gettign the highest rated parts from amazon and the lowest cost of the highest rated, is that ok? or go for laptop? which is b

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
gettign the highest rated parts from amazon and the lowest cost of the highest rated, is that ok? or go for laptop? which is better, i dunno any of this stuff

looking for best value

best value = highest performance/gains to cost ratio

main use is chrome

need something that is good for moving often (from nyc to sf for example) / travelling

* is desktop like 70% of a laptop for same thing?

* or laptop like 150% of a desktop?

need to know to decide

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

here, this comment got lost in the mess:

"how i get a free computer with 16g ram then? that would solve everythign in this universe

chrome needs 16g

8g not enough

testeed lots already

testing right now for exampe as well"

Wolfshadw

Titan

I seem to be running Chrome just fine on my tablet and it doesn't have anywhere near 16GB of RAM installed. So unless you're talking about something other than browsing the web using Chrome, you don't need 16GB of RAM. Heck! My main desktop doesn't have 16GB of RAM installed.

-Wolf sends

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
i typically have ~100-1000 tabs open

i have 8gb and it's not enough

i cant tell what would be a good laptop

other than that i someimtes use a few desktop apps like onenote

onenote is on mac also

The problem starts with your initial assumptions.

1. about 80% of people that rate stuff are idiots (for want of a better word). Their ratings are subjective and includes consideration for non-performance and non-value.

2. Then you get the issue with age of product and number of reviews. Is a 10-year old product with 15,000 reviews at 4.5 stars better than a year-old product with 360 reviews and 4 stars?

3. Then you conflate price with value and ratings. The highest rated product already yields a different selection criteria than lowest cost. is a $400 product with 5 stars better than a $360 product with 4.5 stars? What if the number of reviews on the %360 product exceeds the number of reviews on the 5-star product by a factor of 5?

As so many on here have already pointed out. First decide what you need - a laptop because you need a mobile product or a desktop because you don't care that it will weigh 20-30 pounds excluding the monitor, but you need the large monitor and the cost savings of a desktop.

Once you have decided that, then the decision tree bifurcates again. So start with making the easy, basic decisions. After that, when you have it narrowed down - laptop, tablet, Surface, desktop build-your-own, buy, form factor, etc. then start making quantitative decisions based on hard reviews such as those conducted by experienced reviewers such as the fine folks here at Toms, the fine folks at Anandtech, JohnnyGuru, nothebookcheck.net, and so many more.

Good luck, you have a long journey of learning ahead.

How can you possibly function with 1,000 tabs on a browser???

Edit: just for grinz I thought I'd test this. It might be instructive for anyone reading this thread (now or in the future) to try and open a few hundred tabs on Chrome. (Ctrl-T is a keybaord shortcut) After about 20 or so, I'd say the usability of the tabs start declining rapidly and after a few hundred it's not possible to evaluate usability anymore.

Edit 2: Oh, and did I mention I tried this on a 24-inch 1920x1200 monitor? I'd hate to have to try that on a 12-inch notebook screen using a touchpad to navigate between tabs.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
i used a touchpad ofr over a year cos mouse broke,

resolution size may be negatively affecting it, not sure how pass 20 usabilty starts delcining rapidly, after a tab loads its fine, less so with youtube...

lots of ppl have lotta tabs -- they complain about the problem, chrome, firefox mostly, but that's cos thats what most uses, cant find the links currenlty -- http://www.hntoplinks.com/year

~10y or w/e ago firefox had tons of tabs open with no problems

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
1 - 80% biased and not precisely accurate ratings are likely better than the non-existing and nowhere to be found actually helpful 1 biased opinion

2 - im sure amaz https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_Internet_companies would adjust the ratings for inflation, seeing that they never fixed their site or anything for decades or w/e... im sure they would do something smart like adjusting/depreciating ratings that...

3 - 'by a factor of 5?' - yea the mathematicians are still working on that, they've yet to get back to me on an answer to the related real-life problems, they dont seen to have any solutions when it comes to directly real-life stuff, so i cursed them out, and they banned me or somethign liek that cos they're really smart like amazon, especially with real-life & 'examples from real-life), which they have a very hard time understanding, pretty sure they wont understand a laptop since it's real physical object in real life... maybe one time they'll collab with the physicsts and invent a time travel machine so i can travel back and see what's up with that progress...

'Once you have decided that,' -- it was already pretty decided, went with laptop but some really smart person moved a post from the laptop section over here, and now it's a cluttered cos you know ppl real smart

that's why highest rated in aggregated seemed like the only best option there was

---

what's best value laptop?

* 16gb ram
* ~25-50 ssd
* no gpu needed (but if it has, it has)

not a chromebook -- http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/#who -- cos need desktop apps on occasional blue moons and likely within next 5y or so

prefer 25-30" lcd screen that can auto-transform into a small size so can move it (maybe some advance material science would help, but dont innovation or tech is there yet) - is a peference, optional

nothing else that matters or i can think of

that seems like the current progress with this so far

USAFRet

Titan

And now we're into the realm of magic.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.