Question Gigabyte Z170 USB 3 issue with Windows 10 default driver

Saad Tariq

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
I am using Seagate external Drive(1TB) which is supported usb 3.0. My issue is from begining of Windows 10 that there was no such usb 3 drivers from Gigabyte and it was included in Windows 10 by default but this generic driver is causing issue that it run normally for few mins and then it disconnects automatically and then I need to replug it again to start the copying or moving files process. It only happen when I do copying or moving files from system to external drive, on idle it won't disconnect automatically. Drivers are not holding this device properly on default windows 10 usb drivers. If I plug it in usb 2 ports it works without any problem so my external drive is fine otherwise I would experience it over usb 2 port. I have also checked in other usb 3 ports but same issue. I remember it was fine in Windows 8-8.1 because usb 3 driver was provided by Gigabyte in drivers section so it was stable. Can anyone help how to fix this weird issue?

What VERSION of Windows 10 are you running, because I've built and serviced dozens of Z170 systems including my own Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 and have seen NO such issues. Not when it was new, not since then, and not now.

Perhaps you do not have a proper cable for USB 3.0 operation OR you do not have the external enclosure plugged in to power in which case it probably can't operate normally over USB 3.0 because of the additional power requirements.

What is the ACTUAL model of the motherboard you are working with?

Saad Tariq

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
What VERSION of Windows 10 are you running, because I've built and serviced dozens of Z170 systems including my own Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 and have seen NO such issues. Not when it was new, not since then, and not now.

Perhaps you do not have a proper cable for USB 3.0 operation OR you do not have the external enclosure plugged in to power in which case it probably can't operate normally over USB 3.0 because of the additional power requirements.

What is the ACTUAL model of the motherboard you are working with?

Sorry for the late reply, actually I have this model: https://www.gigabyte.com/pk/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-rev-10#ov
Well this drive was perfectly working fine till win8.1 and now in win10 from the start of this window till latest may update its still acting like same. When I plug it in usb3 port, windows show it is connected to usb 3.0 and it actually copy or move with usb3 speed but the issue is it interrupt in middle of copy or move and it breaks or disconnect the operation. I have also disabled any power saving sleeping options in its property. Same if I connect it in usb 2 with same cable it sustain usb 2 speed and performance without breaking the connection. Plus I have also tested this drive in my Dell 5580 at usb3 port and the performance is perfectly ok without breaking the connection so my cable and drive is fine and the issue is in my pc usb3 port and I still blame its windows10 driver.

Make sure you have THIS chipset driver installed, first.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29634/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=90591

Make sure you have THIS USB 3.0 driver installed.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...100-Series-and-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

And also, it would be a VERY good idea to make sure you have BIOS version F22F for your motherboard installed. If you do not, I would suggest that it is a very good idea to update to that BIOS version as I have seen some older versions of some of the Gigabyte chipsets have a few weird and erratic problems with the last couple of major Windows update versions.

Also, did you EVER do a CLEAN install of Windows 10 or are you running a copy of Windows 10 that has been upgraded from an older version of Windows such as 7, or 8.1, with no clean install of Windows 10 having been done after upgrading?

Saad Tariq

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
Make sure you have THIS chipset driver installed, first.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29634/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=90591

Make sure you have THIS USB 3.0 driver installed.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...100-Series-and-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

And also, it would be a VERY good idea to make sure you have BIOS version F22F for your motherboard installed. If you do not, I would suggest that it is a very good idea to update to that BIOS version as I have seen some older versions of some of the Gigabyte chipsets have a few weird and erratic problems with the last couple of major Windows update versions.

Also, did you EVER do a CLEAN install of Windows 10 or are you running a copy of Windows 10 that has been upgraded from an older version of Windows such as 7, or 8.1, with no clean install of Windows 10 having been done after upgrading?

Yes I always up-to date my drivers and bios and I have latest. I tried to install usb3 drivers given by you but its not installing as its designed for only win7 support. Also yes I have always cleaned install win10.

Bman2015

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015
Oh man, I am in the exact same position. I can't get USB 3.0 for the life of me. The USB ports change numbers when I look at them via USB View. I can take a SS USB 3.0 port, plug in a USB 3.0 device and it will shoot over to a different hub.

Everything is current from BIOS to USB drivers... hmm.
Benjamin