Gigabyte Fits a GTX Titan With WindForce 3X Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If you really wanted to push your titan as much as possible on a more long-term basis, you'd use water-cooling. I know some people are scared off by the concept so I guess this could appeal to them, but this is probably targeting a very niche market(even smaller than titan's target market).

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]If you really wanted to push your titan as much as possible on a more long-term basis, you'd use water-cooling..[/citation]

You would be using liquid helium.

G

[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]You would be using liquid helium.[/citation]
I said long term, unless you're willing to shell out for a chiller and the power it takes to run one, liquid helium won't work long term.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.

unknown9122

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]I dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.[/citation]
I was about to say haha.

jasonhappel

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]I dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.[/citation]

Seem's like articles here are full of this stuff lately...

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I've had 2 windforce cards in the past, gtx 470's to be exact. They are junk. Blades are flimsy and do break, the whole card flexes. If you run them in sli right next to each other the blades make noise due to turbulence and the cards get HOT! This is also when the blades tend to break. Current high end motherboards have the slots separate but not all mobos do. They run fairly cool and quiet separated or single gpu rigs. Not a quality build scheme though.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]I said long term, unless you're willing to shell out for a chiller and the power it takes to run one, liquid helium won't work long term.[/citation]

Considering the rate at which the water cooler can decapitate heat is still dependents on the size of the radiators and the the air flow provided by the fans, the lower temperatures realized is simply due to the higher heat capacity of water. The required amount of energy to raise a water cooling unit is much greater than that of a standard air cooler.

The rate of heat transfer in the water cooler still relies on the the same variables as the air cooler: difference between ambient temperature and surface temperature (delta T), surface area, and the heat transfer coefficient. A water cooler has the capacity to increase the surface area and the delta T(through increased air flow or simply, due to having greater heat capacity, having a lower temperature at the radiator). The heat transfer coefficient should be equivalent assuming that the air cooler heat sink and the radiator are constructed of the same material.

However, if you truly want increase the heat transfer rate, it would be better to submerse the radiator in a pool of water(with a current) than simply attaching a fan to transfer the heat to the atmosphere.

shashindk

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Why even bother with a custom cooler like that? ppl who shelf out that amount of money will proabbly also go for water cooled solution for the card.

royalcrown

Distinguished

I am under the impression that the stock cooler is good. If asus did like the did with their DC2 coolers the titan would take up FOUR SLOTS and have dual 140s...lol

This is just the beginning of custom Titan's and Titan LE's we are going to see in the coming months. If only one or two would be affordable, then I could get excited. When's that GTX 780 coming out again?

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]oh so FTW or classified sounds so much better[/citation]
No FTW and others more idiotic. This is why I don't buy Geforce or AMD card with those stupid names.

Status
Not open for further replies.