News Gigabyte Z490 Motherboards Are Seemingly Ready For PCIe 4.0

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
This is interesting considering the rumours we heard earlier that 10th gen was supposed to include PCIe4, but was dropped. But I thought the reasons were more motherboard related than CPU? That the CPU 10th gen could support it? Guess not, or maybe there is a relationship with the die size? (14nm vs 10ish)? Hence why AMD was able to implement already? (7nm).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...lans-then-nixes-pcie-40-support-on-comet-lake

Hilarious paying for PCIe 4.0 and you can't even use it.

No more hilarious than paying for it on an X570 and with increased cost of PCI-e 4.0 NVME , using it, and, other than CrystalDiskMark sequential nunmbers, not really seeing any real world differences...or, worse yet, it being slower by 1/4 second in timed storage transfers compared to a 970 EVO... :)

Makaveli

Splendid
No more hilarious than paying for it on an X570 and with increased cost of PCI-e 4.0 NVME , using it, and, other than CrystalDiskMark sequential nunmbers, not really seeing any real world differences...or, worse yet, it being slower by 1/4 second in timed storage transfers compared to a 970 EVO... :)

lmao speak for yourself boss.

An Asus Prime X570-P cost $149USD crazy expensive.

a PCIe 3 Samsung 970 Evo 1TB cost $212 USD

a PCIe 4 Corsair MP600 1TB cost $199 USD

And then you pretend to know what other people do on their systems laughable.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Only in this case one will probably need to pay a lot more than a X570.

There are benefits to PCI-E 4, though not from a SSD standpoint. For many years, I never feel that the supposedly fast SSDs are any faster. The response time had hit a snag since the old SATA3 SSDs, and manufacturers are just selling you a "faster" SSD based on sequential read/ write speed that will not benefit most people. The only SSD breakthrough is probably is the Micron 3D XPoint, though it cost significantly more and draws a lot of power.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
VideoCardz and BenchLife leak images of Gigabyte's Z490 motherboards with evidence that they support PCIe 4.0 devices.

Gigabyte Z490 Motherboards Are Seemingly Ready For PCIe 4.0 : Read more
I actually doubt PCIE4 will come with the incoming 10xxx series Intel chips. The motherboard makers are probably trying to make the board more future proof for the 11xxx series. Its the same when motherboard makers are able to provide PCIE4 features to X470 boards via a BIOS update.