[SOLVED] Gigabit Powerline Adapters?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Got a quick question before I spend any money. I have gigabit internet and it's insanely fast, but I was wondering if there's any powerline adapters that IN THE REAL WORLD can actually carry full gigabit? Have powerline adapters advanced enough to see 900 - 1000 mbps over powerlines? Thanks guys!

Solution
Got a quick question before I spend any money. I have gigabit internet and it's insanely fast, but I was wondering if there's any powerline adapters that IN THE REAL WORLD can actually carry full gigabit? Have powerline adapters advanced enough to see 900 - 1000 mbps over powerlines? Thanks guys!
No. MoCA, yes. Powerline no. 400Mbit is a good day for powerline.

kanewolf

Titan
No. MoCA, yes. Powerline no. 400Mbit is a good day for powerline.

Solution

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Alright SHOOT. I have some MoCa adapters lying around not being used, but I was trying to get a hardwired connection across the same room lol so that doesn't work. HMM...... Last resort? A LOOOOONG ethernet cable maybe. Dirty fix but sure fire. 👀

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
A Cat5e ethernet cable is better than any of the other options.
Alright, here's another off the wall idea. I'm using a laptop in this case that has an old wifi card that only supports 2.4Ghz..... Are laptop wifi cards all proprietary? Could I in theory change the wifi card to something better that can support my 5Ghz band?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright, here's another off the wall idea. I'm using a laptop in this case that has an old wifi card that only supports 2.4Ghz..... Are laptop wifi cards all proprietary? Could I in theory change the wifi card to something better that can support my 5Ghz band?
You could get a USB WiFi device.

But, in terms of performance...

1. Cat5e
  2. MOCA
  3. Powerline
  4. 28.....Wifi

Reactions: SamirD

Yes, wifi cards have a few standards. You would need to open the bottom of your laptop and find the board with the wifi wires plugged into it. Check and see what kind of card it has and buy a new one. They're super cheap and much better than a USB wifi device which has very small antennae and therefore limited range. It's better to use the antennae built into your laptop which run along the sides of your screen.

I'd recommend only buying an Intel based wifi card, because drivers are built into windows and they seem to be the most compatible.

Reactions: SamirD

USAFRet

Titan
a USB wifi device which has very small antennae and therefore limited range
ummmm....

d7c76jw.png

Moca 2.0 bonded will hit full gigabit--I use it myself at one of my sites. Even Moca 2.0 non-bonded hits 500Mbps. Powerlines will be 300-400Mbs at best, but are the easiest to set up and will give you good ping times and responsiveness.
I get the distinctive feeling a laptop with only 2.4 Ghz wireless is not a gigabit capable computer, maybe I am wrong.
This is a very important point. I have some older laptops that only have a built-in 10/100 nic. While they could max out the 100Mb connection in iperf, when I added a cardbus gigabit nic, the max any of them see is around 300Mbps. Now that being said, if a laptop generally has a gigabit nic, it will be capable of full gigabit. Because otherwise manufacturers will have wanted to save the .02 cent that a 100Mb nic would have added to the bottom line.