Getting new hard drive

pizza4554

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
Quick Question. I'm getting a new hard drive, and I need to know how to move every file (Os and all) to it from my old hard drive so that the new one can take over from where the old one left off, as if it was the old one. I'm fine with using a Windows built in utility, a Linux boot disk utility, a downloaded program, whatever, as long as it gets the same effect. I need everything to be on the new one. That's all.

Solution
Hi
You need cloning software.
Acronis true image is good and if you are getting a WD drive you can download it free from their site.
I am a fan of macrium reflect but any software program that images your hard drive or clones partitions can do it. You can even use the default tools in windows - the image backup function and then restore it once you've installed windows n the new hard drive.

pizza4554

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014

1. The first drive is 750 (give or take) gigabytes and the new one is 1 terabyte. It's currently only holding about 263 Gigabytes (the upgrade's more of an age and performance issue)

2. If by that you mean OS, it's Windows 7 Professional, and I only installed it October 2014

If you are buying a drive that is larger than 2TB - I would suggest buying a smaller drive for the OS (I use SSDs for the OS, 128GB drives are priced right now), and using the larger than 2TB drives for the secondary drives.

Most operating systems, including Windows have issues booting to a GPT disk (larger than 2TB partition). In building my servers and desktop PC's - I try to get a 100GB - 500GB drive (SSD preferred - 500GB HDD is $60, there are a lot of 128GB SSDs for $70-80). Samsung has a migration tool to transfer the data to make life easier, although with the exception of cloning a drive, the migration doesn't always go 100% - especially on the operating system optimizations.

pizza4554

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014

Acronis was the way to go. Worked quickly and flawlessly. Thanks so much!