Getting through a router with PCAnywhere

terster

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi all,

Can someone help me figure out how to get it so that I can connect, via PCAnywhere, from a PC outside of my network to a PC on my network, through my router?

If I remove the router... then it's easy to connect. But, once i put the router back into the picture, PCAnywhere can't connect.

I have a small home Windows network. My workstations are Windows XP Pro with sp2. I have a DLINK DI704P router. I use DHCP via my server to assign IP addresses to my workstations (however, the lease is 30 days and thus doesn't expire). I have a DSL connection with a dynamic IP, however it's easy to get the external IP address. My version of PCAnywhere is 11.0.

I have tried to follow the directions from both Symantec as well as for Dlink, in opening up the ports and setting them up for forwarding to the local workstation, however, I can't seem to get PCAnywhere to even see the local PC, when i try to come in from the outside.

On my internal network, I use PCAnywhere on all workstions. They are all set up with auto logins, so i know my problem is not authentication, it's that i just can't get through my router and get to the local workstation.

Again, I have spent hours and hours trying to follow the instructions from both Symantec as well as Dlink and i'm just not having much luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can resolve this?

I really appreciate it. Thanks.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Are you certain you have TCP port 5631 and UDP port 5632 open and forwarded to your computer? I think there is another set of ports used by older versions, you might as well open those too. I believe it is TCP port 65301 and UDP port 22.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>