Gigabyte 7870 OC vs MSI 7870 Hawk

AJBrew

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hey, just a quick question, I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 560 to a 7870 soon. At first I thought about getting this MSI 7870 HAWK, but after looking at reviews it seems that users are having problems with crashes and the BSOD.

MSI 7870 Hawk

Then I saw this Gigabyte 7870 with the same core clock speed, for 30$ less, and has better reviews with few comments about crashing.

Gigabyte 7870 OC

I am not opposed to getting the MSI Hawk especially because it is military grade and has many great features, but if it has loads of issues I would like to steer clear. I do plan to overclock this card.

What are youur opinions? Do you think it's just a coincidence that many people had issues, or their computers couldn't handle the card, etc? Or should I just get the Gigabyte?

minidruid

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Dont go completly in on a pc part based on newegg reviews becuase a lot of people forgot that satisfied customers that have no problem with an item are less likely to write a review about it. I know the only time ive written a review was when i had a mobo doa.

That said i prefer MSI cards over gigabyte, but thats just personal prefrence. Going by pure detail wise the Gigabyte card is a better deal. Have you also considered just buying another GTX 560 for SLI?

AJBrew

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I only have a 650w power supply so I don't believe SLI is an option right now. Judging by the newegg power supply calculator it says it'd be around 626w, then account for all my fans and USB stuff and I'd probably be over wattage. What do you think? I know you can't really rely on it.

Can I ask reasons why you prefer MSI over Gigabyte? I'm relatively new to this PC hardware thing.

prototype18

Distinguished
Well i would choose gigabyte .

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/06/19/gigabyte_radeon_hd_7870_oc_video_card_review/4

This is an old review (no new drivers) but still its a great card. Runs cooler and its 10$-.

Its at the same clock as MSI .

About Gtx 560 Ti SLI they need 325W on peak. So u are good with that PSU. Still i recommend a single powerful GPU than SLI.

Gtx 560 Ti are great (I use 1 myself) but that 7870 is great.

Good Luck !

AJBrew

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

It is just a regular 560, but yeah I think I'd rather not do SLI or Crossfire.

Reasons for choosing the Gigabyte aside from cooling?

I prefer Gigabyte. Both companies have decent Quality control and features but you get better cooling on the Gigabyte one (almost 33% cooler irrc)

I have used the Gigabyte 7850 OC and my friend as well and no issues so far.

The Gigabyte one also usually has more spectacular sales as well

minidruid

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

I dont buy gigabyte just becuase i had one of their cards go bad and the customer service while trying to do a RMA was pretty poor. That was years ago and only one experience though so i wouldnt let it greatly affect your decision.