Question Ghaphic card turning off in PCIEx16 but not on PCIE x8

Aug 28, 2019
I own a Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h and a GTX960 2gb, these have always worked fine together but some days ago my screen have just gone black, so I restarted the PC and everything was just okay again, but everytime I try to run a game the screen turns black again, I downloaded Logitech Gaming Software so I can watch the graphic card temperature (using my phone) even when my screen goes black, I noticed that everything in my graphic card (fan speed, memory used, everything) go to ZERO when the screen goes black, so I have tryed another graphic card in the same PCIEx16 slot and I got the same problem, when I plug the cards to my PCIEx8 slot it work's just fine but I have lost a LOT of performace, so can I convert my PCIEx8 to x16 or is there any way to fix my x16?

Edit: Sorry about my bad english, it's not my native language :c

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboards of that type will not have bothered to hook up the wires to the PCIe 8x slot, so it will always be 8x at best. Even using it re-routes half the lanes from the x16 slot, so they both become 8x.

My first suggestion would be to see if there is dust or something in the slot. Get a can of compressed air and blow it out. Then check for any signs of physical damage. You may be able to spot a pin out of place and you can wiggle back into place with a set of tweezers or a tiny screw driver.

If that doesn't seem to be it, take the CPU out and re-install it. Could have lost contact with a pin in there that goes to the PCIe port.

After that, might start considering replacing the CPU/Motherboard/RAM.