Gigabyte R9 390 *BIG FPS ISSUE*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Tonight I replaced my old "AMD Radeon 7800 Series" with a "GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390 GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD". My old card was giving me around 110-140 fps in CS:GO, and having a 144hz monitor and being a competitive player, I need to hold above 144 and preferably have as high as possible. My new card is giving me 60-90 fps, which I can't believe is normal. My old card had 2 GB VRAM and I think around 500 MHz clock, the new one has 8 GB VRAM and 1000 MHz clock. In my AMD Overdrive program the clock speed sits at 300 MHz until I do something that requires more performance, then it goes up to usually 1000, while MSI Afterburner just shows it at 1025 MHz. I just feel like there's no way this is normal performance, it's such a better card. It feels like there has to be something I'm doing wrong that I don't know about. Help is much appreciated, I've been waiting a couple months now to get a new graphics card to be able to have the fps I need to play my best and now getting a new, much better card, and it's much worse performance... it doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks in advance.

My PC specs(that I know):
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD 8320 8 core 3.5 GHz
Graphics card: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390 GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

The thing is ...the card is definitely not performing how it should and you're going on about ...don't worry about it 60 is enough, yada yada....that's not the point. His card should be getting a whole lot more than that and he wants to figure it out not be told just play at 60 that's plenty....cmon man.

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Unfortunately your CS:GO experience is just not enough info to work from and Minecraft is more of a CPU benchmark.

Download FRAPS
Enable the FPS overlay, run a few games.

If FPS is low across the board, uninstall all drivers and try the Beta Driver (or vice versa).

If FPS is not low across the board, or varies between both ends of the spectrum, you can try downloading a few benchmarking programs and seeing if you get comparable results to others.

If you get the same results as others, then it would appear to be a CS:GO issue. Try changing your game settings and see if there's something that's not playing nicely with your drivers or card.

If your results are noticeably lower (like your CS:GO FPS), it's most likely either a driver issue (Windows 10 and AMD have been having issues, not sure if they're completely resolved yet) or a hardware issue. (no shit right?)

If nothing fixes it, I would see what Gigabyte/NewEgg say and see if they will replace the card.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
Do what spaniard said...use 3dmark firestrike 1.1 and maybe unigine valley and post your results here. At least you can find out if your card is running similar to what it should compared to others and if we can't tell from those, you'll need to do some more testing and monitoring, posting screenshots of gpu temps, usage, core clocks and same for the cpu while it is running that game.

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark?_ga=1.102092481.1942878696.1446854623

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/unigine-valley-benchmark-download.html

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Yeah my friend (who recommended the card to me, it's hard to get in touch with him currently that's why I'm turning to forum boards) told me today to try the beta drivers. I have it downloaded I just don't have time to mess with it currently, gotta work on schoolwork this afternoon. If I have time I'm gonna try them tonight, if not, tomorrow. The last time I had fraps(it's been a long time) I had to pay to use anything with it I thought.. I'm guessing just fps counter is free. Game settings are fine, I have v-sync off, everything pretty much as low as they can be and still awful performance. CSGO is also apparently a more CPU intensive game, so hard to benchmark the card with that as well, but it's still really strange how the performance is being. I think I'm also about to completely uninstall/reinstall CS:GO just in case maybe that would help while I'm doing schoolwork in a bit, then try the beta drivers later. Praying it's an easy fix like derpy drivers or something like that, I would hate to have to go through newegg's return policies.

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

EXACTLY, especially on a support forum you would think if someone is replying they would know what they're talking about.. I do monitor temps and I don't think that's an issue, I know that the new card is a lot hotter than my old one, just by default. My power supply is a Xtreme Gear 600W ATX power supply, thats what shows on the label, not sure if you're asking for an actual product # or something sophisticated. I don't know myself, but my friend who's really good with PC hardware picked this card for me and said I wouldn't have to worry about power issues, that my psu is good enough for it. He said the same with hardware compatibility with my other components

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
A 600w PSU would theoretically be sufficient, but there are other factors to consider as well.

How long have you had that PSU? PSUs degrade over time so a 600w initially is not necessarily a 600w 3 years later.

The model # is so that we can find out how many amps it puts out over the +12v rail(s). It's probably enough, but can't confirm without a pic or model name/number.

If the PSU wasn't powerful enough for the new card, the card would throttle and you could see reduced performance.

rujoesmith

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I think the best thing to do would be download a free benchmarking software (furmark,unigine) and post the results. There is obviously a problem with something if you are getting those frame rates in csgo. The benchmark can help narrow down the problem.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

To start, follow the advice of the posters asking you to run a free benchmark like 3dmark or heaven, valley is good too.

run them and post back your score, then we can proceed from there

your power supply raises a lot of red flags, they are known system killers.

a 390 really needs a quality 650w minimum though

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
**UPDATE**
I tried the beta drivers last night, seems to be a success. The gameplay feels very smooth and I can hold 144+ in a 10 man server. I still drop below 144 in a 16 man server, but the game still feels pretty smooth and playable. Hopefully I can find a way to hold over 144 in those 16 man servers because that's basically aim practice, but I think what I have now I can at least deal with. If anyone has any other suggestions for fps boosts or something I could try with the 390, much appreciated.

I think your only best bet for high fps is for amd/ati to make good drivers that will give you the best fps experience your seeking which is hit and miss.
Otherwise there may not be much else to help it, despite what everyone else recommended, hope your enjoy your card.

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Not sure what that is or what it's for. Tbh it's giving me like only slightly better performance than my old card (Radeon 7850) in CS:GO, but I'm guessing at this point it's just because CS:GO is more important about CPU than GPU, because fallout 4 runs good at 60 fps and can go up to and hold above 100 fps on high/ultra settings, for as much as that's worth.

JBrightt_

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

The full name/model of it is Extreme Gear 600W ATX Power Supply. Model: XG-H600.

I couldn't find that anywhere on the internet looking it up so I'm assuming it's not even sold anymore :/

Solution