Question Gigabyte GC-Ramdisk i-Ram won't initialise on Windows XP ?

Nov 22, 2023
Hello All!

I have an old (2005) Windows XP based machine that I use to play games of that period. Recently, I was given a 4GB Gigabyte GC-Ramdisk PCI card for free, and I thought I'd see if it made a difference in my XP system.

I have installed it. The status lights on the card show that the card is working properly. The BIOS of the XP machine identifies the ramdisk and gives what look like accurate data. When I go into Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, the Ramdisk shows up on the screen. If you look at the properties of the drive, all drivers, etc are present and correct. However, when I try to initialise the RAMdisk, it fails. It seems like everything else is in place, but it just falters at the last step.

A couple of hours Googling have bought me no luck as far as trying to find a troubleshooting guide or such, so I'm just seeing if anyone here has experience with making these things work. The manual makes it look very straightforward, but I seem to have found the exception to the rule 😄

If I haven't provided enough information, please ley me know and I will produce said information.

Many thanks!