[SOLVED] Ghost Recon: Wildlands crashing every time

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
The game crashes to black screen, so I have to restart the pc.
I've been looking everywhere, and no one has come up with anything that's actually worked.
With the exception of someone saying to install on your C: drive, as that made it possible to open up the game, as that was something I couldn't do previously as well.
But after that, the game crashes after 2-15 minutes after getting into the world.
I've tried a lot of snake oil, and obviously it hasn't worked, some are:
  • Verify game files
  • Disable all in-game overlays
  • Reinstall game
  • Reinstall Ubisoft Connect
  • Turn of cloud sync
  • Reinstall drivers
  • Repair Easy Anti-Cheat
  • Admin mode

I tried playing on the lowest setting and it didn't crash for 25 minutes, so I gradually upped the setting to medium etc, and it crashed on very high.
Might've just been a belated crash, I don't know
Playing on low isn't a way to play.

GPU temp is 60c~ and CPU is 70c~
I also get pretty bad fps in the game, 40-50 fps compared to 90-100 on max setting in Breakpoint.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ OC 8 GB
RAM: HyperX Predator 3000mhz 2x8GB CL15
MB: ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
PSU: Corsair CX650M

It's maddening, I really like the game.
And since they royally f'd Breakpoint, I don't really wanna play that any more than I've already have.

Solution
I'd guess, from having played it extensively on a non OS partition on an SSD, and a separate NVMe drive with no issues, that there are either software conflicts, or a hardware issue. Even if the non C location drive you install it to has too many files on it, that could cause problems, let alone it not functioning properly.

Now don't panic and start uninstalling everything else on the drive the game is installed on, just make sure you have at least 15% of the actual drive space free. This applies to HDDs, SSDs, and NVMe SSDs.

When one searches for info on games black screen launching, and finds nothing, even on sites like PCGamingWIki, which is an aggregate of a database of user experiences, you have to start looking on your side...
I'd guess, from having played it extensively on a non OS partition on an SSD, and a separate NVMe drive with no issues, that there are either software conflicts, or a hardware issue. Even if the non C location drive you install it to has too many files on it, that could cause problems, let alone it not functioning properly.

Now don't panic and start uninstalling everything else on the drive the game is installed on, just make sure you have at least 15% of the actual drive space free. This applies to HDDs, SSDs, and NVMe SSDs.

When one searches for info on games black screen launching, and finds nothing, even on sites like PCGamingWIki, which is an aggregate of a database of user experiences, you have to start looking on your side.

Spec wise I kinda cringed at your hardware, especially the GPU, which was widely known for driver issues that caused crashes and black screens for a good 7 months. Word is, AMD finally got a clue and fixed the problem, but I can't be too sure every game runs fine on it afterward. The 5700 XT is also a bit of a power hog, with minimum 600 watt, but recommended 700 watt PSU requirements. Corsair has some good PSUs, but a lot of their CX models are just average grade.

Do you happen to have a friend whom can loan you a GPU for a day or so to test? To do this, I recommend a THOROUGH removal of the 5700 XT drivers before testing. DDU in safe mode works pretty well. Of course, obviously you'll need to install the appropriate drivers for the borrowed GPU you're testing as well. However, depending on your method of driver installation, you may just need to reinstall with the method described.

BTW, I agree with you on Breakpoint, they should have never turned GR into a Division type game, and it was purely to try to make more money off it.

Last edited:
Solution

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

When one searches for info on games black screen launching, and finds nothing, even on sites like PCGamingWIki, which is an aggregate of a database of user experiences, you have to start looking on your side.

BTW, I agree with you on Breakpoint, they should have never turned GR into a Division type game, and it was purely to try to make more money off it.

Spec wise I kinda cringed at your hardware, especially the GPU, which was widely known for driver issues that caused crashes and black screens for a good 7 months. Word is, AMD finally got a clue and fixed the problem, but I can't be too sure every game runs fine on it afterward.

Do you happen to have a friend whom can loan you a GPU for a day or so to test? To do this, I recommend a THOROUGH removal of the 5700 XT drivers before testing. DDU in safe mode works pretty well.
I haven't had any problems with my 5700xt, but I have heard of the issues some have had.
I've also never really had any issues on any other games.

I previously had it installed on my M.2, and it wouldn't even start.

Cringing at my hardware? Haha.
I think it's kinda pretty decent.
The only issue, really, is the PSU, which is bronze.

I don't have the option of trying a different gpu, though I have thought of saying f' it and go buy a completely new pc, 6900xt and 5800x, but it's a bit expensive, might wait till the new series launches.

I haven't had any problems with my 5700xt, but I have heard of the issues some have had.
I've also never really had any issues on any other games.

I previously had it installed on my M.2, and it wouldn't even start.

Cringing at my hardware? Haha.
I think it's kinda pretty decent.
The only issue, really, is the PSU, which is bronze.

I don't have the option of trying a different gpu, though I have thought of saying f' it and go buy a completely new pc, 6900xt and 5800x, but it's a bit expensive, might wait till the new series launches.
Quite honestly, right now is not a good time to even buy a GPU. It would also take probably over $3000 just to buy a prebuilt with a 6900XT.

I maintain as well, that just because other games work fine on the 5700, doesn't mean ALL will, especially when the problem you're having is the exact common problem when it was going through driver problems.

You also never verified what method of reinstall you're using for the GPU drivers. I'm trying to help here, but you're leaving some holes in the conversation, which can't help but raise doubt and skepticism.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Quite honestly, right now is not a good time to even buy a GPU. It would also take probably over $3000 just to buy a prebuilt with a 6900XT.

I maintain as well, that just because other games work fine on the 5700, doesn't mean ALL will, especially when the problem you're having is the exact common problem when it was going through driver problems.

You also never verified what method of reinstall you're using for the GPU drivers. I'm trying to help here, but you're leaving some holes in the conversation, which can't help but raise doubt and skepticism.
I'm well aware of the gpu shortage and I would never buy a prebuilt pc. I can buy a 6900xt now in Norway for 1800$, so not cheap.
I've used ddu a month ago, but lately I've just used the normal radeon software factory reset.
Doubts and scepticism? Are we debating something? :D

Doubts and scepticism? Are we debating something? :D
If you can understand the basics of PCs, as you seem to, surely you must understand when one offers suggestions to help, and only SOME are responded to, it raises doubts about the procedures that were followed.

When someone asks for this kind of help, I don't assume anything, because I have no idea how much experience or expertise one has until they say so, get it?

Last edited:

GreyCatz

Distinguished
The game crashes to black screen, so I have to restart the pc.
I've been looking everywhere, and no one has come up with anything that's actually worked.
With the exception of someone saying to install on your C: drive, as that made it possible to open up the game, as that was something I couldn't do previously as well.
But after that, the game crashes after 2-15 minutes after getting into the world.
I've tried a lot of snake oil, and obviously it hasn't worked, some are:
  • Verify game files
  • Disable all in-game overlays
  • Reinstall game
  • Reinstall Ubisoft Connect
  • Turn of cloud sync
  • Reinstall drivers
  • Repair Easy Anti-Cheat
  • Admin mode
I tried playing on the lowest setting and it didn't crash for 25 minutes, so I gradually upped the setting to medium etc, and it crashed on very high.
Might've just been a belated crash, I don't know
Playing on low isn't a way to play.

GPU temp is 60c~ and CPU is 70c~
I also get pretty bad fps in the game, 40-50 fps compared to 90-100 on max setting in Breakpoint.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ OC 8 GB
RAM: HyperX Predator 3000mhz 2x8GB CL15
MB: ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming
PSU: Corsair CX650M

It's maddening, I really like the game.
And since they royally f'd Breakpoint, I don't really wanna play that any more than I've already have.

Sorry to hear about your problems with this fine game - still one of the best Ubisoft have released in years. A few questions:

1. Are you experiencing similar problems with other games or is it only GRW?

2. Are you sure you're running at full clock-speed on your RAM?

I used to play GRW on a 4GB GTX 1050TI with no problems and at graphics levels between High and Ultra (I forget the exact level names).

Cheers.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Sorry to hear about your problems with this fine game - still one of the best Ubisoft have released in years. A few questions:

1. Are you experiencing similar problems with other games or is it only GRW?

2. Are you sure you're running at full clock-speed on your RAM?

I used to play GRW on a 4GB GTX 1050TI with no problems and at graphics levels between High and Ultra (I forget the exact level names).

Cheers.
Hey!
  1. I haven't had any similar issues with any other games.
  2. I checked my bios and cpu-z and they both say it's at 3000mhz, or 1500 for cpu-z
I've also recently stress tested both my gpu and cpu, and both were fine.

I've already bought a new psu though, as I have a suspicion that it might be the 6 year old corsair 650m bronze causing problems.
Got the corsair 750w gold, planning on getting a pc upgrade soon anyway.