Question PC stutters and massive FPS drops on every game.

Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone! My custom built used to work great up until about 3-4 months ago. Since then, the FPS dropped massively and games, such as CS2 or Fromsoft games, went from 200 for CS2 and 144 for FS, to 90-ish and 60 FPS, respectively.

I haven't done any massive changes and it seemingly came out of the blue. The PC is very well maintained and cleaned, with regular thermal paste changes and deep clean at least once a month.

Here is a link to a Benchmark I did today, with my results, especially for the GPU being very well under the average for this piece of hardware.

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 2097926 - you can see that CPU and GPU benchmarks are 10 and 18% below the average for this component.

Benchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

The main problem is FPS. Things I've tried to fix/change but to no avail:

Thermal paste change/deep cleaning of dust
Stresstest/benchmarks - showing no errors
Disabled/Enabled XMP - nothing changes
Temperature monitoring - nothing out of the ordinary, however, I noticed on a lighter game it maintained at 85C (CPU) which was slightly too high.
Updated drivers of the CPU and GPU, even rolled back to previous versions
Clean boots and memtest86 done - nothing
Crystaldisk tests
Samsung magician - nothing outstanding
The final step I took was to completely wipe the PC and reset it - still the same if not worse.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read/reply!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Userbenchmark can't tell us what the make and model nor your PSU's age is, please include it.

Please delete if not allowed on this subreddit
Subreddit?

The highest your platform will go due to the chipset is DDR4-2666MHz.

You might want to run DDU, remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please walk us through this.

Oct 16, 2023
Userbenchmark can't tell us what the make and model nor your PSU's age is, please include it.

Please delete if not allowed on this subreddit
Subreddit?

The highest your platform will go due to the chipset is DDR4-2666MHz.

You might want to run DDU, remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please walk us through this.

Sorry for the confusion. The PSU is : ATX MSI MPG A650GF 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular - bought in 2020.

I've tried DDU before but I'll give it another go. Last time I did was around 6 months ago.

About the drivers - I usually manually check for Nvidia 3060 drivers once a month. If I happen to have fps drops after I've updated the driver, I simply go to their website and download the previous version I just updated from, to see if perhaps the new Nvidia drivers were causing the issue, but for now nothing.

Hello everyone! My custom built used to work great up until about 3-4 months ago. Since then, the FPS dropped massively and games, such as CS2 or Fromsoft games, went from 200 for CS2 and 144 for FS, to 90-ish and 60 FPS, respectively.

I haven't done any massive changes and it seemingly came out of the blue. The PC is very well maintained and cleaned, with regular thermal paste changes and deep clean at least once a month.

Here is a link to a Benchmark I did today, with my results, especially for the GPU being very well under the average for this piece of hardware.

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 2097926 - you can see that CPU and GPU benchmarks are 10 and 18% below the average for this component.

Benchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

The main problem is FPS. Things I've tried to fix/change but to no avail:

Thermal paste change/deep cleaning of dust
Stresstest/benchmarks - showing no errors
Temperature monitoring - nothing out of the ordinary, however, I noticed on a lighter game it maintained at 85C (CPU) which was slightly too high.
Clean boots and memtest86 done - nothing
Crystaldisk tests
Samsung magician - nothing outstanding
The final step I took was to completely wipe the PC and reset it - still the same if not worse.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read/reply!
UBM is showing you have too much other stuff running when running the benchmark.

Try this.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Oct 16, 2023
UBM is showing you have too much other stuff running when running the benchmark.

Try this.
Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

New bench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859384

I also did what was first suggested and ran DDU - removing all Nvidia/Intel/AMD drivers in Safe model. I closed everything and ran the UBM - no idea why it still says such a high background usage, could this be the issue?

New bench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859384

I also did what was first suggested and ran DDU - removing all Nvidia/Intel/AMD drivers in Safe model. I closed everything and ran the UBM - no idea why it still says such a high background usage, could this be the issue?
To use almost 6GB of ram at startup says you have a bunch of stuff loading/running.

Make the startup group skinny.

Oct 16, 2023
To use almost 6GB of ram at startup says you have a bunch of stuff loading/running.

Make the startup group skinny.
I'm not sure how it's possible, I even did a complete Windows Reset and removed all the apps I have. Before this bench I removed every single app on startup except Defender. I literally have next to no apps running when the pc boots :( At least the Task manager Startup tab shows everything is Disabled.

I'm not sure how it's possible, I even did a complete Windows Reset and removed all the apps I have. Before this bench I removed every single app on startup except Defender. I literally have next to no apps running when the pc boots :( At least the Task manager Startup tab shows everything is Disabled.
Stuff can also start from the task scheduler and also the registry so you need to do some snooping.

Just for yuks disable the sysmain service.

Oct 16, 2023
Stuff can also start from the task scheduler and also the registry so you need to do some snooping.

Just for yuks disable the sysmain service.
Thanks I will try this!

I have an update as today I logged in CS2 and the FPS was back to 220+ at high settings, so everything was back to normal.

However, since we have frequent power cuts, and I thought that maybe that is what is damaging the PC, I connected a UPS (Eaton 5E). Upon booting the computer again, it is back to its slow self, and my FPS is back to 80-90ish. Could the UPS be a bad idea or am I really reaching? Low FPS usually occurs directly after a power cut if I was in-game, but after 1-2 days it usually stabilizes.
The PC doesn't feel well grounded either as I frequently get small shocks around the case or monitors.

Thanks I will try this!

I have an update as today I logged in CS2 and the FPS was back to 220+ at high settings, so everything was back to normal.

However, since we have frequent power cuts, and I thought that maybe that is what is damaging the PC, I connected a UPS (Eaton 5E). Upon booting the computer again, it is back to its slow self, and my FPS is back to 80-90ish. Could the UPS be a bad idea or am I really reaching? Low FPS usually occurs directly after a power cut if I was in-game, but after 1-2 days it usually stabilizes.
The PC doesn't feel well grounded either as I frequently get small shocks around the case or monitors.
Take the ups out of the mix and see if the fps go back up.

If you suspect power/grounding problems perhaps get an electrician to come in and check out stuff.

Oct 16, 2023
This is a sort of follow-up of a previous topic I posted here, actually I've posted a few, as for a year nobody has been able to help me and I'm getting desperate:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ps-drops-on-every-game.3844363/#post-23260359

My issue is very strange as it keeps coming and going, I am posting now recording extremely low FPS (40-50 on Elden ring and 80-90 on CS2) whereas I usually run these games with 140+ FPS. I have come to peace that I might have to replace some parts but I would love to know which ones, and hopefully not the GPU as I can't afford a new one at the moment. I even bought a PSU in case that was the issue with power cuts but its not.

Today, the issue came back and the benchmark results are terrible, especially RAM and Disk:

View: https://imgur.com/a/53O9DIq

Even worse results 2 months ago: View: https://imgur.com/nu3i97N

The Samsung 970 Evo SSD does not get detected by Userbenchmark, the 860 EVO gets classified as very poor, on top of that the RAM shows as low and there seems to be "Very high background CPU" - I have only a browser with 2 tabs open as of time of test. No games or any other apps, and on Clean boot as well.

Link to old Passsmark bench: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=209792601277
Link to UBM (I know its not trustworthy but its consistently showing these results): https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

Every single Benchmark shows "very high background CPU" and all above 70% - I have no idea why this is, even after a complete PC reset it remains the same.

I am sorry if pushing my luck on this, and I am legit willing to pay anyone that can help me get to the bottom of this issue, at least to buy you a beer for your time, I am just that desperate.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023
Take the ups out of the mix and see if the fps go back up.

If you suspect power/grounding problems perhaps get an electrician to come in and check out stuff.
To reply to this, with our without the PSU, the issue eventually comes back.

I even took my PC to a repair store 1 month ago, left it over 2 days (right after a complete reset, even wiping all files) and even they couldn't find anything wrong. I don't install any files I don't trust nor do I make changes to the PC settings that I don't understand.

To reply to this, with our without the PSU, the issue eventually comes back.

I even took my PC to a repair store 1 month ago, left it over 2 days (right after a complete reset, even wiping all files) and even they couldn't find anything wrong. I don't install any files I don't trust nor do I make changes to the PC settings that I don't understand.
You have one more bios update.

Also check the chipset driver to see if that needs an update.

Did you run ubm like I said in post #6?

Oct 16, 2023
You have one more bios update.

Also check the chipset driver to see if that needs an update.

Did you run ubm like I said in post #6?
Hello Bob,

Sorry what bios update? I tried that in the past and I don't think it worked. About running UBM - yep I've tried that after a Clean boot, all programs closed and still shows high background usage. Even after wiping my pc clean.

Chipset driver, not sure which one exactly or how to do that?

Hello Bob,

Sorry what bios update? I tried that in the past and I don't think it worked. About running UBM - yep I've tried that after a Clean boot, all programs closed and still shows high background usage. Even after wiping my pc clean.

Chipset driver, not sure which one exactly or how to do that?
The link shows bios 1801 which is newer than what you have.

Chipset......look in program and features see if it shows the current driver you are using then compare to what the mobo site offers.

Oct 16, 2023
The link shows bios 1801 which is newer than what you have.

Chipset......look in program and features see if it shows the current driver you are using then compare to what the mobo site offers.

So, I've updated the Chipset Driver, updated the BIOS, ran the PC completely empty and clean, did a new UBM - seems to be a great improvement to be honest, however, games still run with low FPS.

I see that the CPU is fine, GPU also probably okay, but Im struggling to understand why the 970 is undetected and the 860 is showing very poor. The RAM performance is expected as its not a very fast ram.

Also worthy to note: A few months ago, my D drive kept disappearing, like completely undetectable. If I was in a game installed on the D drive it would just crash the game. This only got fixed by itself, but I can't seem to shake the feeling something is really wrong with my drives.

Cheers

View: https://imgur.com/JwQADSe

Jul 2, 2024
1: change psu.
Test it if same psu OK.

2 test ram take all ram out keep 1 in lower resolution if ram can't handle it just monitor the lag.

If no lag ram issue.
If lag then ram.

3 test gpu with testers.

Test cpu with testers temps for cpu gou.

It's simple strait forward.

4 check your drive if not using ssd and your using hard drive change it switch to ssd.

Last. Virus

Extra
Remove all extra bits
Keep 1 ram
New ssd try it get old one out
Borrow one try it

Open task manager
Check drive c % usage
Check gpu cpu %

Check taskmanager high % usage and investigate what's eating resource.

Resource monitoring tool.

Also you mentioned cleaning cpu,now your standards of cleaning we don't know. What steps you took. Did you apply to much or to less, this can't be ignored, thermal pasting it on off can lead to issue.

When system lags it can be caused by
Corruption
Virus
Drive
Ram
Driver
Cpu

Strip all out check 1 by 1
Gpu

One last thing
One last thing do not ignore

People don't know about ssd and hdd

Ssd. If you got xxx gb say 500gb you need to keep half of that reserved if it's drive c or other drive.

If you fill it up max it will lag.

Example I have 2tb ssd
I will keep unpartioned drive 400gb free
This will prevent drive filling up as 4p0 gb is free.

Si please answer. Check all your drives if it is 70% just back it up to another drive for the sake of test move all files to usb hdd.

This way your drive is then 70% free now and will run fast again.

Drive c 80% or 90% full
Transfer or delete till drive is 80% free

Do you see big red line on drives empty them make free space am talking 80% free it up again move all files to usb drive
Test it

This is a big issue not many notice or know but yes this is a problem to your issue

Last edited:
Reactions: NovemberRaiN404
So, I've updated the Chipset Driver, updated the BIOS, ran the PC completely empty and clean, did a new UBM - seems to be a great improvement to be honest, however, games still run with low FPS.

I see that the CPU is fine, GPU also probably okay, but Im struggling to understand why the 970 is undetected and the 860 is showing very poor. The RAM performance is expected as its not a very fast ram.

Also worthy to note: A few months ago, my D drive kept disappearing, like completely undetectable. If I was in a game installed on the D drive it would just crash the game. This only got fixed by itself, but I can't seem to shake the feeling something is really wrong with my drives.

Cheers

View: https://imgur.com/JwQADSe
Post a link to the ubm results page.

Reactions: tessa8