Gigabyte g41m-combo max DDR3 size?

panos1550

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi everyone,

This one 's got me a little confused...On the manual of the mobo i bought (GA-G41M-Combo (rev. 1.3)) it says max DDR3 --> 4GB

On the Gigabyte's US site it also says max DDR3 --> 4GB (http://us.test.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3512&ProductName=GA-G41M-Combo)

On the Gigabyte's site specs though, it says max DDR3 --> 8GB! (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505#sp)

(Both specs on the sites are for rev 1.3)

I 've already installed a 4GB module of DDR3 and works fine, but i would like to buy another one to reach 8GB...the question is, will the mobo recognize the second module or will it not? I mean, has anyone really used this board with 8GB of DDR3?

Thanks in advance

panos1550

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
That's what i think too o1die, this mix-up between the various sites/manuals is a little worrying though so i thought I'd be 100% sure before buying the new module...One reasonable explanation that i can give for this, is that earlier BIOS versions of the board didn't support a total of 8GB of DDR3, and that was later fixed with an update(?) ..after all, the manual in my box is dated May 24, 2010 which is only 3 days after the first Bios update had been released..

Anyway, i' ve also contacted Gigabyte via e-mail and hope to hear from them soon

Thanx for your time o1die, any other replies from people who have tested this are very welcome!

panos1550

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So, here's the official answer to my e-mail by the Gigabyte support team:

Answer - 1051103

"Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, it is recommended to visit our new global official websit for your reference. Inside this website, the correct specification of this motherboard is supporting upto DDR3 8GB for system memory.

Please click HERE for the new official website.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY"

Still, they don't mention anything about the manual as well as other Gigabyte's sites saying 4GB of DDR3....guess i 'll go with my own explanation that earlier BIOS versions only supported 4GB...Anyway, i 'll stick to their answer and go buy myself another identical stick

Thanks for your answers guys