Gigabyte MA785GPMT vs Asus M4A785TD-M

finleyb

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hoping someone may be familar with these two motherboards (Gigabyte MA785GPMT-UD2H and Asus M4A785TD-M EVO) and can advise regarding which board is better equipped to provide a low energy consumption, quiet HTPC solution that involves a mix of analog and digital devices.

New system build using the AMD X4 805 CPU and existing older model HDTV. Use - movies / music, internet and some photo / video editing (Pinnacle Studio and Coral Paint Shop Pro). Music will be played through older high end analog speakers / 5 channel receiver; the display will be a SXRD 46" HDTV that offers video interface options including composite , component , S-video and HDMI.

Reading through the specifications for the Gigabyte MA-785GPMT and the Asus M4A785TD-M, appears the Asus motherboard provides a wider array of connection options and that DVI and HDMI may be used simultaneously. This assumption is based on the specs at the Gigabyte site which read: "The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter." "Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported." Given my novice status, not sure how big an issue this is. Other than this one item, the Gigabyte and Asus boards appear similar in features.

Seeking advise on the board that will offer the better solution based the intended use / mix of older and newer technologies.

The OS will be Win XP 64 bit until I migrate to Win 7. The HDD, PSU, Blu-Ray player, etc. will all be purchased and can be modified based upon the motherboard selected. Purchase of the motherboard and additional components will be within the next week. The system will be on most of the time if not 24X7.

Look forward to your feedback.

finleyb

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you Proximon and zipzoomflyhigh for the advise, been leaning towards the Gigabyte as well.

Quick follow up question, is it worth the extra money for the side port or is there a discrete video card that runs quiet that will provide the necessary power for my application? Should I consider the MA785GMT-UD2H instead? (All the specs I have read indicate the video card fan can be loud which is one of the factors in trying to go with onboard video)
Thanks again

finleyb

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will be posting my build for evaluation and final validation before purchase. Appreciate any additional input. The case selected is the Cool Master Elite 360, based on the fact it seemed to be of reasonable quality, provides the features needed, meets budget constraints and will fit in my entertainment center. Thanks again.