[SOLVED] Getting "Kernel Power Error 41 (Task Category 63)"

Jul 25, 2020
Hello everybody,

While typing the title for my question I've found a lot of other problems but non of these contained the answer to my problem so I'll try it on my own.
Let's start with the background:

I have build my PC on my own in 2018 with an

ASUS ROG Strix Gaming-F
i7-8700 (non-k)
MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
32 GB RAM (Corsair Vengance)
Blu Ray Drive by ASUS,
WD Blue HDD (4TB),
Samsung SSD 850 Evo (500gb)
be quiet! 550W PSU

I had no problem in playing all my games until the Release of Far Cry 5. My GPU went too hot until it shut down in order to preserve itself. After replacing the stock cooler with a Raijintek Morpheus II I could solve this problem and the GPU has since run at max. 50-60 celsius degrees (on 4K max settings).

About half an year later I encountered a similar error that happens now. I got error 41 but only when under load (playing games). I ran all kind of stress tests with no problem, the PC completed every one of theme without an error and also the heat never came above 55 degrees.

I was then suggested to replace my PSU because on peaks it could not provide enough power. I did as told in February this year and installed a 650W Power supply which should be more than enough for all my components. And after this replacement the PC did not shut itself down anymore when under load. I later this year replaced my SSD (because a little plastic broke and could not hold the power cable anymore) with an Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB plus (a little overkill but who cares).

The SSD runs fine and I have installed every single game I own on this drive in order to play whatever I want when ever I want. But since a few days ago my PC starts to freeze and then reboot with kernel error 41 (task 63). I fist suspected either my GPU or my PSU but one day after the first crash, my pc started to reboot also while just browsing files on my NAS, which did not create any heavy load on either one of my components. I ran chkdsk and sfc commands and also updated Windows and all my drivers without anything changing.

Does anyone has an idea on why this could happen ? Would really appreciate the help. Greetings

Edit: I don't know if it's important to state but i don't get an BSOD the screen just freezes and then the pc reboots.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Kernel Power Error 41 (Task Category 63) is a reaction , not a cause.
At startup win 10 runs a report, and if it finds the previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates Event 41 (63)
Windows doesn't know why it restarted.

It may not have been the PSU. People misread this as a GPU error when freeze could be anything.

Tried running PC without GPU and off the CPU, you won't be able to play any games but might test if cause is GPU or not.

Jul 25, 2020
Kernel Power Error 41 (Task Category 63) is a reaction , not a cause.
At startup win 10 runs a report, and if it finds the previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates Event 41 (63)
Windows doesn't know why it restarted.

It may not have been the PSU. People misread this as a GPU error when freeze could be anything.

Tried running PC without GPU and off the CPU, you won't be able to play any games but might test if cause is GPU or not.
Thanks for your replay. So what do you recommend ? Check if both (CPU and GPU) are correctly inserted to the mainbord and run stresstest afterwards ?

Jul 25, 2020
Jul 25, 2020
Hello again,
Sorry for the late reply. I did a Memtest86+ last evening. The tool might have crashed after approximately 45 minutes (the progress bar did not move anymore and the tool did not answer on my commands while pressing either escape or c button). I tried again and test finished without any errors being found or at least one pass finished. So i would exclude the RAM as a reason.

Today I ran Stresstests for both my GPU and CPU, starting with Prime95 for my CPU. During the Test my System was really laggy and it appears to be frozen but no crash and after a minute it reacted again so i take it's due to the stresstest. The temperature was about 50 to 55 degrees Celsius and the power consumption was about 65W (as listed on the official intel site) but i'd like to notice than one time the power consumption, according to hwinfo, went up to 250W for just a second.

For the GPU stresstest i used FurMark. And here i encountered a crash. I started the tool to stresstest my gpu at fullscreen 4k settings. at first everything worked, the benchmark scored 65 fps on average and the temps went as high as 65 - 70 degrees celsius. But after about 10 minutes my PC froze for two minutes and then rebooted. Now I'm running the test again and as fas it runs stable. I don't know if this indicates a GPU problem since the temps are fine for this stress test ?

Jul 25, 2020
Hello everybody,

While typing the title for my question I've found a lot of other problems but non of these contained the answer to my problem so I'll try it on my own.

Let's start with the background. I built my PC on my own in February 2018 with the following specs:

Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix Gaming-F

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 (non-k)

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X

RAM: 32 GB RAM (Corsair Vengance)

Optical Drive: Blu Ray Drive by ASUS,

HDD: WD Blue HDD (4TB),

SSD (Boot): Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB (has been replaced with a Samsung SSD 970 Evo 2 TB Plus)

PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W PSU (has been replaced with a be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W PSU)

I had no problem in playing all of my games in 4K Max Settings until the Release of Far Cry 5. My GPU went too hot until it shut down in order to preserve itself. After replacing the stock cooler with a Raijintek Morpheus II I could solve this problem and the GPU has since run at max. 50-60 celsius degrees (on 4K max settings).

About half an year later I encountered some first problems. When under load (while playing Video Games) my PC crashed without a BSOD and then rebooted. In the Event viewer I got error messages of event 41. I then ran all kinds of stress tests (GPU, CPU, RAM) without log file indicating a hardware issue. I was then suggested to replace my PSU because on peaks it could not provide enough power. I did as told in February this year and installed a 650W Power supply which should be more than enough for all my components. After this replacement the PC did not shut itself down anymore when under load. In May I replaced my SATA SSD with an M.2, both from Samsung. I then downloaded nearly all my games to the SSD in order to play them.

Now we come to my Problem. Since a few days ago my PC starts to freeze and then reboot. The Event Viewer once again says it’s error 41. I first suspected the same problem as last time, my PSU could not provide enough power for all my components since the error only occurred while gaming. But then it also happened while browsing some photos on my NAS.

After checking if all my Windows Drivers as well as my UEFI and Windows itself were up to date i ran a chkdsk and sfc command. sfc did find a few errors and repaired them but did not fix the crashes. I also run stresstests for my 3 major components starting with Memtest86+. The first pass „crashed“ after 45 minutes. The tool did not react on any command (wether escape nor change test). After I restarted the PC and the test it finished one pass without any single error being detected.

The Prime95 Stresstest went for approximately 40 minutes. After i started the test my PC was really lagging and even froze for about 2 minutes but did not crash and i think this is due to the heavy load. At the same time i ran hwinfo to check my temps and power consumption. The temperature was about 50 to 55 degrees celsius and the power consumption was about 65W (as listed on the official intel site) but I’d like to notice that one time the power consumption, according to hwinfo, went up to 250W for just a second.

For the GPU Stresstest i used FurMark. During this test I encountered a crash. I started the tool at fullscreen 4k settings and at first everything worked fine, the benchmark scored 65 fps on average and the temps went as high as 65 - 70 degrees Celsius. But after roughly 10 minutes my PC froze and then rebooted. I retried the test again and after 40 minutes without any crash I stopped the test. I don’t know if this crash indicates a GPU problem since the temps are fine for this stresstest ?

Last but not least i think even with a really high CPU power consumption peak at 250W (maybe it was an error with hwinfo ?) the PSU shouldd be powerful enough for my components. I also checked if all cables are plugged in correctly. Last but not least I doubt it’s due to a power error caused by the Circuit in the house since other devices don’t turn off.

I’m slowly running out of ideas on why these crashes keep happening. I would really appreciate if someone could help