Walkthrough Ghostrunner Video Walkthrough

I thought GRID 2019 and Monster Energy Supercross The Official Videogame 3 were challenging enough on Hard mode, but this game has me sweating it out a lot just on the Normal mode.

I actually bought Ghostrunner just yesterday though, so I'm pretty new to it. I don't really know why I thought it would be a good break from the stress of having to hit every rhythm and whoop section near perfect at MESX 3's Nashville track to contend with the AI, but despite dying literally hundreds of times on first play through so far, the game is quite addicting. I tend to play it a bit skittish at times, especially where there's a few shielded guys and I have to get to their shield battery before killing them.

Interestingly enough though I've found you can at times sneak in and get a foe that isn't shielded, then safely destroy the battery, retreat to a safe place, then sneak in and take out one of the others where there's cover nearby to avoid getting killed right after, and activate a button that reveals a way to the next area, leaving one foe behind. At times you can avoid even groups of foes because there are often multiple platforming paths, and the right one can often take you straight to a button to activate a way to proceed.

Make no mistake about it though, Ghostrunner is designed for hardcore players, and I'm not even sure I can get through it. It's entirely made as an OHK (One Hit Kill) game, meaning you can always kill with one slash of your katana sword, but any single projectile or fall out of the intended play area will also kill you. It's a mix of frustration and nirvana once you get a flow going. I rarely can manage sustaining a flow, but it's fun and challenging in a puzzle-like way via the platforming.

The Ghostrunner you play as is like a Ninja Batman, and his grapple device is quite nice. If you don't like challenging wall running though, it may not be for you.

Reactions: Bassman999
Here's level 5, Breathe In. This was captured via level select, after playing through once prior. I managed to succumb to less than half as many deaths as the first time, but still well over 100. This level has a new enemy that leaps at great distance to do a lethal ground smash. They're easy enough to dodge one on one at distance, but when mixed with other enemies, can be tough to deal with. This level also introduces Cybervoid Uplinks, which boost your speed, effectively slowing time, and huge vent fans. You basically use the uplinks to get through these fans, and there's a few scattered elsewhere that help greatly with getting through enemies.

I picked up some new skills and boosts as well that extend uplink time, help reflect projectiles easier, and aid aiming. The Deflect Reflect skill reminds me a bit of bouncing blaster shots back at enemies in Jedi games, but it's far from automatic here, you need to time it manually.

Here's Level 6, Road to Amida, which introduces enemies that have a half circle shield that always stays in front of them as they rotate. Another new thing in this chapter is being able to hack quickly rotating objects in order to jump through them, or use their surfaces for platforming. For some reason they do not assign a skill, ability, or even name to this. Whisper just mentions you can do it.

It also introduces the Shuriken, and they can be used on electrical junction boxes that can turn off electrical hazards and open doors. Frustratingly, the very first Shuriken puzzle is by far the hardest. It involves 3 panels to wall run, the latter 2 of which require turning off electricity arcing through them.
The trick to getting past these panels is to hit the junction boxes on either side of the wall with a shuriken one right after the other so they stay off long enough to get through them. The other is to use sensory boost after the first 2 panels at the height of your jump, then dash to get to the next one. Otherwise you cannot get enough height and distance. The game gives you literally no onscreen hints for the technique required on these panels, despite no prior wall run panels being anywhere near as hard. As a result I failed the jump numerous times.
Lastly, at the end of the level, it gives you the Tempest skill. Tempest is sort of like a Force Push, which can kill groups of enemies, or send their projectiles back at them if timed right. This level started out feeling very difficult. I soon found though if you use the many grapple points available, you can make the shield enemies look geriatric. With Tempest now in my arsenal, I expect them to throw a much tougher enemy scenario at me in the coming levels.

Last edited:
Here's Level 7 Run-Up. This is by far the shortest and easiest level so far, which I wasn't expecting. The play time shown at the end was under 16 min, even WITH all the deaths, but after editing, it came out to just under 3.5 min. I was expecting to use the Tempest ability a lot, which was acquired at the end of the previous level, but found it harder to get used to than Deflect Reflect, which sends projectiles back at enemies via striking them with the sword. This requires precise aiming though.

This level has some tough platforming, in particular a segment that combines grappling, sensory boost jumps over rotating grinding cylinders, and precisely timed wall run jumps back and forth where laser panels are placed in between the safe ones. It also introduces mechs, which I was expecting. These are semi large bipeds, that shoot a wide beam. Timing is required to slow mo dodge them sideways, or slide underneath them.

A big part of what makes this level easy is most human enemies only have single shot pistols, except for a couple whom have assault rifles. As well, even the mechs once you get the hang of timing slides and dodges to avoid their attack, are relatively easy. Thus the only real challenge here is that tough platform sequence.

And here we have Level 8, The Gatekeeper, which is the first official boss fight. This is a huge security device with lasers and fire rings. It takes precise timing to grapple between the lasers and Sensory Boost wall run and jump along the perimeter wall panels to avoid fire. So this level is relatively short and has no human enemies at all.

Last edited:
OK, One More Level! Seriously though, it's Level 9, Dharma City. Saying One More Level seemed appropriate though, because it's not just the name of the dev team that made the game, I actually felt like this was the last level I wanted to play due to the fatal error crash bug many have reported hitting me for the first time. It's also the first level I've noticed signs in the game with the dev name on them. This level crashed anywhere from every 3 to 10 min, but oddly enough, the first time through it when I was seeing what it was like where I just kept respawning after deaths, it didn't crash once. It's not an extremely hard level, just one I felt I could finally do nonstop with no deaths. This level introduces a rail system you can hang from and zip along, and powerups that allow you to do super jumps.

So I finally after a couple days managed to pull off a no death run, but wasn't quite satisfied with the 4 min 10 sec time. I then experimented a bit with a less cautious approach, evading enemies where I could, and taking out only those in my path, or ones that needed to be cleared to open a door. The result was a MUCH better time of 3:42:70. Another goal was to finish with a full energy meter, as that's what enables you to use skills like Blink when you need them. I honestly did not know if a full meter even carries over to the next level, because mine is generally depleted at the end of a level. Turns out it doesn't, and while I could feel short changed by that, levels generally start with a few easy kills you can refill it with, so it's no big deal.

Other than a combination of evasion and kills to speed things up, tactics wise I stuck to Deflect Reflect to bounce projectiles back at enemies, and used Blink very minimally. While I CAN tell you also using Reflect Boost, which makes it far easier to deflect projectiles back at enemies, does in fact make it a lot easier, I also died several times attempting to deflect a closer range shot from that drone at the final battle. There's definitely a learning curve for adjusting from long to short range shots timing wise.

Last edited:
This is a level called Echoes, and I'm happy to report I had no crashing problems like I did in the previous level Dharma City. That was quite a relief, because Echoes is at least 5 times as long, and introduces Ninjas and Snipers. They're not a problem one on one, but when put in the mix with other enemies, you really have to think your way through and tread carefully.

Sometimes I play through a fair chunk of this level and the Ninjas won't say a word, other times they say things I don't understand. One almost sounded like he wanted to make Sushi out of me. I said no thank you, and proceeded to cut him in half. Snipers need be snuck up on carefully. Once they zero in on you you're dead. You can only be exposed for like 2 secs.

Aside from that, this level can be difficult at first to find your way. The platforming isn't too hard though, mainly just the navigating. I didn't even consider trying to achieve a no death run on this one, or even a non stop capture. I've read they've already greenlighted a sequel to this game, and I hope they consider revamping the checkpoint system.

My problem with checkpoints isn't that there's not enough of them, there are too many, and what bothers me most, is you can advance to the next checkpoint segment even if you die getting there. The problem this causes is your capture gets chopped up because of it. Either that or endure many hours until you get to know the level well enough to survive longer.

Despite dying many times, the end result came out looking pretty seamless. I included a handful of death respawns to avoid confusing seams though, in some cases where I advanced to another segment while dying. I'd like their next game to have an option to choose frequent, infrequent, or normal checkpoints, or at least make you advance to another without dying.

This level is called Faster. It's also a prelude to the next boss in the game, as you're basically chasing after it the whole level. This level also features some pretty challenging platforming, far more so than the enemies. So it's not unsurprising I could not come close to a no death attempt, and there are a couple edits showing deaths to maintain seamlessness.

If I'm honest, I could try this level again, as I'm sure I'd remember the cautions and cover required in the 2 spots showing deaths by enemies, but it wouldn't change the fact that I actually died most of the time via the platforming. The main thing that makes the platforming difficult is your movement atop the train is slowed to show the effects of the wind on you.

At any rate, all things considered, I suppose the results were par for me so far. I'm also pretty sure the next level will be a ton easier, maybe even another no death run. BTW, if you listen closely to the dialog at 1:06, The Architect explains how the hero figures in the game came to be called Ghostrunners.

Last edited:
And here's that next boss level that I was referring to in the last video's description. This level is called In Her Own Image. I was kind of surprised that this level is so easy. In fact it's been by far the easiest level in the game so far. There's only the boss to battle, and the only other place you can really die is in the tutorial for the weapon you get as a reward for beating it.

This boss, called HEL, has a female appearance, but is very much a robot. You only need parry 4 of her attack patterns, then slash her once at the end of it while she's stunned. You basically counter when her sword glows. This took me a few attempts to get it timed right, but once I did, it was pretty easy. The tutorial for using her Surge weapon actually proved to be harder.

The final test of her Surge attack is what proved to be difficult. It's because you need to jump off a jump pad across a chasm, while lining up 3 enemies at a high point to the side and kill them all at once. The problem is, the lock-on for the weapon is a bit buggy on that test, and the jump pad on the other side of the chasm when hitting it accidentally (since it's near where you land from the 1st one) can at times send you only half way back, falling to your death.

This quirky jump pad chasm death happened to me at least 3 times, each time after beating the boss quite handily. On the attempt shown in this video, it took 3 times to get that triple Surge shot, but it's a no death run and I had a perfect result against HEL, hitting every counter. It's also my fastest level so far at 2:36;22 completion time. The only other trick with her is making sure you notice which direction she goes after you land an attack. You don't want to be stuck looking around for where her Surge attacks are coming from, as they can kill you instantly.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay. I took some time off to play Days Gone during a nasty heat wave we had where I live, and it turned into more than that. I am currently finishing up my 3rd play through of it on Survival II, so I should be back at Ghostrunner after I post up some more vids of GRID 2019 and Monster Energy Supercross 3. Thanks for your patience. ;)

OK, back with the next level after a much needed summer hiatus. This one's called The Forbidden Zone, and introduces turrets.

This level is not too hard, so it was tempting to try for another no death run. On this run I made it a little over 5:30 into it, but got killed by the very last enemy, which would have left only one tough environmental hazard to get through had I not died. Numerous attempts to better it weren't producing the results I got, which was an 11 death run at 9:36, and about 7:30 after editing out the deaths.

This level mostly has turrets, which only take a bit of patience to get past, as once you so much as touch their field of aim lasers, you're instantly killed. It does have some narrow corridor sections that can be frustrating until you work out a system where you can avoid unintentionally clinging to walls when Sensory Boost dodging in slow mo. I simply chose to Deflect Reflect the shot back at the first enemy at the end of a corridor vs getting hung up on the walls (1:53), and jump forward for the 3rd enemy, then dodge a little ways right, then left, staying away from walls, until he shot (2:11).

This level was a bit buggy, as every 10th or so attempt at a no death run, the Sluggers (melee guys that leap a long ways then smash you or the ground near you for an insta kill), would not attack. Unfortunately at times it happened in the middle of a good run like this one (2:56). I missed a jump to a rail at 3:24, but at least I got all the enemies in that area without dying, and it's the first area in this level with shield guys.

One of the reasons I wanted to keep trying for a better run, is I think I might be able to clear the 1st of the 2 turrets in the big room at 4:18, without waiting. It's very close to being in the ideal position as you enter the room for you to be hidden from it's lasers if you start the wall run immediately.

In the next area that starts at 4:52, I got killed by the 2nd big mech, and the first ninja after jumping up to the high catwalk, at least once each, after loading the checkpoint that starts at the ramp at 4:18, following my death by aforementioned last enemy. That last enemy is a shield guy in a room with 2 other shield guys, and the time I died there the slow mo bugged a bit and kept going, which also made the controls hard to use.

What was most frustrating though, is the place I died the most times was the electrical hazard in the narrow corridor at 5:46. At times those are like the worst enemies in the game. That said, I managed the whole run without using any insta kill abilities, and Surge, the newly acquired one from the end of the last level, even works through shields. Maybe I should have used it.

Last edited:
I have the next level done now, it's called Reign in Hell. This level introduces two new enemies, Wrecks, and Shifters, or Phase Shifters when not abbreviated. Wrecks are small, fast crawling creatures that self destruct when near you. At first these seemed difficult, but it's really not too hard to evade them. Shifters are enhanced humans as far as I can tell, whom can teleport away if you get near them. They also have a pretty powerful attack similar to the last boss I fought called HEL, which is also similar to the Surge ability you get after defeating HEL. They are not too difficult to take on one at a time, but there are two very tough battles at the end where there are more than one of them and other enemies mixed in.

This level also introduces the Overlord ability, which basically makes any AI you hit it with fight for you for a brief time. This comes in handy for the end of the level, but the problem is, I found it very hard to use it on both end battles without dying, as it's slow to recharge. I was relatively satisfied with my clear time and number of times dying, but what was aggravating is I counted 5 deaths that were silly mistakes platforming or not paying attention to my Overlord attack wearing off on one enemy.

I purposely kept in all footage this time, including the deaths, to show what it takes to refill the ability meter. I thought this was necessary since Overlord in particular is so helpful on this level.

There are now only 3 levels left in the game.

Last edited:
Here's the next level, which is called Things You Wouldn't Believe. This level introduces a new enemy called the Splitter. Splitters are basically similar to the first enemies in the game, Keys, as they are equipped with just single shot pistols. The difference is they can split themselves into 5 identical forms. They are relatively easy to deal with though, even in groups of two. This is for two reasons, only the original form of the 5 actually shoots harmful projectiles at you, the rest just shoot ones that affect your vision a bit if hit by them. Also, it's easy to see which is the original form merely by using Sensory Boost, as the other 4 will be the only ones highlighted. Once the original is killed, all others vanish.

This level has an interesting layout, with many optional paths through it, including lots of grapple points placed high on wall run panels. After completing, compressing, and uploading this run, I noticed in watching someone's speedrun I missed an opportunity for a possible way to more easily and quickly kill all the enemies in the battle at the 1:45 mark, via a shuriken cache high on the far wall I was unaware of. This could have possibly avoided at least two deaths.

I also made a mistake at the 3:00 min mark where after respawning from a death where I had just prior filled my Overload meter via a kill, did not notice that after respawning, the game took away my full meter, yet replenished it after dying yet again, this time with no kill achieved. That seemed strange to me, and the 2nd death happened because I was expecting my Overlord to work (you can hear me trying to use it).

I also had the game seriously glitch on me on a previous run attempt at the start of the toughest battle, which is shown here at the 7:08 mark. I was stuck not being able to look up or down much. Fortunately, this run I aced that battled first try with no deaths for the first time, and no glitch.

This level has hard platforming sections, some obvious, some not so obvious. Thus many of my deaths were silly mistakes, or not being precise enough where there were more of those nasty electrified wall run panels like near the end of The Forbidden Zone two levels ago. I finished with just under 17:41 clear time and 34 deaths, which I was reluctantly OK with given how hard it felt. I again included any deaths following kills that filled my ability meter, and edited out the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Alright, here's the penultimate level called The Summit. It's a boss fight against Mara, and I'm delighted to say my 3rd no death run of the game, and likely the last given how tough the platforming is in the final level.

It starts with an easy enough intro through a building with labs where Whisper tells the Ghostrunner his workshop where our hero was created is located. A little over a minute later we grapple down to a circular arena where Mara waits.

Mara is part machine, as she has many big tentacles attached to her which she attacks with. Her attacks are, a sweep, an overhead slash, a jab, an attack where she stabs the ground in front of her then the tentacle pokes up from the floor at you, and an Area of Effect attack where she electrifies a large part of the floor.

There are 3 phases to this fight, so she has just 3 large health bars. Oddly enough, the last phase is the easiest, with only jab attacks, the 2nd a bit harder, with sweeps and slashes, and the 1st the toughest. The reason the1st is the toughest is it's hard to predict what kind of attack she'll do, and if you're caught in the middle of her large AOE attack, which is easiest escaped by looking sideways and dashing out of it, you can get stuck not seeing what kind of attack she'll do next.

You generally jump and sensory boost dodge many of these attacks, but sweeps you must time just a jump well. Thus I died many times on earlier runs jumping too soon after escaping her AOE. The goal to get through this fight expediently is to at the end of phase 1 and 2, and any time in the 3rd phase, stand in front of a working control panel, then dodge as she jabs at you. This causes her to get a tentacle stuck in it, which allows you to cut it off.

I counted just 3 unsuccessful control panel lures, so for me, this was a near perfect run. I finished with a clear time of 4:16:91, and as mentioned, with no deaths.

Last edited:
Now we arrive at the final level, called The Monster. This is a fairly short level, but can feel much longer than it is. There's no combat to speak of, just a lot of tough platforming. It's also unique in the sense that for the first time, we see tough platforming in the virtual world. This can also mess a bit with your perception and timing, due to slight distortion and panels that can dissolve. It takes pretty good timing and precision, and you're tasked to stay at it almost non stop the whole level.

I can't say my finish time and death toll was amazing, but not disastrous either. Knowing how tough it was, I was really only hoping for something under 30 deaths. Since it's definitely harder than the last level I suffered deaths on though, where I had 34, the 38 I wound up with here seemed about right. The finish time was also similar to that level, at just over 17.5 min. It also felt plenty adequate since I only made two full level attempts. I was also OK with how it looked edited.

The first attempt took a bit over an hour of play time, and resulted in well over 200 deaths. Most of the deaths by far were the first spot with the red orbs you have to dodge, where you have to use floating platforms that move laterally both directions. The second run I made it through that spot pretty well, with only 2 deaths by the checkpoint after. Most of the deaths on the 2nd run seemed to come at the shorter red orb sections near the end, where the space is pretty confined.

This was a fun game, and I look forward to the sequel they have already greenlit. You get a message after the credits saying Hardcore mode is unlocked. I may give it a go for a few levels, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. If I can manage to beat any levels on that mode, I'll post them though. Thanks to those of you whom took the time to watch these videos. I had no idea it would end up getting so many views. In fact it far exceeds the amount I've gotten on my other two video walkthroughs.

TRENDING THREADS