Given a new Graphics card

Jonnehz

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hey,

First off thanks for any help i receive as it is more than welcome being a novice on hardware!

I recent was given a hand-me-down graphics card from a friend in the form of a Nvidia 780GTX, I currently have a Radeon 6850. When I came to installing the new GFX I found that the 780 required an 8 pin adapter and a 6 pin adapter were as the 6850 only required a 6 pin from the power supply.

I noticed that in his PC his PSU provides all the required cables including x3 6 pins (of which two are converted to 8 pin via an adapter) were as my PSU only supplies one 6 pin and one 8 pin. The 8 pin in my computer currently is plugged in to the motherboard so I don't want to be taking that one!

I have no other free cables 4/6/8 pin connectors from my PSU and was wondering if I will require a new PSU to install the GFX card or is there an option to add additional cables to a PSU (as I'm a little confused to why my PSU would have less options being 800W)?

Thanks alot for any help!!

corndog1836

Distinguished

what is psu brand and model???

corndog1836

Distinguished

are there inputs on the PSU where you can plug modular cables in. I am doing research on your PSU now so hang on...

corndog1836

Distinguished
your PSU is an extremegear used by Cyberpower. I cant tell if you have additional inputs to connect both 8 and 6 pin to you gpu. have you checked fixed wires coming out of the power supply and is there any unfilled modular inputs on the psu available(something you could plug into). If it were me I would change the PSU. your PSU has bad reviews all over the net. LAST RESORT if you don't want to buy a PSU is to login into cyberpower forum and ask about PSU or email customer service.

Jonnehz

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Im no sure what you mean by more slots, I dont' want to open the powersupply so I think i'll just go with the option of getting a new PCU when I can afford it. Thanks alot for your help!

corndog1836

Distinguished

is your issue resolved?