Hey folks,

I'm running out of ideas here..

Gigabyte Gaming K7 X370,
2 x 8GB Ripjaws,
RX 580,
EVGA 850W Modular PSU,
Red Devil RX580 8GB,
2 4TB HDD, 2 240GB SSD.

First of all, system is running flawlessly since December, 2017.
No hardware change since.
Few weeks ago I wanted to boot from my old HDD, and noticed, that I can't get into the BIOS, neither to the BOOT Setting
As the motherboard posts, hitting del - or F12 for boot settings - causes "entering bios" or "entering boot settings" , and then nothing happens, hard reset required
Once, I left it there for an hour, to see, if it goes to the BIOS. It didn't.

Windows boots perfectly, no issues with stability, or anything else for that matter.

Also, I can't get into BIOS through the Windows App either.
Reinstalled Windows 10, no change.

So far I tried all these, many times:

Cleared CMOS with the jumper many times. (leaving power cord, then unpluged power cord)
Changed CMOS Battery twice (once I even left pc unplugged for over 24 hours)
Disconnected all hardware, except VGA, used one RAM.
Updated BIOS via @bios (first to F25, then F30, then F42)
Switched to backup bios via Jumper.
Switched to SB from MB via Jumper.

After all these, same issue.
Ideas?

Edit: just checked with CPU-Z, BIOS runs in default.
Means 1066 MHZ memory, no XMP profile. :(

Try this - after each step, you try to start and access bios - each step may hav multiple steps.
  • Disconnect any usb devices not essential for the computer to work, including mouse (only keyboard should be pluged in).
  • Try connecting keyboard to different usb ports.
  • Disconnect all storage devices.
  • Disconnect any non-essential PCI devices.

Nov 6, 2019
Try this - after each step, you try to start and access bios - each step may hav multiple steps.
  • Disconnect any usb devices not essential for the computer to work, including mouse (only keyboard should be pluged in).
  • Try connecting keyboard to different usb ports.
  • Disconnect all storage devices.
  • Disconnect any non-essential PCI devices.
Grobe, thanks for your post. Unfortunately none of those worked. What I noticed - I should’ve noticed this earlier - that there isn’t any “Aorus” logo when I start up the pc - tried both Bios - but a Standard American Megatrends logo, which means, that there’s something going on with the UEFI - I think.

What I did after, is disconnected everything. No usb devices. Changed battery again, cleared CMOS by jumper. no hard drives connected, but the one SSD, that I wiped during the fresh install from a USB stick windows 10 Pro. Strange enough, installer was VGA resolution. Once install went through, boot was successful. No EFI Partition on ssd, only MBR. When I tried to convert it to GPT, pc didn’t boot.
Fresh install again, PC work flawlessly, again, MBR Partition only and stilll AM logo and no BIOS access.
Also doing a bios update via @bios - in windows - seems to go fine, and I see the new bios version showing up at boot screen.
Which is still a traditional AM instead of the Aorus logo. Still no access to BIOS or Boot menu.
Tried to do a Bios update via usb stick but getting an error message: “can’t read bios”
Again, I never touched the backup bios, but same logo and issue when I try booting form that one.

Nov 6, 2019
I managed to get my BIOS (UEFI) back. Unplugged the power cord, removed ALL RAMS, CPU, VGA, all USB devices and anything else connected, and battery for 24 hours.
Installed them all back, started the PC without ANY storage drive, mouse, network cable or USB device attached.
Voila, My UEFI BIOS is back!
Now, i updated both BIOS to the latest, stable version, F42d.
My memory - FINALLY - runs almost like it should, XMP profile at 3400MHZ.
Passed memstest86 and Prime95, both over 24hrs.
My new - and strange - issue is, that every time I try to change the Multiplier for the CPU - even to 3.5 from default 3.4 - PC restarts twice, and then post with defaults. Memory back to 2133, CPU at 3.4.
Sometimes won"t even post, I need to unplug power cable and remove battery, or reset CMOS by jumper.

Tried adding more juice to CPU (1.4, which is more than enough, especially at 3.5) RAM, and SOC . Same results .
Also tried with default - 2133 RAM speed - no change.
I used to be able to run this CPU at 3.8, 1.36 Core and XMP3200, prime95 and memtest86 stable, before all this mess started. I also tried with one memory module, each time installed in different banks .
I may missing something trivial here. Any help / idea would be greatly appreciated.

Ryzen 1700+
X370 Gaming K7 Gigabyte F42D
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3466C16D-16GVK
(Installed in 2 and 4, as it should according to the manual)

Last edited: