Mar 3, 2020
Hello guys. I am interested in buying an RX 5700 XT card, but I have a question about the compatibility with my current motherboard.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-990fxa-UD3 R5. Is it compatible with the RX 5700 card? My CPU is the AMD FX-8370 and my PSU is 750w

I'm more worried about the PCIe 4.0 version of the GPU. My motherboard has a PCIe v2.0.

Solution
Hello guys. I am interested in buying an RX 5700 XT card, but I have a question about the compatibility with my current motherboard.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-990fxa-UD3 R5. Is it compatible with the RX 5700 card? My CPU is the AMD FX-8370 and my PSU is 750w

I'm more worried about the PCIe 4.0 version of the GPU. My motherboard has a PCIe v2.0.

The thing that stops some AMD cards working on older motheboards is the newer AMD graphics cards don't support legacy bios. That isn't a problem for that motheboard as it's got UEFI bios support (I would just make sure you update to the latest bios version before getting the GPU).

That said- an FX 8370 will hold an RX 5700 XT back quite badly. It might be worth it if you plan on...

The thing that stops some AMD cards working on older motheboards is the newer AMD graphics cards don't support legacy bios. That isn't a problem for that motheboard as it's got UEFI bios support (I would just make sure you update to the latest bios version before getting the GPU).

That said- an FX 8370 will hold an RX 5700 XT back quite badly. It might be worth it if you plan on upgrading the motherboard / cpu at a later date, if you plan on keeping the setup for a while though you may as well save a bit of money and get a lower end gpu as you'll wind up with similar performance anyway (e.g. something like an RX 5500 or RX 580 would both be better options to pair with the FX).

Solution
Mar 3, 2020

That said- an FX 8370 will hold an RX 5700 XT back quite badly. It might be worth it if you plan on upgrading the motherboard / cpu at a later date, if you plan on keeping the setup for a while though you may as well save a bit of money and get a lower end gpu as you'll wind up with similar performance anyway (e.g. something like an RX 5500 or RX 580 would both be better options to pair with the FX).

Thank you for the fast reply. What is the best budget CPU and motherboard you’d recommend for the 5700 GPU, if I decide to upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for the fast reply. What is the best budget CPU and motherboard you’d recommend for the 5700 GPU, if I decide to upgrade?

Thanks in advance

It somewhat depends on what games you intend to play and at what settings. If you are looking to game at ultra settings or at higher resolution (e.g. 1440p) then you could get away a Ryzen 5 1600 (look out for the newer 'af' version if possible) and pair that with either a B450 AM4 motherboard.

The R5 1600 might hold a 5700 series card back a bit in high frame rate games (e.g. if you want to play competitive shooters like CS:GO and such at 100+ fps). The newer Ryzen 5 3600 is fast enough not to hold a 5700 / XT back in any situation.

On the Intel side of things you are really looking at an i5 9400f or better, although given you get 2x the threads on Ryzen (and how good the upgrade path is on AM4) I'd personally take a Ryzen 5 over an i5 cpu for similar money.

Latest posts