Question Getting 3 sticks of RAM to 3200 MHz with XMP

mateo226

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hey everyone!

So I've just finished setting up a new build and have problems getting my RAM sticks to go to their advertised 3200 MHz clock speed.
First off, my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
GPU: ASUS RTX 2060 Super
RAM: 2 sticks ( came bundled together ) - EVO SPEAR 2x8 GB 3200 MHz for AMD systems, and one stick ( purchased separately ) - XPG Gammix D30 Red AD 8GB 3200 MHz

Now, I managed to install all three sticks, and the PC boots up fine, and it shows up as 24 GBs of RAM. So all is well in regards to that. Now, all the sticks are running at 2133 MHz by default. When I go into BIOS and turn on the XMP profile 1 it says it says it will set the RAM speeds to 3200 MHz, but with 3 sticks in, it just doesn't post. Now, with only the EVO SPEAR sticks in and the XMP profile enabled, I got it to post and run at 3200 MHz, but the system froze completely after around 5 minutes of use. I am not sure if this is anyhow related to the RAM, it could be something completely else at fault.

Also, using CPU-Z I found this to be the XMP settings required for each stick to run at 3200 MHz:
EVO SPEAR - 16 18 18 36 55
XPG - 16 18 18 36 54

Inside BIOS, XMP notes the exact same settings, which leaves me to wonder as to why it won't boot.

Returning any of these parts is hardly an option at this point, and I would really appreciate some help to get this up and running if that's even possible ( at 3200 MHz ).
Let me know if you need any more info, or perhaps if the JEDEC columns in CPU-Z are of any importance to you ( I honestly do not understand what they mean )

Thank you in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Mixing memory makes/models is not advisable. Doing so can produce unintended, undesirable effects. For best results, all of your memory should match.

I would recommend you stick to using the matched pair and not use the third odd one.

mateo226

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
All right, got the two EVO sticks running at 3000 MHz but can't get them to run at 3200 MHz.
After trying to get them to run at 3200 MHz, the PC wouldn't post for some reason.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
All right, got the two EVO sticks running at 3000 MHz but can't get them to run at 3200 MHz.
After trying to get them to run at 3200 MHz, the PC wouldn't post for some reason.
This is not unusual. I have a Ryzen rig that does the same. Rock solid at 3000, fails at 3200. Memory is 3200.

Running at 3000 will have virtually no impact on your user experience. Leave at 3000 and game on!

Reactions: throwawayaccnt
Is there any reason for using 3 modules? Using 3 modules means you are limited to single channel mode which is a huge performance hit in many games and programs affected by memory speed. Add a 4th module of the same as that single module to get dual channel mode. You may be limited to 3000Mhz and could possibly work at 3200Mhz with looser timings.

Reactions: Phaaze88
The problem is that you are using X.M.P. timings, which are tuned for Intel memory controllers. There are some secondary timings that Ryzen needs a bit more loose to hit the higher frequencies. You are better off just leaving the timings in auto (not XMP) to let the motherboard figure them out, but if you want the most performance you need to manually tune. There are tools available.

Reactions: Phaaze88

mateo226

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Is there any reason for using 3 modules? Using 3 modules means you are limited to single channel mode which is a huge performance hit in many games and programs affected by memory speed. Add a 4th module of the same as that single module to get dual channel mode. You may be limited to 3000Mhz and could possibly work at 3200Mhz with looser timings.

Well, I bought all 3 so I really don't want to have a wasted stick of RAM since I can't return it anymore, so I'm trying to make use of what I've got, that's pretty much it, to be honest. I might add a 4th stick eventually once I can actually afford one.

The problem is that you are using X.M.P. timings, which are tuned for Intel memory controllers. There are some secondary timings that Ryzen needs a bit more loose to hit the higher frequencies. You are better off just leaving the timings in auto (not XMP) to let the motherboard figure them out, but if you want the most performance you need to manually tune. There are tools available.

I'll most certainly take a look at that, it actually seems doable with the Ryzen Calculator, so I'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the link :D