Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard - Hard drive/IDE channel issue

Resshin_9

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hello everyone,

I recently noticed that my computer boot up is extremely slow. The computer will get stuck at the MB logo screen for about twoo minutes and after it POST the computer will sit in the black screen for 7 minutes then the windows loading screen show up. I looked into the BIOS setting and for some unknown reason I have the same hard drives on two separate IDE channels?

I currently have 3 hard drives and two of them appear on two separate IDE channels. The Master hard drives on IDE Channel 0 Master and IDE Channel 4 Master and a spare hard drive on IDE Channel 1 Master and IDE Channel 4 Slave. I went ahead and disabled the two duplicated IDE Channels (IDE Channel 4 Master and Slave) and computer is back to normal speed now..

I am just curious what could have caused this to happen? Everything was fine when I first put this computer together about 2 years ago and I don't even know when the problem started as I always leave my computer on..

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
A corrrupted BIOS can do that. It may have become corrupted for a number of reasons; most likely is voltage irregularities from the PSU.
You should change all settngs in BIOS to default, unplug, pull battery, clear CMOS by jumper (see your manual if not sure), put it back together, connect only the OS hD and reboot.
If is happens again, download the latest BIOS and reflash per your manual.
If it happens after that, it is possible that either the MB or PSU are going bad.

Resshin_9

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks for the advise. I will attempt that when I am upgrading my computer. Right now I am just trying to hold out for as long as I can :)

Husky17

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I realize that this is an old post but I wanted to comment all the same. I've been seeing what I believe to be the same issue with my 990FXA-UD3 board. I have 2 SSDs that I keep my operating systems on and a 1TB HDD for profiles and personal folders. Everything works fine for about 4 or 5 months and then suddenly the motherboard starts to hang on the boot screen after POST for longer than normal. The operating system boots up and warns that it can not find and mount a disk. Watching the boot up screen after POST shows that the motherboard is not finding the 1TB HDD at all. Diving into the BIOS config menus doesn't help as no mention of the HDD can be found anywhere.

What I do to fix it, and it has worked without fail every time, is power off the system and unseat and reseat the SATA cables on the Motherboard. (I assume that its the cable from the HDD that needs reseating, but I have a rats nest and normally useat and reseat all the cables at the Motherboard). When I power back up, the computer POSTs and reads the HDD again, everything boots up normally and as fast as it should.

This has happened to me about 3 times now in the course of 1 year. I have upgraded BIOS once earlier in the computers life, but am not sure if that was before or after the first occurance of this situation. Has anyone seen this recently with other newer GIGABYTE motherboards? It might be hard to tell if its fixed indefinitely since my temporary solution appears to fix it for months before it resurfaces, but has anyone seemingly fixed it indefinitely?