Question Gigabyte B760M Gaming X DDR4 - new board, won't boot/no video out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2023
Hi all -

As the title states, I'm constructing a new PC, and the mentioned board refuses to POST or display any output. The system fan and PSU fan spin up, but it never shows the bios splash screen.

I've tried:

* both HDMI and DP out of the main board,

* both HDMI and DP out of a separate GPU (Gigabyte 3060 12GB)

* with/without CPU (I5-13500),

* with/without RAM

* v1.0 and v11a BIOS versions (QFlash behaves as expected)

Here's the weird thing - this is not the first time this has happened. I have two other PCs in the room which I've built using the same brand/model main board, and one of these showed this exact same behavior. The weird part is that that one seemed to cure itself and is now chugging along as if nothing happened. I know there must have been something I did to get it operational, but [language redacted] if I know what that something was.

This board has yet to "cure itself". Has anyone here experienced this symptom, and if so, do you know what it was that got it back to operating normally?

Thanks in advance -

T

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Might want to check the pins on the socket for any bent or broken pins. Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Jul 31, 2023
Sure, here it is:
CPU: as stated in the OP, either none or I5-13500 (no letter designation) (tested in prior build, this one is good)
CPU cooler: stock resting on the lid / none permanently affixed yet (when permanent it will be a ThermalRight Silent Assassin)
Motherboard: as stated in the title, Gigabyte B760M Gaming X DDR4 (BIOS version F1, upgraded to F11a via QFlash)
RAM: either none or 16GB Crucial "sport DDR4" 2400 (pulled from working system) (slots A2/B2)
SSD/HDD: none
GPU: as stated in OP, either none, or Gigabyte 3060 12GB
PSU: Gigabyte P650B (been using this as a bench PSU for a while) (age about 6 months)
Chassis: none
Monitor: either a 10" generic HDMI, or an Aorus FV43U using DP or HDMI

This really is scratching my brain pan. Everything points to "this should be working". Is there a very lengthy startup on first run, perhaps?

T

Jul 31, 2023
Oh, holy [removed for your protection]. This thing just woke up and decided to play nice. I was powering it up to confirm the fans were spinning and the [expletive deleted] popped into its bios mode.

If it weren't 10am, I'd go drop half a bottle of bourbon. This is really frustrating. It works now, but I have no idea why it took so many boots or so much time to decide it wanted to. Garrrrrr.

Thanks for the assist, regardless.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.