Question Getting BSOD on Asus ROG computer, but no dump files are created ?

Apr 11, 2024
My computer is an Asus ROG STRIX G10CES Desktop.

I have been dealing with this issue for quite a few months, and it's really frustrating me. I am getting blue screens on my computer, even when I'm simply browsing the web. I have tried everything, including running a memory test, using sfc scannow, updating BIOS, updating NVIDIA drivers, etc., and none of that seemed to have helped. The error code I usually get is UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, but I have also gotten WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR as well.

It will BSOD for a second, and then automatically restart. If I disable automatic restart, it will stay on the BSOD and not move past 0%. No dump files are created either, and it will say "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.", meaning that it's even harder to diagnose the issue. I even have photo evidence below. I would like someone to help me.

true

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
The 0x154 (UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION) BSOD is most typically caused by bad RAM, although it can also be a bad system drive. In the first instance I'd suggest running Memtest86...
  1. Download Memtest86 (free), use the imageUSB.exe tool extracted from the download to make a bootable USB drive containing Memtest86 (1GB is plenty big enough). Do this on a different PC if you can, because you can't fully trust yours at the moment.
  2. Then boot that USB drive on your PC, Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots.
  3. If no errors have been found after the four iterations of the 13 different tests that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another four iterations. Even a single bit error is a failure.
Not producing dumps is a big problem because they are the main source of problem determination for BSODs. To write dumps ALL of the following must be true...
  • The page file must be on the same drive as your operating system
  • Set page file to "system managed"
  • Set system crash/recovery options to "Automatic memory dump"
  • Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
  • User account control must be running
In addition, the following can also prevent you seeing dumps...
  • SSD drives with older firmware do not create dumps (update the drive firmware)
  • Cleaner applications like Ccleaner delete dump files, so don't run them until you are fixed
  • Bad RAM may prevent the data from being saved and written to a file on reboot, so if all else fails test your RAM
You'll note that bad RAM and/or a bad system drive can stop dumps being written as well as causing the 0x154 BSOD....

Apr 11, 2024
Hello there. I apologize for the late reply. Windows Error Reporting was set to manual by default. I did update my BIOS from 302 to 304, but this did not permanently fix the problem. I have ordered a USB stick on Amazon, and I will further diagnose the issue once it arrives.

Reactions: ubuysa
Apr 11, 2024
I tried setting page file to "system managed" and setting system/crash recovery options to "automatic memory dump", and dump files are still not being created. How can I check to see if the page file is on the same drive as my operating system, as well as checking is user account control is running? I also don't have CCleaner. My SSD is "INTEL SSDPEKNU010TZ", and when I check MyASUS, it recommends I update to V18.36.1.1016, however, when I try, it stays at V10.0.22621.3235.
thumbnail

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.

ubuysa

Distinguished
No, that's not it. What you've done is uploaded the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.exe file, that's not what I asked for. You need to RUN this exe file and allow it to collect the required data and write it to a zip file. It's the file SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip that you should be uploading.

Apr 11, 2024
No, that's not it. What you've done is uploaded the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.exe file, that's not what I asked for. You need to RUN this exe file and allow it to collect the required data and write it to a zip file. It's the file SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip that you should be uploading.
I'm bumping this thread again. I have tried Memtest86 once, and it showed no errors.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Copy the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe file that you downloaded (as a zip file called SysnativeFileCollectionApp 5.0.3.zip) to the Desktop and execute it (double-click it) from there. Wait while it runs - you'll see a window with coloured text whilst it runs, note that it may take a while to complete so please WAIT.

Eventually a text widow will open explaining that the data collection has finished and telling you that a file called SysnativeFileColletionApp.zip has been created on your desktop - upload this zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here (you can no longer attach files directly to this post). Be sure to make it publicly accessible.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024
Copy the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe file that you downloaded (as a zip file called SysnativeFileCollectionApp 5.0.3.zip) to the Desktop and execute it (double-click it) from there. Wait while it runs - you'll see a window with coloured text whilst it runs, note that it may take a while to complete so please WAIT.

Eventually a text widow will open explaining that the data collection has finished and telling you that a file called SysnativeFileColletionApp.zip has been created on your desktop - upload this zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here (you can no longer attach files directly to this post). Be sure to make it publicly accessible.
I'll give this a try when my computer gets a BSOD again.

Reactions: ubuysa

ubuysa

Distinguished
That's interesting because in your System log, which runs from Dec 2023 to today, there isn't a single BSOD recorded, neither are there any dump files. I can see a lot of system restarts in your System log that are not BSOD related and that suggests a hardware cause. RAM is always the first point of call with hardware related failures, and in your Application log there are large numbers of application error messages with memory related exceptions - this is also a big pointer towards bad RAM. Here's an example...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          06/03/2024 20:47:47
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: Application Crashing Events
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          S-1-5-21-656615451-3364641526-1564194660-1001
Computer:      Liam
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.22621.3155, time stamp: 0x3fb2d7a4
Faulting module name: Taskbar.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3155, time stamp: 0xc16a5390
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000164abb
Faulting process ID: 0x0x1334
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA6D293E2D0A98
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Taskbar.dll
Report ID: 6a90e5bd-f235-41fb-b4de-471ab6e3440a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:
The 0xC0000005 exception code is an invalid memory access and whilst that can be caused by many things bad RAM is certainly one.

Did you ever test your RAM with Memtest86 as I suggested in post #2? If not then please do that now.

In addition to this (and possibly related) your System log shows a huge number of errors for nvlddmkm.sys, the Nvidia graphics driver....
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        nvlddmkm
Date:          22/06/2024 02:57:53
Event ID:      153
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Liam
Description:
The description for Event ID 153 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\00000095
Reset TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
The TDR reset referenced there relates to the Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery feature, this resets the graphics driver and card if a graphics hang occurs. This error (and the huge number of similar errors) is telling you that a graphics hang happened and was recovered by TDR. That will cause a crash to desktop for the app that was using the graphics card at the time. It is entirely possible that the graphics hang was caused by bad RAM.

You need to properly test your RAM with Memtest86 as advised before moving on to other potential causes.