[SOLVED] Gigabyte B450M DS3H CMOS and power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2020
My motherboard is giving me major issues as of recently. BIOS configurations keep resetting, and it won’t power off unless I switch my PSU off.

This all started after I installed a LED strip kit.

I got them mounted in my case, and plugged them into the RGB Fusion header as instructed. Powered my system on, and the LEDs wouldn’t turn blue. Tried configuring it with the RGB Fusion application, still couldn’t get blue.

I turned my PC off and double checked that the header wasn’t flipped around the wrong way. Turned it back on, and the strips shorted somewhere. I unplugged my PC, removed the strips, and powered it back on.

All seemed well, until I noticed the orange onboard LED was back on. I restarted my PC, went to the BIOS configuration, and it gave me the “BIOS Reset” notification.

When I finally got into the BIOS, my CPU temp readout is always at -1.0°c. I shrugged it off and disabled the LED again, saved my changes, and rebooted. LED was on again. The BIOS will save, then instantly reset.

I reflashed the latest BIOS to no avail. Same issue.

Unplugged my PC, jumped the CMOS reset. Didn’t do a thing.

I got back into Windows, looked around on some forums but couldn’t find anyone having the same issue. I shut down through windows, only for my PC to just restart. Tried it again, it just kept restarting.

I tried holding down the power button, but the power LED and onboard LED just flashes. It won’t turn off unless I switch off my PSU.

The board is less than a week old. I just built this PC. Attachment is a video demonstrating the power issue.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Gigabyte GTX 1660ti
Gigabyte B450M D3SH
Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 16gb 3200mhz
Corsair TX850M

Last edited:
Solution
I just realized it could be that your motherboard is short-circuiting.
Check if your motherboard is not accidently touching the metal case at unwanted locations.
Also it's possible that some screw might be stuck between the motherboard and casing causing the short-circuit.
Anyhow, check for short-circuit issues since the problem you discribe sounds like that is the problem.
Also check if there is a jumper on your CMOS. If so remove it !
Also yhe power/reset button might be stuck or mailfunctioning causing it to act like it was continuously pressed.
Incorrect mounted RAM modules can also be the cause.
Take out bios battery and leave it without power cable for 15 min or even better. Hold power button for 10 sec, put power back & boot without cmos battery. I don't think you fused something in control, it just need deep discharge to go back to normal.

try to boot to windows and stop without checking bios,
then do the same after your bios modification please,
come back with results.

IF you are very unlucky, you zapped bios and always run the factory one OR killed the EEROM. check numbers you're getting, try to slow down ram for testing.

Reactions: aquadenta
Feb 18, 2020
Take out bios battery and leave it without power cable for 15 min or even better. Hold power button for 10 sec, put power back & boot without cmos battery. I don't think you fused something in control, it just need deep discharge to go back to normal.

try to boot to windows and stop without checking bios,
then do the same after your bios modification please,
come back with results.

IF you are very unlucky, you zapped bios and always run the factory one OR killed the EEROM. check numbers you're getting, try to slow down ram for testing.
Thanks for the reply.

I did as instructed, unplugged the PC and removed the battery. Took advantage of having my case open and took around 30ish minutes routing some cables a bit better. Left it unplugged, held the power button down for 10 seconds, and plugged it in.

It’s working fine as it was before, boots windows as per usual. Still having the same issues though. BIOS is still resetting, and it still won’t turn off, it’ll only restart.

I unplugged it again for about an hour, then booted and reflashed my BIOS. Same problem, once again.

Ended up just covering the onboard LED with some electrical tape for the moment.

I’d be lying if I said I don’t feel at as loss here. 😅

Attachment demonstrating power issue through Windows.

Mar 9, 2020
Somewhere on youtube i have seen a guy having similar issues.
He had solved it by downgrading the BIOS to stock version then upgraded it again. (this had to be done with a USB-stick from within the BIOS itself)
Hopefully it can help you as well.

Mar 9, 2020
I just realized it could be that your motherboard is short-circuiting.
Check if your motherboard is not accidently touching the metal case at unwanted locations.
Also it's possible that some screw might be stuck between the motherboard and casing causing the short-circuit.
Anyhow, check for short-circuit issues since the problem you discribe sounds like that is the problem.
Also check if there is a jumper on your CMOS. If so remove it !
Also yhe power/reset button might be stuck or mailfunctioning causing it to act like it was continuously pressed.
Incorrect mounted RAM modules can also be the cause.

Reactions: nasserk
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.