Question Getting Back Into the Fray

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I currently have an ASUS Sabertooth X79 with Win7 Pro 64 installed. I'm going to bite the bullet and start using Win10 Pro 64 on my desktop. The X79 is listed on ASUS ambiguously as supporting Win10. There hasn't been a firmware update since before Win10 was released and it's listed as being "tested" for compatibility on the same web page. Who knows how long that's been its status.

So I'm skipping that and looking at building yet another computer with an updated mobo and whatever else that will require (CPU, RAM, Cooling, etc.). The X79 was my last build. I have built and tweaked computers since 2003. What has me surprised this time around is how much money some of the new boards can cost. Wow!

I have an EVGA 1080 SC card that's only a year old and will be sticking with that for graphics (and a 1080P monitor). I'm not buying any games much anymore as the gaming industry has more or less flat-lined in creativity in my opinion. Overclocking isn't as big a concern anymore. I don't need built in WiFi and I don't care about the on-board sound as I have a Soundblaster ZxR. I like ASUS and EVGA from experience. I used to be a big DFI fan back in the day (I still have a nice X58 rig actually). I'm looking for a decent motherboard that will serve my needs but not be obsolete anytime soon. I would appreciate some suggestions to get me started in my research.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10 will absolutely work on your current X79 board.

But for a new system, start here:

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Win 10 will absolutely work on your current X79 board.

But for a new system, start here:

Thanks for the feedback about the X79.

I have been a member of Tom's since the late 90's back before the days of the Pentium 1. Although I admit it's been awhile since I last visited. Since last my visit several years ago I have lost my original membership and all my forum history due to the recent forum overhaul that impacted many other members here besides myself. Now I'm greeted with a reply referring me to go read what amounts to a book of rules on how to ask a simple question which is a bit rude even if unintended.

With respect, if you don't see how that can be the case I guess you need to open yourself up to how these advisory messages can send an unintended "meta-message".

I'm not building a new system. My question is regarding motherboards in the "Motherboards" section of the forum.

Best regards folks.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
First, let me thank you for reaching out to help me. My response yesterday was a reflection of my initial experience. I have no desire to do anything here other than get some help or help others when I can. I will review the protocols in spite of having been a long time member as I mentioned.

Back to the motherboard question...in a nutshell I was hoping for a suggestion for something that would be comparable to the X79 but in a current release. That way all I would need to replace in addition to the motherboard would be the CPU, RAM and a new cooler which is generally the case. I have grown partial to ASUS and EVGA.

Lastly, I would like to mention I'm still having issues signing on to the forum. I enter my username/password but the web page continues to state I need to sign in to reply. I click the sign in again and a message pops stating I'm already signed in. But I still cannot reply and this goes round and round until at some point my user name eventually appears on screen and then everything works.

Thanks again for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
I'll elevate your sign on issues up the chain.

As far as a new motherboard, plus RAM/CPU/cooler...that is basically a whole new PC.
Additionally, you might want to look at a new power supply as well.

What is your overall budget for this?
Parts lists that can be tweaked...
$1,000

$500

$1,500

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for help with sign in. I posted on the Forum Overhaul Mega-thread as well in Forum Feedback.

Since I don't roll over my computers until it's necessary I try to get quality without going overboard (unless that's the only choice). So my budget here would probably be $1000 give or take for the items I listed. To cut to the chase, I was mainly startled at the prices for current top end motherboards. I have paid well over $300 for top end boards in the past and assumed the prices would be a bit higher now but not doubled. Then I thought about how the manufacturers are marketing boards that have lots of features and power but also appear to be encapsulated with ducts, heat management and features like built in wifi, bluetooth, on-board sound and newer connections like display port and such. That's what's driving the higher prices to some extent. The boards are evolving into Swiss Army Knives.

USAFRet

Titan
Top end boards give no performance benefit over cheaper ones. Just more features.

Ditch the WiFi and bluetooth.
On board sound is a given, as is DisplayPort.

In the $1,000 parts link above, all of the motherboards are under $150. And don't give up any performance vs more expensive ones.
You don't have to go into sticker shock at the boards.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Sorry to be late replying. This was finals week at my college. It's weird going to college at 64. Such a different perspective.

Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will give the X79 a go with Win10 and proceed from there. I appreciate your help.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Just a quick follow up. I'll post elsewhere if this goes any further as it's not really motherboard related anymore.

I tried upgrading to Win10 Pro from Win7 Pro using the guides on the Windows Ten forums. Essentially I upgraded Win7 to Win10 using a bootable USB stick with Win10 Pro install files. It worked better than I expected but still ended up with issues that I decided are not worth the trouble (sound issues with Chrome and some games, duplicate programs, missing programs, driver updates, etc.). It made a mess of sorts to get to the heart of it.

I like clean installs. It's just a better place to start. But thanks to all of you for your inputs. I do appreciate it.