[SOLVED] Gigabit Switch making PC only 100 Mbit/s

Aug 25, 2021
Hey guys, I bought a Gigabit LS105G TP-Link switch for my home network, but after connecting my PC to it, my ISP Router says it's 100Mbit/s, even though the switch, and both cables used (ISP Router to Switch / Switch to PC) are 1000Mbit/s.
I've checked the Ethernet connection on the PC, it says 1000Mbit/s, but as said above, the ISP Router says 100Mbit/s. Any ideas?

Solution
No, the adapter was just laying around my house
The path with the switch would be the same thing, but with the switch in place of the adapter
All that coupler is saying, IMO, is that the ethernet port on the PC is less sensitive to a bad cable than the switch is.
Is that cable you have to use the switch/coupler on an in-wall cable?
It could be that moving the cable around when connecting the coupler vs the switch is enough to make all 8 wires have connection. It only takes 1 of the 8 wires not making connection for your connection to drop to 100Mbit.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys, I bought a Gigabit LS105G TP-Link switch for my home network, but after connecting my PC to it, my ISP Router says it's 100Mbit/s, even though the switch, and both cables used (ISP Router to Switch / Switch to PC) are 1000Mbit/s.
I've checked the Ethernet connection on the PC, it says 1000Mbit/s, but as said above, the ISP Router says 100Mbit/s. Any ideas?
99.99% of the time it is a cable problem. Get a brand new cat5e round, 100% copper cable.

Reactions: SamirD
Aug 25, 2021
The path with the switch would be the same thing, but with the switch in place of the adapter

kanewolf

Titan
All that coupler is saying, IMO, is that the ethernet port on the PC is less sensitive to a bad cable than the switch is.
Is that cable you have to use the switch/coupler on an in-wall cable?
It could be that moving the cable around when connecting the coupler vs the switch is enough to make all 8 wires have connection. It only takes 1 of the 8 wires not making connection for your connection to drop to 100Mbit.

Solution