[SOLVED] Gigabyte 1660 super - What is this noise?

ergumenus

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2013
I recently got a Gigabyte 1660 super oc dual fan and I am having this very strange noise happening I cant figure out what it is.

The card's fan's rarely even kick on because the temps stay low but every so often they will kick on briefly for just a second. When this happens there is this noise, the best I could describe it is like scraping a twig across one of those screens that go outside of windows. It's almost like a scraping/electrical buzzing. Any idea's what this could be at all? Ive looked at various posts and videos but havent found anything like this sound.

Solution
That is called coil whine. It is the power delivery of the card making those noises, or your power supply. They vibrate at very high frequency and can set up sympathetic vibrations in other things that can be audible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is called coil whine. It is the power delivery of the card making those noises, or your power supply. They vibrate at very high frequency and can set up sympathetic vibrations in other things that can be audible.

Solution