[SOLVED] Gigabytes 1080 Ti smoked after PC turns on

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
Hi all,
A bad day for me to start. Last night, I was playing some graphics intensive games and turned my pc off. Then approx 12 hours later this morning, I turned my Mains On then hit power button on the case.
Within a fraction of second, the GPU had some tiny spark and I noticed smoke coming off the GPU. Then after 2 seconds the PC turned off it’s own and restarted again. This time smoke again.
I rushed to turn off the Mains and got my GPU out.
I plugged in the display to motherboards DP slot and turned on the PC with some foolish courage. It turned ON and PC is working fine w/o any flaws.
I loosened up the screws of GPU and found that some part of it has burned.
I was unable to attach image here, so posting a link to it.
I know my GPU is dead and my bad that it’s out of warranty period (it’s now 13 days the warranty expired).
What could be the possible reason for this?
Has this anything to do with PSU?

Key specs-
  • Asus ROG Strix Z370 Gaming E
  • Intel i7-8700k
  • G Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz 8GB x 2
  • Corsair HX750
  • Deepcool Castle 360 RGB v2
  • Gigabyte GeForce 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11 GB

Solution
memory module got burned, that could be still replaced from donor boards (if its only that), this can happen if voltage sent to module is somewhat incorrect
id suspect replacing your current PSU unit before getting new GPU/ repairing current one, even if its HX serie, it comes with 7 year warranty
memory module got burned, that could be still replaced from donor boards (if its only that), this can happen if voltage sent to module is somewhat incorrect
id suspect replacing your current PSU unit before getting new GPU/ repairing current one, even if its HX serie, it comes with 7 year warranty

Solution

Damjan_2

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Hi all,
A bad day for me to start. Last night, I was playing some graphics intensive games and turned my pc off. Then approx 12 hours later this morning, I turned my Mains On then hit power button on the case.
Within a fraction of second, the GPU had some tiny spark and I noticed smoke coming off the GPU. Then after 2 seconds the PC turned off it’s own and restarted again. This time smoke again.
I rushed to turn off the Mains and got my GPU out.
I plugged in the display to motherboards DP slot and turned on the PC with some foolish courage. It turned ON and PC is working fine w/o any flaws.
I loosened up the screws of GPU and found that some part of it has burned.
I was unable to attach image here, so posting a link to it.
I know my GPU is dead and my bad that it’s out of warranty period (it’s now 13 days the warranty expired).
What could be the possible reason for this?
Has this anything to do with PSU?

Key specs-
  • Asus ROG Strix Z370 Gaming E
  • Intel i7-8700k
  • G Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz 8GB x 2
  • Corsair HX750
  • Deepcool Castle 360 RGB v2
  • Gigabyte GeForce 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11 GB
Try contacting Gigabyte and seeing what they will say. They might take your card back for repair. As for the power supply, check it too. But I doubt it‘s the power supply since the motherboard also gets 12V to it. Unless it has multiple 12V rails, might be that one of the rails is broken and that one goes to the GPU. Check everything before turning on again with a GPU.

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
The VRM has burnt. I saw some diagrams and figured it out.
I did set the MULTIPLE +12V rather than SINGLE on my HX750.
Contacted Gigabyte, they said card can be repaired, but no warranty for ‘after repair work’ and cost is way more than normal repair work.
I have decided to take my PSU for RMA. I guess PSU is culprit here.
I’m baffled for my loss.

TRENDING THREADS