Gmail Becomes World's Top Email Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I just love the ease of access with Gmail and YouTube integration. If I sign into my Gmail, I'm signed into my YouTube! Multiple sign ins are a hassle and this is already a lovely combination!

Love the layout and ease of use as well. Keep going Google! Now all I need from you is Google Fiber :|

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Gmail is also linked to all of your other Google services, so it is MUCH more convenient to have an account with them if you use their features a lot (Like Android users).

Hotmail is linked to 2-3 services.. Sure my main E-Mail account is using Hotmail(Outlook, whatever they made it now) but it isn't as interconnected as Google's option.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow i'm surprised people use those other ones. i honestly thought gmail was wiping the floor with everyone else right now. i have completely abandoned those other email sites.

Hotmail has nothing to do with spam. That's all the user. If you pick an obvious account or give it out like an idiot you will be spammed. On any provider. Period.

I have a "real" gmail account, an old private hotmail account, another old hotmail account used for business sign ups/internet purchased that I can always abandon, and a work email. Had them for YEARS. NONE have ever been spammed because I don't hand them out to just anyone.

The only place I have ever gotten spammed was my college assigned email.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ushyperion[/nom]I'm surprised so many people still use hotmail... It's nothing but spam. GMAIL FTW[/citation]

+1 on that ....

@unksol also explain to me how i got wow related spam and later on diablo 3 with an email account associated solely with bnet...

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]I just love the ease of access with Gmail and YouTube integration. If I sign into my Gmail, I'm signed into my YouTube! Multiple sign ins are a hassle and this is already a lovely combination![/citation]
I hate it for that. I use gmail for shopping accounts and I don't want google data mining what videos I watch nor what type of searches I do. What information they sell to profit from I don't want it to be specific to this account. For other things (game accounts, mailing lists, etc) I've used hotmail for years and haven't had any issues with rampant spam. Like unksol said, spam is not tied to what type of account but the user. I get more spam on gmail than hotmail and that's probably because one of the sites I have an account with probably sold my information (scumbags) to third parties. It's just one or two spam emails once every other day but I seem to get em more often on gmail.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]I hate it for that. I use gmail for shopping accounts and I don't want google data mining what videos I watch nor what type of searches I do. What information they sell to profit from I don't want it to be specific to this account. For other things (game accounts, mailing lists, etc) I've used hotmail for years and haven't had any issues with rampant spam. Like unksol said, spam is not tied to what type of account but the user. I get more spam on gmail than hotmail and that's probably because one of the sites I have an account with probably sold my information (scumbags) to third parties. It's just one or two spam emails once every other day but I seem to get em more often on gmail.[/citation]

Then sign out when you're doing everything else but shopping. It isn't that hard. Besides, you use Google accounts for shopping, but you're worried about what videos you're watching and what you're searching for. Really? I'd think it would be the other way around.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
My college uses the Gmail 'system' for our student email accounts. Even though it is @maricopa.edu email address it still behaves like Gmail.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
yahoo mail sucks, it always have this "keep me signed in" checked, despite I unchecked it for once. The next time i revisit, I have to uncheck again.

It seems those idiots in yahoo think u should be keep ur login detail in public computer.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm surprised that so many people still use Hotmail and Yahoo. I guess these are just people that have had accounts with them forever. Gmail has had a vastly better interface since it's initial launch.

The new 'Outlook' version of Hotmail is actually pretty decent though. I still prefer Gmail, but Hotmail is a lot better than it used to be. Yahoo is still crap though. (I have accounts with all 3 of them, though I rarely use the yahoo one).

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
i have accounts with all three of the major ones. I use yahoo as my main, I'm using the yahoo classic look, guess its because I'm familiar with it and don't need anything fancy. I like gmail, but yahoo mail provides everything I need to I don't need to change. I absolutely hate hotmail, I get bombarded with spam, I barely get any spam with yahoo or gmail. BTW I give my school email to everyone which is linked to my yahoo account yet my hotmail account gets tons of spam no matter how many times I label emails as junk. IMO hotmail is by far the worst of them all.

CocoHacker

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Move on Thomas. Its quite simple nowadays to import/export contacts n stuff. Use mail forwarding to your new account, until it becomes your primary mail id.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i dislike yahoo its just sooo damn bloated ... and cumbersome... i have everything on Gmail now ... i stopped using hotmail back when it was limiting you to 25mb's and all the spam would get tru :)

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I'm always signed into Youtube, so the first comment doesn't apply to me; I like Outlook.com now with their alias management. Infinite storage is nice but not essential. I don't see Gmail as having a big upper hand compared to Microsoft's offering now.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I started using gmail as my default email because its model was to never delete anything. It was also the first decent spam filter. So I have my life story starting like 7 years ago. I also liked that I could switch Internet service providers not being tied to an ISP (This is a legacy bad experience from the dial-up days).

I used to have Yahoo and Hotmail, but hotmail kept deleting my records every time I would go more than 2 months not using it so I stopped it years ago. I had Yahoo as well, but the GUI looked so 90's I stopped using it.

Reading this news I realize I thought Gmail had being number one for at least 6 years.

The whole Google ecosystem is very useful. Plus you can mix and match the services with other cloud company services, unlike other golden cage companies.

G

I stopped using Gmail after they forced you to connect your email account to your Youtube account, which made my real Youtube account inaccessible unless I hand out my phone number for them. The Evil Empire has no reason to have my phone number, so it's easier just to use alternatives, such as GMX for mail and Vimeo for videos. No phone numbers required in those so far. When they also will require, it's time to change providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.