Question Getting shocked by headphones

Icy07

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
So 3 nights ago, I heard a sudden build up of static noise in my headphones, and then shortly there after shocked myself on the cable. I am using a SteelSeries arctis 3 which has one cable that has a single headphone jack, that plugs into another cable splitting it into a microphone and headphone channel. That little connection has a tiny bit of exposed metal, and I shocked myself touching that. This then happened 15 minutes later, and again the next night, however it did not happen last night. I have never experienced something like this before, and this headset has worked perfectly for 2 and a half years now. I am worried that there is something wrong with my pc, and that it has started using my headphones and me as a ground, or that maybe its just my headset getting old. I would appreciate some advice on how to go about figuring out the problem, as well as any recommendations for a good wireless headset.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
So 3 nights ago, I heard a sudden build up of static noise in my headphones, and then shortly there after shocked myself on the cable. I am using a SteelSeries arctis 3 which has one cable that has a single headphone jack, that plugs into another cable splitting it into a microphone and headphone channel. That little connection has a tiny bit of exposed metal, and I shocked myself touching that. This then happened 15 minutes later, and again the next night, however it did not happen last night. I have never experienced something like this before, and this headset has worked perfectly for 2 and a half years now. I am worried that there is something wrong with my pc, and that it has started using my headphones and me as a ground, or that maybe its just my headset getting old. I would appreciate some advice on how to go about figuring out the problem, as well as any recommendations for a good wireless headset.
Possibly static electricity, but this is more of a problem in dry winter weather than in summer. Try touching a bare metal part of your case before using your headphones. This may give you a clue as to where to look next.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Possibly static electricity, but this is more of a problem in dry winter weather than in summer. Try touching a bare metal part of your case before using your headphones. This may give you a clue as to where to look next.
I just reread your explanation. It does sound like static electricity to me.

Icy07

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
Not yet, I haven't been shocked by the cable since 2 days ago either. It always seemed to happen after I hear a sudden crackling in my headset for a couple seconds.