InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I bought a gigabyte GTX 660 TI (GV-N66TOC-2) and almost every test online shows the graphics card running around 69C max.

In my computer dell XPS 8500, it's running around 79-81C at max.
But at that temperature, I can smell a bit of plastic smell. I don't know if anything is burning (nothing that I can noticeably see) or if it's just new graphics card smell. (I've had this card for almost a month).

*Should this card be running that hot?Should there be that plastic-ish smell while running the graphics card at max*

Thanks in advance!!

You are using a Dell while they are DIY built machines with much better airflow, you need to manually control the fan speed on your 660 ti and remove the side panel on your machine then the temps should be down in the 60-70s.

On the side I suggest that you rma your 660 ti if it has been allowed to run at those temps for an extended amount of time to get that electronics smells. Also the psu in the dell might need to be checked and possible replaced if it is the 460w model.

Google Search: Del XPS 8500 psu

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

I tried setting the fan to 100% and it still reaches a temp of 80C.
I opened the side of the case and it only dropped the temp 2-3C at max. :pfff:

Dell insisted that the stock power supply is good for an output of 225 watts (just for the graphic card) with the two 6 pin connectors. :cry:

---
Dell also said that a graphics card, other than the one dell provided, will void my warranty for a power supply replacement (should anything happen to it :fou: )

srafig4

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I notice there are not too much intake airflow, which might result higher temp on GPU.
Do you consider to install additional fans on side or front panel?
besides, you have to make sure the BIOS is the latest version.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Yea your psu im not to crazy about trying to run a gtx 660 TI

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
@srafig4: I don't know where or how to install a side fan for the XPS 8500. I don't even believe it's possible :'(

@determinologyz: Ugh. I really don't want to upgrade my power supply. Reconnecting everything seems like such a pain :(
Dell representatives are pathetic. They said the PSU could "easily" handle the GTX 660 TI.

Dell have a habit of underrating their PSU's so a 460w Dell PSU is probably closer to a 500w PSU.

But either way mouse you have to admit that the quality of internal components within the dell, hp, and gateway retail store bought computer branded computers is very poor at best.

Would a power supply's lack of power create that heat though? I would be more suspect of the case design from Dell. Store bought computers aren't designed with the dedicated graphic card crowd in mind.

Actually Dell PC's are pretty robust, always have been. The heat may be due to the way that the case is constructed, a lot of Dell PC's that I've worked on have had a ducting arrangement for the CPU HSF and no side or front vents to speak of so the graphic card may not be getting as much cool air as it would if it were in an aftermarket case.

I see. The Dells I've seen have had cheap motherboards and cheap power supplies. You wont find a Seasonic power supply within a Dell case.

And the way you describe a dell cooling situation it sounds like a bad bad idea to squeeze in something like a 660Ti in. probably choking the card. You could take off the side panel and your temps would probably drop.

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
So I just bought the same GTX 660 TI(GV-N66TOC-2) and it's running at a nice 72 C MAX

BUT there still is a faint plastic-ish smell. Is that from the graphics card(maybe because it's new?) The significantly less strong than my other graphics card. That's for sure.

--
Also, any ideas on what I should do with this graphics card? I have the box for both graphics card and I ordered it from Amazon. Does Amazon track the serial number of what it ships out to people? I just want to return the old one to Amazon. (only 40 days old :'( )

If you want to you can contact them and try. I would imagine that its typically 30 days to return it. Your card shouldn't emit a smell. However, your card being choked by your case's poor air flow design could smoother your card and cause a melting smell.

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Ugh. I contacted Amazon and they said that they won't accept the first card because it has been past 30 days.

What to do, what to do?! If I return the old card with the old box, does Amazon track the serial number of which box has been sent out? Or would Amazon even care if I sent the old graphics card that doesn't match the box? :whistle:

Why me?!?! :pfff:

Well you are still covered through the RMA of your card. Your post is a little confusing it makes it sound like you have 2 cards. I would test the if its the case method putting opening up your case leaving it open and turning your house fan up as far at it will go and see if your video card is being choked.

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

heheh I do have 2 graphics cards ^_^! I just ordered the same card from Amazon (30 day free return and no restocking fee).
I just wanted to make sure the graphics card is the problem for my first card and not my case/power supply.

My original card: 79-81C with the worst plastic-ish smell possible.
The card that I just got: a lovely 71-72C with a very very faint plastic-ish smell.

I did contact Gigabyte, hopefully they respond soon. Just a bummer that Amazon won't accept my first card :heink:

Oh god I got in contact with them once and I felt like I was calling a run down Asian restaurant oh dear! Yea I hope things look of for you. I know someone who did something like you did Only he had a 670 and he bought another 670 and a 7970 to see what he liked more.

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I never done a RMA with a graphics card.
Do I have to send it in (I have to pay shipping?) and they ship one back to me? Do you know how long it takes? Any advise?

Well when you get in contact with them you could describe the issue and that you would like to RMA the card. You would more then likely need to pay for shipping but with how expensive your card is I wouldn't just keep it. Just be sure that when you get your new card that you really take a close look at temps because I'm suspect of the POS case that Dell provided you.

Medina2883

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I've had this same problem with my gtx 660 ti.(mine is pny brand) The only remedy that worked for me was to download the Evga precision software. they have a setting called k-boost by toggling this setting first on then off, with in a minute or so my GPU starts to idle at low temps (aproxand 36-39) and throttles properly to about 70 ish. took me a while to figure this out I do hope this work around helps others. :bounce: