiures or if you ever lost the recovery CD's so you were able to reinstall a stand alone version of windows and still be able to activate it.

but still, using windows 7 on any home PC these days is just asking for trouble. MS will still let you activate a copy of windows 10 with any legit windows 7 or 8 key

It is possible that anytime Microsoft will pull the plug for Win 7. Not sure what I'm gonna do then... and for me its either Win 7 or 10. Win 8/8.1 is one of the worst if not THE WORST os out there. Rather have AVG and live with 7, until MS really stuffs Win 10 down my throat.

Jul 30, 2020
Usually when you buy a desktop and there is the Product key sticker on the side its OEM to that machine and wont fully activate if used on another desktop or wont activate at all.

so its either find one of those anytime upgrade disks with product key or be stuck just installing the OS and leave it unregistered.

USAFRet

Titan
Usually when you buy a desktop and there is the Product key sticker on the side its OEM to that machine and wont fully activate if used on another desktop or wont activate at all.

so its either find one of those anytime upgrade disks with product key or be stuck just installing the OS and leave it unregistered.
The Unregistered (Unactivated) thing only works with Win 10.
Earlier versions, you have 30 days of use.

It is possible that anytime Microsoft will pull the plug for Win 7. Not sure what I'm gonna do then... and for me its either Win 7 or 10. Win 8/8.1 is one of the worst if not THE WORST os out there. Rather have AVG and live with 7, until MS really stuffs Win 10 down my throat.

they already did. MS dropped support for windows 7 in january of this year

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4527878/faq-about-extended-security-updates-for-windows-7

stop beleving the media. windows 10 is just as good and more secure as windows 7 and 8

Mar 17, 2020
they already did. MS dropped support for windows 7 in january of this year

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4527878/faq-about-extended-security-updates-for-windows-7

stop beleving the media. windows 10 is just as good and more secure as windows 7 and 8

Windows 10 is really good. Is just that I miss the aero interface and classic theme. I mean, if they hadn't removed the classic theme in Win 8 and 10.......

Right now most of my computers run 10, 4 run server 2008/2019, 2 run win7 , 3 run 8.1, 1 runs XP, and an old one runs 98.

I must admit, however, that I do not like Microsoft's decision of Win 10 being "the last" in the sense. I don't need big big features - just change the name every three years. Not a big deal right? 2015 - Win 10. 2018 - Win 11. 2021 - Win 21 New Decade edition Pro XS plus 3Z. I mean, just put a fancy version number, you know? No kernel changes and stuff that caused problems for businesses.

Probably I'm thinking like an idiot? Idk.

Mar 17, 2020

I've used the same product key across 5 devices at the same time with no problem. (not mine, at my friends office.) Don't report me tho :ROFLMAO:

Mar 17, 2020
The Win 10 of 2004 is quite different than the Win 10 of 2016.
It already has different "names".
1809, 1903, 1909, 2004....
Well, not quite. Why when I go to control panel it says Windows 10 Pro? it should say Windows 2004 pro or some like that. Besides, these are just build versions. And yeah, win 10 in 2015 is quite different. So why not name build 2004 windows 11 or some you know?